• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NOW I AM MAD..... THE ORACLE IS A RAG

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

I read that article too when it got posted on another board.

I recently spent the day wandering around the USF campus.  Out of a combination of respect and the desire to not have to put up with any crap that day, I chose not to wear any Florida based college clothing and wore an old Outback Bowl shirt instead.

While it sucks that our schools have many UF and FSU legacies..and UM groupies, it's going to take a good generation or two to be able to build that large, loyal base.  Calling someone a "traitor" for still cheering for the team they cheered for growing up is rather unfair and in many cases, inaccurate.  I cheer for my childhood team still and wear apparel I own, but I go to many of my school's sporting events and would put my school in front of my childhood team in any event.

Putting the girl on trial Salem style is ignorant.  Just accept that it takes time to build a UF like fan base and move on.

And Bullheaded, there is nothing wrong with the Buckeyes. ;)

But she's wearing it on campus.  If she wants to wear a UF shirt to "support"... then fine, just don't wear it on campus.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  958

this article made me sick...

it should have never been published, hopefully there will be a counter article on monday.

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

It's just a shirt.  It's not like she's tattooing something on her arm to support UF.  I just think you all are getting a little carried away.

It's just a shirt.  It's not like she's tattooing something on her arm to support UF.  I just think you all are getting a little carried away.

What exactly is the purpose of wearing a UF shirt on USF's campus?

Is there a UF event on campus?  Is UF in Tampa playing a game?

Are you telling everyone on campus that you are supporting UF?

Really... what is the point?  Leave the UF shirt at home when you go to USF.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

If you wanted to cheer for UF, you should have gone there. If you can't get into UF, you have no right cheering for them, because they think they're better than you. In fact, to cheer for a school that rejected you is the very definition of pathetic.

But we've been over all this before and some of you will disagree and some of you will agree and no one will ever decide on anything.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

I think the whole point is that everyone loves a winner. If you win then you will have all kinds of bandwagon fans rooting for you and wearing your school colors. One day, USF will be winning more which will get more bandwagon fans. USF football is well on its way, so it cant be long before USF basketball starts to win.

What exactly is the purpose of wearing a UF shirt on USF's campus?

Is there a UF event on campus?  Is UF in Tampa playing a game?

Are you telling everyone on campus that you are supporting UF?

Really... what is the point?  Leave the UF shirt at home when you go to USF.

What's the point of wearing any shirt?  It's clothing.  It would be nice to have an unlimited supply of shirts for the team of our choice, but not everyone does.

The state of Florida by nature is a fairweather/bandwagon state.  You have plenty of kids that never went to the schools, but cheer the hell out of UF and FSU(ironically, these kids are usually the ones that have no idea what their team has accomplished compared to other programs) and go to other state schools for a specific program or because they got rejected.  As for fairweather, look no further than UM and their wannabe fan base.

If some student wearing a UF or FSU shirt on campus is enough to get you all crazed, that's a sign of an inferiority complex and it should be checked out.  Seriously, I'd use my energy on better things than a shirt you wear on an average day such as bringing more people to games.  Hell, even if they decide to wear the wrong school's colors there(which is dumb IMO), at least they are there helping build the fan base.

What's the point of wearing any shirt?  It's clothing.  It would be nice to have an unlimited supply of shirts for the team of our choice, but not everyone does.

::)

DP... that was weak.  C'mon.  We're talking about wearing another schools shirt on campus.  If it's just clothing, then why not wear a generic shirt?  What's the point of wearing another schools shirt on campus... are you trying to tell everyone that you are a fan of that school? Really... what's the point?

Do you remember your HS days?  Would it be normal to wear a shirt from another HS?  What message are you trying to send?

"It would be nice to have an unlimited supply of shirts for the team of our choice, but not everyone does."   But someone has enough shirts of another school?  DP!!!! C’mon.  It’s not like all of us wear school shirts everyday.

