• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pelphrey Can Speak Now...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  387
  • Days Won:  0

Woolard so far has kept our successful coaches and the only hire of which I'm aware (baseball's Prado and his entire staff) is excellent.

I'll trust him until he lets me down.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I think it's a tough road no matter who you bring here, I just don't believe Pelphrey won't be an upgrade.

But not much of an upgrade, on paper.... but DW apparently has a feel for these things so we'll just have to see.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549

I'm not against Pelphrey...I just had to insert my feeling on how the larger, established programs have more resources available - including the fact they are easier to recruit to - and can certainly take greater risk than a program like ours.  Pelphrey may be good.  But a program that can only accept little risk may be better suited going for a more proven commodity that the fan base, donors, and sponsors can relate to.  Someone that can build a program sorely in need of renovation from image to facilities to travel to the media.

I hear what you're saying, but the only proven commodity that USF will be able to get is a guy who failed somewhere.  If I'm Woolard, I stay away from failures and look to the future.

FWIW, a large number of Kentucky fans would love to have Pelphrey back after Tubby.  Most do want him to pick up some more experience though.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

I hear what you're saying, but the only proven commodity that USF will be able to get is a guy who failed somewhere.  If I'm Woolard, I stay away from failures and look to the future.

True perhaps - and I am not advocating any of these - but the "retreads" previously mentioned (Gillen, Lappas, Jarvis) were also successes before they came upon failure.  How many coaches move to three or more schools and find success every time?  I don't think it would be right to judge each only by their last stop and therefore will keep an open mind on these do-over guys.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Ok Trip so your telling me guys like Mike Brey (Delaware); Jay Wright (Hofstra); Billy Donovan (Marshall); Bruce Pearl (UW-Milwaukee); etc, Shouldn't have been hired by their institutions because they only had minor success at low majors? (Marshall was in the Southern COnference)

I'm really not that familiar with those guys previous records but did they have any success in the postseason or signature ooc wins in season? Has Pelphrey had either of those?

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Curious....the title of the thread says, "Pelphrey Can Speak Now."  Was he physically unable to speak previously because of a medical condition?  Had he taken a vow of silence?  :)

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Trip,

Bruce Pearl was the only one of that group, he made the sweet 16.

Jay Wright's Hofstra team made the NCAAs twice and were knocked out of the 1st round. Their biggest regular season win was a bad GT team one year. (They were in the America East Conference in those days)

Donovan never made the postseason at Marshall

Brey made NCAA's twice knocked out in the 1st round both times.