• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

As Auburn laughs...

Guest 1Bullsfan

USF against the SEC:

Lost to Arkansas 42-3

Lost to South Carolina A LOT to a little

We relish being the underdawg. I prefer us to win the Big East and lose to Auburn, then vice versa! Focus on winning the Big East, then aim for the national title. Don't get me wrong, I want to win all the time, but be honest.

As for beating Pitt in 2001, for a FIVE year old program to pull off that upset, it was HUGE. It would have been the #1 story if it wasn't the weekend prior to 9/11.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

USF against the SEC:

Lost to Arkansas 42-3

Lost to South Carolina A LOT to a little

We relish being the underdawg. I prefer us to win the Big East and lose to Auburn, then vice versa! Focus on winning the Big East, then aim for the national title. Don't get me wrong, I want to win all the time, but be honest.

As for beating Pitt in 2001, for a FIVE year old program to pull off that upset, it was HUGE. It would have been the #1 story if it wasn't the weekend prior to 9/11.

don't forget we also lost to Alabama and Kentucky of the SEC.  One day we'll get over that hump.  Whether or not it will be this year is the question.  I just hope we play well enough that we are in the game with a chance to win in the fourth.  If we play our game then its a possibility.  If we play like we did at Cincinnati and Louisville last year, then it will be a frustrating day.

Guest 1Bullsfan

Thanks, I forgot about UK and Alabama.

We lost to UK 17-9, but that's when Blackwell was the starter. As for 'Bama, we were tied at half, and didn't do anything after that.

Please remember the priority: WIN the BIG EAST!

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

We are not a good early season team on either side of the ball - see FIU, Mcneese, UCF.  

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

We are not a good early season team on either side of the ball - see FIU, Mcneese, UCF.  

Why were we not good on either side of the ball during those 3 games?????  Grothe had to come in and get acclimated to the game.  It is different this year.  We have most of the same players back, and they have become very familiar with each other's strengtths and weaknesses.   I don't see us in the same position as we were last year.  I do bullieve that it will be a well contested game whether we win or lose.

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

I wish we still had ucf to beat as a precursor to the auburn game, as previously scheduled...

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

I'd have to agree with that thought, but remember that in those games we had a freshman QB starting for the first time.

WHat I'll be more interested in seeing is the type of playcalling we'll see at the beginning of the season. Gregory is by no means a novice playcaller, but offenses tend to be a little more conservative to begin the year so that the kids start clicking together. Lots of high percentage passes with a short QB drop back along with a good dose of straight ahead runs are typical. On defense there usually isn't usually much complexity with blitzes, stunts, disguising coverages, etc. because early season games can usually be won on talent.

I think that's fine to begin the year, but we really need to be meshing well by game #3(Auburn). When we've had the most success has been in the past has been when we're aggressive on both sides of the ball (WVU last year, L'ville the year before). I'm hoping that both units show enough early on to allow the coaches to feel comfortable with an agressive game plan against the Tigers and Eers. If we struggle with the vanilla playcalling that is to be expected against Elon and UCF, then it spells big trouble for those tough games. We don't want to have our coaches hesitating to throw deep or take chances when we need to because a conservative game plan WILL get us beat.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Blade, Auburn is game 2 now.

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,260

Blade, Auburn is game 2 now.

Joe - you're right...forgot about that, my mistake. That just underscores the importance of that Elon game. If we're not crisp and it take us a few quarters to pull away...it doesn't bode well for us.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  35

Auburn should be very confident going into that game.  They are at home at will be favored.  But, we usually play best when we are the big underdog.  Look at last year at West Virginia and the year before vs Louisville.  I am not a big fan of moral victories, but I do think we need to keep the game close.  If we get blown out on national tv, everyone will bash the big east again.