If some student wearing a UF or FSU shirt on campus is enough to get you all crazed, that's a sign of an inferiority complex and it should be checked out.  Seriously, I'd use my energy on better things than a shirt you wear on an average day such as bringing more people to games.  Hell, even if they decide to wear the wrong school's colors there(which is dumb IMO), at least they are there helping build the fan base.

Well... if that's how UCFers handle it, then fine.  However, I'm not putting up with that BS.  Not at my alma mater.  I have no problem with people wearing other school colors outside of campus or outside a school event to support that team (whether it's because you grew up following them or because your great-grandfather went there).  You support who you want.  However, like I said, what is the purpose of wearing a non-USF shirt on campus? What's the message?  What's the point?  I would never wear a Duke shirt on USF's campus or a USF event... the same thing if I was at Duke.  I give respect to that university and the people who attend/work/teach at that school.  It's a slap in the face wearing/showing school colors of another university on campus.  

I will continue to call out people who do it.  I’m not in the minority, nor is UCF (ask them).

Sorry, but you’re in the minority with this subject.

High school?  High school transplants are not nearly as plentiful as college ones.  There are so few, I can only think of USF's Mike Ford as an example.  He spent 2 years at my old high school(well after I left) and then transferred to the rival high school for his final 2 years(I guess there was more satisfaction when he got owned in the state playoffs by his old school, but I digress).  I don't think you really can compare high school to college because A..There are so many high schools, B..The tradition of college is much deeper than high school and C..Gators Suck(thrown in for good measure).

When I was at USF, I wore an OSU Outback Bowl shirt.  My reasoning?  The Outback Bowl is 15min down the road, so it's a local game.  That and I didn't want to wear any shirts that sport my school.

Also, at this time of year, where a school like UF is on the verge of a national title(or after they won in football), people who cheer for them outside of campus(like you would for Duke if at USF) come out of the woodwork and wear those colors.  At that point, you just have to bite the bullet and deal with the onslaught for a couple of weeks.  That's why I don't like Florida schools winning because all the closest/fairweather/bandwagon fans come out of hiding like little roaches.

Seriously, I understand why anyone would be upset about wearing the wrong colors on campus.  All I'm saying is that energy should be used to help promote the school in a good way instead of condemning people.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

The school u attend doesnt always have to be ur die hard fav team, but u by no means should root against ur school just to piss people off or be the rebel... Thats just stupid..

Maybe just because you are a buckey but I have to disagree completely. [highlight]The school you attend does have to be your die hard favorite team. [/highlight]You can be fans of other teams but there will not be another "your" school. Academics seem to hate to admit this but there is a direct connection between the respect you get for that piece of paper hanging in your office and the success/recognition of your athletic programs. If you want to make that piece of paper more valuable than you do everything in your power to promote respect of your school and your support of athletics is a big part of that. Putting any other school above your own not only is disrespectful to the school but it also indirectly helps to devalue that piece of paper.

Who made these rules?  Being a fan is NOT a sport.   Being a fan is NOT based on legal stipulations.  I also don't think USF winning the Big East will make my Electrical Engineering degree look any better to a company that might want to hire me.  Maybe if I was getting my degree in athletics?  I understand that you guys want all the students to like USF sports.  I do, too.  But it will change with time and winning, not being an a-hole to everyone that grew up supporting another team first.  We need all the fans we can get.  

If we have an amazing season, starting by beating Auburn, then perhaps we pick up all the bandwagon fans.  I don't think Miami sold out every game last year.  It's the same at every school.  If we win consistently people will figure it out.  I try to talk to fellow USF students at my job and they have no clue what is going on with USF, but they sure know what is going on with respect to the national media attention and their other FL schools.  They laugh at the bowl games we go to.  It's just casual fans and bandwagons fans, that's how they are.  Deal with it.  Not everyone is like you.  Try to promote, be positive, tell people about Mike Ford (I play football on campus every week and hardly anyone I play with knows about him), but there is no reason to attack people that are not like you.

Let people support who they want.  Being a fan is not a job for most people.