• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

You know what is funny about the USF job search is

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

that none of these up and coming midmajor coaches want to take the tough challenge to coach USF. They won take the job because they know it could be a coaches killer. It looks like more and more everyday that USF is going to have to hire a former has been coach that is doing TV. A coach like Mike Jarvis would kill to jump on board because they have something to prove. Pete Gillen and Mike Jarvis know that it is going to be hard to find a job after they flamed out during their last coaching stints, so the USF job is the perfect opportunity for them to revive their coaching career. I for one wouldnt mind hiring a Mike Jarvis right now because he brings an interesting personalty to USF. I just hope that he stays clean with the program though, and not make the same mistakes that he did while at St Johns. He was a heck of a coach if you check the track record.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I am just curious aout why people say this job is a coach killer.  Which USF basketball coach's career was hurt by tenure here?  Lee Rose?  He was ready to retire and took a job in the NBA he never pursued another HC job  Bobby Paschal?  He stayed with USF and was working in the AD's office.  I don't know that he pursued another HC job.  Seth Greenburg?  Made a big move from CUSA USF to the ACC and just coached VT to a pretty good season with  win in the NCAA tourney.  

The job is hard work and there is a lot involved in turning it around.  it certainly will take a special person, but you can say that about any job in the BE.

People say it is a coach killer, but I don't see where any of our coaches careers have been negatively impacted.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

If a coach doesn’t want to come here because it’s too hard then we don’t want him. We don’t want another RMC.

logo.gif

USF's desires unrequited in effort to attract coach

Pelphrey stays put; McCullum says he would have declined job if he had known about Big East move.

By GREG AUMAN

Published March 27, 2007

TAMPA - In a span of 24 hours, two of the top known candidates for the USF men's basketball coaching vacancy politely said they weren't pursuing the job, with Winthrop's Gregg Marshall and South Alabama's John Pelphrey telling a Big East school they'd rather stay and coach in the Big South and the Sun Belt, respectively.

As the Bulls and athletic director Doug Woolard continue their search, the lure of coaching in the Big East is one of the biggest draws. At the same time, the lingering question is whether USF's position near the bottom of the tough 16-team league may be scaring coaches away.

Just ask Robert McCullum, who was hired from Western Michigan in 2003 when USF was still in Conference USA, then found out six months later that the Bulls were moving into a much tougher neighborhood.

"If I had known we were going to the Big East, I wouldn't have taken the job," McCullum admitted Monday, 17 days after he was fired with two years left on his contract. "I was confident we would have success in Conference USA, there was no question in my mind. But when we moved into the Big East, we had the biggest mountain to climb."

[Last modified March 27, 2007, 00:11:58]

Link

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I am just curious aout why people say this job is a coach killer.  Which USF basketball coach's career was hurt by tenure here?  Lee Rose?  He was ready to retire and took a job in the NBA he never pursued another HC job  Bobby Paschal?  He stayed with USF and was working in the AD's office.  I don't know that he pursued another HC job.  Seth Greenburg?  Made a big move from CUSA USF to the ACC and just coached VT to a pretty good season with  win in the NCAA tourney.  

The job is hard work and there is a lot involved in turning it around.  it certainly will take a special person, but you can say that about any job in the BE.

People say it is a coach killer, but I don't see where any of our coaches careers have been negatively impacted.

To answer your question of which coach's career was hurt here... i ask you a question...

which coach had to deal with a 16 team league full of depth top to bottom, arguably the toughest league ever assembled, while having little to no resources.

Only one... Mac.  

To say that because we didn't "kill the careers" of past coaches doesn't really relate to our current situation.

Being in CUSA, or the sun belt, or metro, with a low budget, is not the same as being in the big east.  DW will find the guy that can handle that scenario and make it work for us.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

Velcro maybe you should change your quote. Mac is no longer an employee at USF.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

I am just curious aout why people say this job is a coach killer?  

Hint...from the first sentence in Greg's column:

....."Winthrop's Gregg Marshall and South Alabama's John Pelphrey telling a Big East school they'd rather stay and coach in the Big South and the Sun Belt, respectively."

When coaches want to stay in the Big South and the Sun Belt...vs jumping into one of the Top 3 Basketball Conferences in the nation...that might tell you something.

As others have noted...it looks more likely that USF will have to hire an unemployed coach...who has been recently fired from their job (either recently or a few years ago and not currently in the coaching profession).

Job #1 for AD...if you want to FIRE your Coach...make sure you have candidates willing to say YES in your back pocket.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

I am just curious aout why people say this job is a coach killer?  

Hint...from the first sentence in Greg's column:

....."Winthrop's Gregg Marshall and South Alabama's John Pelphrey telling a Big East school they'd rather stay and coach in the Big South and the Sun Belt, respectively."

When coaches want to stay in the Big South and the Sun Belt...vs jumping into one of the Top 3 Basketball Conferences in the nation...that might tell you something.

As others have noted...it looks more likely that USF will have to hire an unemployed coach...who has been recently fired from their job (either recently or a few years ago and not currently in the coaching profession).

Job #1 for AD...if you want to FIRE your Coach...make sure you have candidates willing to say YES in your back pocket.

shouldn't you be on the SEC board telling everyone that UCF deserves an invite?

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I have no doubt that Woolard will find the right guy.  I think this job is a tremendous opportunity, with almost no downside for a young, aggressive coach wanting to make a name for himself.

I posed the question because I see on this board many times that this job is a career killer.  Yes it will be difficult, but any job in the Big East is going to be difficult.  Here the expectations are so low  A couple of more wins and you become an instant hero at this point.  

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

I have no doubt that Woolard will find the right guy.  I think this job is a tremendous opportunity, with almost no downside for a young, aggressive coach wanting to make a name for himself.

I posed the question because I see on this board many times that this job is a career killer.  Yes it will be difficult, but any job in the Big East is going to be difficult.  Here the expectations are so low  A couple of more wins and you become an instant hero at this point.  

Good points...which is why Pelphrey and Marshall were chosen as top targets and fit exactly your description.

But now that those type of coaches have told USF no, who will Woolard look at next?

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

Good points...which is why Pelphrey and Marshall were chosen as top targets and fit exactly your description.

But now that those type of coaches have told USF no, who will Woolard look at next?

Do you or anyone else know exactly why those coaches turned down the USF job? There are a variety of reasons aside from the quality of USF that a coach would choose to bolt. Family, money, greed, other jobs, contentment.....the list goes on.