• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If you were the AD what would you do with Mac

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I'll ask again.  If we keep him, what do you do next year if the results are close to being the same?  It's a question that needs to be asked if you look at the big picture.  The answer is easy if he does turn it around, but what if he does not.  How long do you allow the program to continue to be in a state of disarray if he does not turn it around.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

if the season ended today I would say let him go. Now in saying that if he wins the next three games then I MAY change my view

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,711
  • Days Won:  424

I was under the impression he signed a 5 year contact. Wouldn't next year be year 5?
And trip you highlighted two of my sentences and say they are wrong, but yet they are right.  then you say they dont pertain to our situation.  it would pertain to any teams situation.  Is USF different than anyone else?  Recruits dont want to play for a coach they dont know will be there the next year.  how does that not pertain to our situation????

You'd think such passionate fans as you two would be right on top of everything to do with the hoops program... I guess you're just too busy ******** to have seen the numerous posts that have discussed his six year contract and the financial hit we would take if he's let go after this year.

Sometimes you respond just to respond. Why?

Au contraire, mon ami... I responded this time to make a point .... like I do most of the time ...... and you, of all people, shoud not chastise anyone for responding just to respond.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,711
  • Days Won:  424

I'll ask again.  If we keep him, what do you do next year if the results are close to being the same?  It's a question that needs to be asked if you look at the big picture.  The answer is easy if he does turn it around, but what if he does not.  How long do you allow the program to continue to be in a state of disarray if he does not turn it around.

Assuming he's still here, if next year is not better than this year then I'd think DW would probably make a change. Next year will be the most talented team,  on paper, he will have had here.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

how will a no-name coach fill more seats and bring in more donors?

USF is not a career building job. any decent up and coming coach can see that we don't have the money to support a winning program in the BE just yet (i.e. Grant).  We pay mid major salaries yet we expect them to compete against the best. Would you take a job that pays the same but you would be expected to compete against much better competition?

How will they compete with schools that have budgets multiple times ours? Would you expect them to hit the ground running as far as recruiting goes? In the end we would be in the same situation regardless of who you bring in.

The name may change but the situation remains the same. 16th highest paid coach in the BE + 16th largest budget in the BE + 16th best facilities in the BE = 16th place in the BE.

94, you make some good points but are you telling me there isnt a guy ot there who is up for the challenge?  Or would love to be given the opportunity to coach in the big east and maybe be successful and boosting his career?  Why cant we do what VCU did with Jeff Capel, why cant that happen with us?  Now he is at Oklahoma getting top recruits.  There are guys out there dying to get in and get their names known.  Thats why we need a guy that when you interview him you can tell he has charisma and swagger.  Ask Jim Leyland about swagger, guy coached and loved guys like Barry Bonds and now gettin Gary Sheffield because of swagger.  he claims it is the most underrated quality in sports and coaching (especially recruiting).  I agree 100% with him there.  

and i didnt say a no-name coach, we have one of those now, I said a well known ex player or a successful mid major coach.  believe me i want the big name hire, but i hear so much how we cant afford it.  So lets find the diamond in the rough.  

And trip you highlighted two of my sentences and say they are wrong, but yet they are right.  then you say they dont pertain to our situation.  it would pertain to any teams situation.  Is USF different than anyone else?  Recruits dont want to play for a coach they dont know will be there the next year.  how does that not pertain to our situation???? 

Sometimes you respond just to respond. Why?

PS 94, we arent 16th in the Big East (place-wise) I believe we are like 14, give us some credit  :)

There may be some guys out there up for the challenge but the smart ones will stay away. VCU was able to do what they did with Capel and now Grant because those guys saw how VCU will spend the money in order to compete in their conference. The young guys also realize that if they are able to be successful there then it will lead to bigger and better things(i.e OU). I believe ???VCU's coach gets paid about as much as we pay with the potential for a huge payday if successful.

Don't you think it would be much easier to go in and compete in the colonial athletic conference against teams with similar budgets then it would be to come into the BE and compete against national powers that have budgets 2 and 3 times as large for the same pay?

Unfortunately USF would be considered a dead end job where VCU is a stepping stone.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,503
  • Days Won:  13

Assuming he's still here, if next year is not better than this year then I'd think DW would probably make a change. Next year will be the most talented team,  on paper, he will have had here.

Last year you guys said the same thing about this years team. That did well for us. 3-13. wooo hooo improvement.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

NO..

he signed a 6 years contract....

New coach: Robert McCullum  

Contract length: 6 years thru 2009

Base salary: $200,000

TV, shoe, apparel income: $50,000 [TV only]

It will costs us about 450 - 500K to send him packing.

That is the big wild card out there.  Do we have the money to send him on his way.?

Who knows.

I think he should be gone though.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

Whatever it is, I really do not pay attention to contracts and university money.  its not my job and i dont pretend for it to be.  

What i do know is that talented high school players do not play for coaches who thhey feel are not going to be around for their whole career at the school they choose to go to.  Nor do they like to play for coaches that have a losing track record like mac, nor play in front of a quarter filled arena, nor want to play for a team that has consistently been blown out by its competition.  that i do know.  

If we keep him just o save money we are turning our back on next season, imo.  You must admit, mac will not be able to recruit a the top of his ability (which isnt high) without a contract extension.  If it were my son going to usf i would say since you are going to be my son's teaacher and coach how can i be so sure you will be here after your 5th or 6th year whatever it is?  Mac could have an answer, but it would be a salesman answer.  Whatever it takes to make the deal, truth or no truth.  Ask ari about those deals.  

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

No recruit is going to play for a coach who is in the last year of his contract, with a poor track record, and no talks of a contract extension.

Mac isn't a good recruiter anyway, and with poor results what's the difference? The next coach is gonna get handed a certain quality of product either way. At the rate we're going, bringing in some JUCO kids isn't going to make a difference in the long run. Many coaches go this route in the first couple years of building a program.

By putting a winning product out on the floor. Jose Fernandez was a no-name coach when he got here, the difference in the men's and women's programs is huge. If McCullum was having similar success as Fernandez you would see big attendance and the donors would surely follow.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

No recruit is going to play for a coach who is in the last year of his contract, with a poor track record, and no talks of a contract extension.

Mac isn't a good recruiter anyway, and with poor results what's the difference? The next coach is gonna get handed a certain quality of product either way. At the rate we're going, bringing in some JUCO kids isn't going to make a difference in the long run. Many coaches go this route in the first couple years of building a program.

By putting a winning product out on the floor. Jose Fernandez was a no-name coach when he got here, the difference in the men's and women's programs is huge. If McCullum was having similar success as Fernandez you would see big attendance and the donors would surely follow.

Comparing men's and women's basketball is completely ridiculous.

Where is the huge attendance jump for Jose? How about the big donors for him? If they were the same then why hasn't he attracted either?

Doesn't RMC have one of the top Florida recruits coming in next year? We all salavated over him when he chose FSU. Everybody said Mac needed to land him or else. Now that he is transfering in nobody gives him credit.