• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF is raising their standards…

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

I think 4.3's are the dumbest things I have ever seen.

Why does USF champion this retarded grade system.  GPA's are so inflated its absurd.

Get a 4.0 and spend your time studying for the SAT instead of trying to rack up 90 credits of college credit your junior and senior year.

A 4.0 and 1550 should get you into a great Ivy League school.

A 4.3 is like giving 110%...

it looks great but sounds stupid.

Joe -- who wonders why florida has temporary class rooms in the parking lots yet plenty of room to cut the property tax.

Do you have any idea of how many students a University the size of USF must wade through in a given "cycle"?  Let alone decide which ones to give a closer look to decide who gets the scholarships.  That "stupid" system helps them very quickly determine who is more accomplished and who offers the best chances of "paying off".

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you telling me if you had to stake your life on who would perform better at college you would take someone who took the easier route?  Of course not.  Not saying it can't happen, but you wouldn't stake your life on it.  That's the point of my post..

You're right, it shows dedication, which should translate well to college.  

I'm happy for your success and I'd gladly put my "record" against yours, but what would that serve as we're all "Bulls" here.

Agreed; I wasn't inferring anything about you specifically.

Rueb

Thanks Reub, no offense meant here, you're alright in my book.  I can intensely argue with anyone, but I don't take it personally.  I might appear to be your worst enemy on one subject, but your biggest ally in the next.  

Now to get things back on a more "fun" note; has anyone ever witnessed an "upper decker"?  A buddy of mine was talking about this subject and I had never heard of it until he explained it.  I was in a fraternity back in the day where the pranks were pretty good, but never did anyone try one of these...

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

actually that is not how they "cycle" through...

Per se my friend in the admissions office.

How the process works?

Once you meet a certain criteria you are an "automatic" admit.  They have a percentage "expect to enroll" in this class.

As you slide down the scale your application is more and more scruntinized.

Until there becomes a level where they will not admit anyone below that combination of SAT and GPA..

Your 4.3 really doesn't do much but boost the overall average GPA of the freshmen class.

The goal of the university is to have one of the highest GPA/SAT averages in the country because that is how people evaluate the quality of the institution.

People associate "how hard it is to get in" with the quality of the education offered at the school.

It is one of the many retarded things that surround the entire public education system.

All that I am pointing out is that you should have a "perfect" score for a GPA.  There should be a number that says this guy was "perfect."

When you have people with 4.2's that doesn't exist.

If classes are to easy so that 4.0's are easily achieved then maybe we should toughen up the classes.

Lord knows Florida kids aren't leading the nation in math and science testing.

my 2 cents.

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

USF: We've upped our standards, so up yours.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

I know.

How do you have better then a 4.0..?

Someone fill me in on that one.

When I was in high school a 4.0 was a guy who got straight A's in every class all four years..

This giving more credit for AP is just stupid.

"I have a 4.45 GPA"  

Whatever bro.

Maybe that is why Florida ranks like 47th in the country in avg SAT scores.

Flor-duh

I do agree with you on this one.  It is just like when athletes and coaches blather on about giving 110%.  It was funny when you just heard wrestlers say it back in the 80's because everyone knew wrestling was fake.  Then the serious athletes jumped on that cliche.

110%?  How can you have more than 100%?  If giving your all is 110%, then that is your 100% effort.  If you say that you give 10% more than your 100%, then that 110% is really your 100%.

On the flip side, how do you get more than 100% score on your grades?

exactly high tech..

isn't a 4.0 a perfect score?

HA - pretty funny Drummer boy..

And to keep this thread USF Sport related....  If there is one guy who is single handily responsible for helping raise the academic standards its probably Matt Grothe.

Why you say?

He was the principal reason for a great year for USF football and a landmark win at WV -- which led to a ton of exposure -- which led to more applications for admission -- which leads to more selectivity..  which leads to higher standards on average.

Nothing has helped raise the average admit scores for freshmen classes at UF -- more then there athletic programs.

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

HA - pretty funny Drummer boy..

Wish I could claim it... I've only seen it on about a million fraternity rush shirts. Nonetheless, I felt it needed to be added to the conversation.  ;D

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

I find it interesting that most of the people that were taking AP classes while in HS aren't even in college.  They're all drinking every night and have no jobs.

I cherish my NY education so much, Florida's system is just....weird.

Use a little bit of logic here fellas.  What you're saying would WORK if EVERYONE WAS TAKING THE SAME COURSEWORK!

I'd take a kid with a "B" in Calc than a kid who made all As and the highest course he passed was geometry!  

That's why the system has to do it this way.  

Let me try and put it into another perspective which may be easier to get across.

Think of it in a basketball sense.  Who would you bet on to win a winner take all game?

An ACC team with a 20-5 record or a Conference USA team with a 20-5 record?