• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pelphrey to be interviewed

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549
  • Days Won:  0

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

I follow UK Ruger, and I know that a very large segment of their fanbase want Pelphrey bad.  They can see the way he gets his kids to play(with heart, passion) and compare that to the robotic boorishness of Tubbyball.  He gets the most out of his guys and would do the same with BigEast caliber athletes at USF.

The only caveat to hiring him immediately is the lack of experience.  They want to see him work in a major conference first.

I predict Pelphrey and Ford will be big-time coaches ten years from now.  They were both a part of something very special on that team under Pitino, and I think they still carry that magic with them.

Glad to see someone else who actually knows about Pelphrey vs what they have read in the last few days.  People don't understand just how popular he is among the UK folks, especially some of the boosters who are calling for Tubby's head.

Talk about a tough job.  You can win 20 games and get to the tourney every year and unless you get to the final 4, you're viewed as a failure!  That's a tough pill to swallow.  

I know they want to see him coach in a bigger conference first, but what I'm hearing is that they are so pissed at Tubby they may make the move quicker than they "should".  I've heard they ideally would like to see the switch in 3 years.  Which would give Pelphrey 3 years at USF or wherever, but that's not ideal for USF.  Only for UK.  It's hard to do anything in 3 years as that only gives you one year with a team of guys "you picked" and they're still young at that.

Pelphrey is a good coach, but if I was him, I'd stay at South and wait on the UK job.  His wife loves the area, he's loved here, expectations are low and it costs a ton more to live in Tampa than Mobile so USF would have to really pile up some cash to make it so much more attractive and I don't think USF has that kind of money.  If they went to $400K, that's a paycut for JP when you factor in the cost of living differences.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

Ive visited and partied in L.A. (lower Alabama) a few times and always felt welcome and had fun.  Great place.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

They may talk about Pelfrey but no way has a guy that has coached somewhat successfully in the Sunbelt proved that he deserves one of the top jobs in college basketball.

UK will fire Tubby this year (after the tourney) and they will make a move for Donovan. He hasn't signed an extension with UF. Maybe he will use UK as leverage to get everything he can out of UF and stay but his whole team is leaving and it maybe the right time to move on. UK can throw boatloads of money at him.

If not successful with Donovan then they might go after a coach like Gilespie. Someone who has proven they can win at an elite level. Not a guy from the Sunbelt who's been in the tourney once with an early exit. Maybe in the future but he'll have to prove it at a higher level.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  928

I follow UK Ruger, and I know that a very large segment of their fanbase want Pelphrey bad.  They can see the way he gets his kids to play(with heart, passion) and compare that to the robotic boorishness of Tubbyball.  He gets the most out of his guys and would do the same with BigEast caliber athletes at USF.

The only caveat to hiring him immediately is the lack of experience.  They want to see him work in a major conference first.

I predict Pelphrey and Ford will be big-time coaches ten years from now.  They were both a part of something very special on that team under Pitino, and I think they still carry that magic with them.

Glad to see someone else who actually knows about Pelphrey vs what they have read in the last few days.  People don't understand just how popular he is among the UK folks, especially some of the boosters who are calling for Tubby's head.

Talk about a tough job.  You can win 20 games and get to the tourney every year and unless you get to the final 4, you're viewed as a failure!  That's a tough pill to swallow.  

I know they want to see him coach in a bigger conference first, but what I'm hearing is that they are so pissed at Tubby they may make the move quicker than they "should".  I've heard they ideally would like to see the switch in 3 years.  Which would give Pelphrey 3 years at USF or wherever, but that's not ideal for USF.  Only for UK.  It's hard to do anything in 3 years as that only gives you one year with a team of guys "you picked" and they're still young at that.

Pelphrey is a good coach, but if I was him, I'd stay at South and wait on the UK job.  His wife loves the area, he's loved here, expectations are low and it costs a ton more to live in Tampa than Mobile so USF would have to really pile up some cash to make it so much more attractive and I don't think USF has that kind of money.  If they went to $400K, that's a paycut for JP when you factor in the cost of living differences.

