• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gillen's Stock Rising?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

I agree he underachieved at UVA.  But don't falsify his qualifications, saying he only went to one NIT at UVA.  And what I said about Evansville is true, so what exactly do you want me to say?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

Evansville has been to more NCAAs than USF has in the last 20 years.  They have more clout than us in reality.

Liberty has been to more ncaa's than us in the last 20 years. Do THEY have more clout than us?

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880
  • Days Won:  0

.........duke is duke.  they're on tv more than leave it to beaver reruns.........

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Wow. Haterade for Gillen.

The guy is a good coach who did get Virginia back on track after three really bad seasons of basketball. Did he do great? No, and was canned for it.

However the guy has an unbelievable resume looking at what he did at Xavier and Providence.

He wouldn't be my 1st hire, but I also wouldn't be terribly upset if he was our next coach.

(The sad thing is people said the same type of stuff about Prado's record not being great at UL)

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  0

But Joe -- he was at UVA for eight years.  That is plenty of time to get the ship headed in the right direction.

The Big East is just as deep as the ACC..

Why bring in a guy who couldn't get it done at a school with a billion dollar endowement and athletic facilites that are 10 fold what we have here at USF?

Makes no sense.

Other then Herman's remarks about not liking Bobby Lutz's mustache, I still haven't found a credible reason why he shouldn't be the top candidate to lead this program out of the gutter.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Actually his facilities sucked, he helped lead the charge to get the upgrades they have today. This year they opened a new arena.

You also have to understand that Virginia is a top 20 university that is overshadowed in their recruiting region by Duke, UNC, etc.

Not justifying him as a "great" coach, but the guy won at Providence and Xavier more than consistently. He wouldn't be my 1st choice, but I wouldn't cry if we got him.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

With all due respect, I think Bruce Pearl sweats at least as much as Pete Gillen. Gotta be careful tossing out superlatives like that ...

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Pearl is a close third on the sweat meter.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I am going to close the garage door and start up the car in 5 minutes.....

PETE GILLIEN?????

The guy went to ONE ncaa tourny from 1998-2005 at UVA!

Am I missing something here?

So lets hire the guy from UVA who got fired because he took the cavaliers to one NCAA tourny in 8 years over the guy from Charlotte who has been to 5 NCAA's in 9 years and the post-season 8 of the 9 years he coached there.

Fly me to the moon..

Has USF lost its mine?

usf has hired two guys from uva in  past