He must live in Fairhope if his wife loves the area...

Being that you are up at Mobile, I'll take what you say over the people around here. Although he is not in my Top 5 he will still be a major upgrade. Correct me if I'm wrong but Mobile isn't a bball community. If he is loved in a town that either "War Eagles" or "Rolls Tide" then he can do his thing here.

They may talk about Pelfrey but no way has a guy that has coached somewhat successfully in the Sunbelt proved that he deserves one of the top jobs in college basketball.

UK will fire Tubby this year (after the tourney) and they will make a move for Donovan. He hasn't signed an extension with UF. Maybe he will use UK as leverage to get everything he can out of UF and stay but his whole team is leaving and it maybe the right time to move on. UK can throw boatloads of money at him.

If not successful with Donovan then they might go after a coach like Gilespie. Someone who has proven they can win at an elite level. Not a guy from the Sunbelt who's been in the tourney once with an early exit. Maybe in the future but he'll have to prove it at a higher level.

That's not the point.

The point is that they have followed his career and recognize he is a very good coach.  Take it FWIW.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

If USF can get 5 years out of Pelphrey, then it would be a good hire, but not anything less as it will take time for him to get his thing going down there.  Just like here at South, it took three years to turn around a terrible program no one cared about and now the last two years people are actually following South Basketball around here.  

Which is saying something bc as you said, people here are generally raised DIE HARD Bama & Auburn fans and there's a good number of LSU fans here as well.  I'm surprised South even tries to have D1 teams and it's a big reason they don't have football.  Everyone from here goes to the big 3 football games and no one would be left for South.

If he could get people talking about south and boosters interested in supporting the program here; then he can do it in Tampa.  It's just not going to be the INSTANT FIX that people on this board want bc he doesn't have the name of a Knight where kids will line up to come to USF in year 1.  The type of talent like a Durant that starts as a freshman and makes a huge impact.

USF could do a lot worse is all I'm saying.  At least with Pelphrey you'd know the kids were giving it their all.  He's great at playing the "we get no respect card" like he did against Syracuse and almost won.

JP garners alot of respect from Donovan and others which should tell you something about what people think about his abilities.  The guy can coach.  The question is, can he recruit to USF?  

Shoot, even Donovan would have to "sell" someone on USF at this point.  We have sucked for so long many people probably think the University of San Francisco when they see USF Basketball!

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

That's not the point.

The point is that they have followed his career and recognize he is a very good coach.  Take it FWIW.

My point was that Rueger's inside sources tell him that Pelfrey is the heir apparent to Tubby Smith. I disagree.

While UK fans follow him and believe he is a good coach (somewhat biased), I don't think he has proven anything yet. The current coach of Teaxas A & M CC coached at USA and had far more success. He led them to a victory in the first round of the NCAA's against Alabama and even had them ranked at one point. He won multiple Sunbelt titles while Pelferey has only won one in the 5 years he has been there. How come he doesn't have one of the premier jobs in college basketball?

I just don't think his body of work is all that impressive as far as we are concerned let alone UK.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

^^^ Mr. Arrow got into some trouble with the NCAA. I believe he left USA and went and coached with Tim Floyd at Iowa State and then the Bulls.

On top of that, Pelphrey is a pedigree of Pitino, and well all his coaches have had some seriously great success.

Tubby Smith

Billy Donovan

Herb Sendek

Ralph Willard (Holy Cross)

Sean Miller

Travis Ford

Anthony Grant

Reggie Theus

John Pelphrey

Have all made the NCAA tournament as a head coach in the last 4 years...(there are 11 more assistants or players who have been head coaches in the last 5 years)

Willard is someone I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned.  He's done a great job at HC, has great connections, is fairly well-known, and comes from Pitino.

Hmmmm.