• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Too many #$%# Northerners in this town...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594
  • Days Won:  0

Honestly, the "Big 5" needs to invite Drexel in. They beat Villanova, beat St. Joe's, beat Temple, lost to Penn, beat Syracuse this year. They've been better than La Salle for years.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812

collin

I agree with what you say about college, but you are a Phillies fan always. So you are not a baseball fan? If I moved to somewhere else with a pro team, this would NEVER happen, but hypothetically I would go to the games and watch the local team and by this I would become a fan.  before the Devil Rays started playing I was a Phils fan because I went to their spring training games and their minor league games and became a fan. Now I go to the D-Rays games.

Guest r_to_the_izzo
collin

I agree with what you say about college, but you are a Phillies fan always. So you are not a baseball fan? If I moved to somewhere else with a pro team, this would NEVER happen, but hypothetically I would go to the games and watch the local team and by this I would become a fan.  before the Devil Rays started playing I was a Phils fan because I went to their spring training games and their minor league games and became a fan. Now I go to the D-Rays games.

How could he be a Phillies fan and not a baseball fan? That makes no sense at all. If you have devoted your entire life to supporting a team, why the hell would moving "away" change that? How do you not understand this?

I love baseball, I have been around the game since I was 2. I was also born here in Tampa. The D-rays did not become a team until I was 10 or 11. My allegience had long been set on the only team I COULD watch, the Cubs. The Cubs took root in my heart, because there was no other team around. Just because the D-rays showed up didnt mean I was going to stop rooting for the team I grew up supporting.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812

collin

How could he be a Phillies fan and not a baseball fan? That makes no sense at all. If you have devoted your entire life to supporting a team, why the hell would moving "away" change that? How do you not understand this?

I love baseball, I have been around the game since I was 2. I was also born here in Tampa. The D-rays did not become a team until I was 10 or 11. My allegience had long been set on the only team I COULD watch, the Cubs. The Cubs took root in my heart, because there was no other team around. Just because the D-rays showed up didnt mean I was going to stop rooting for the team I grew up supporting.

Do you go to baseball games? do you watch it on TV other than Cubs? TBS had Braves on also. A lot of fans go to the live games when they like the sport. Do you fly to Chicago to see baseball live? My point is I like certain sports, lets say baseball. I live in a place that actually has live Major league baseball, I am going to attend games and by doing that will root for the home team. Or I could be like you and not go to games root for Cubs and call myself a fan.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

This thread has gotten retarded. One problem so many have on this board is they always are seeking to define what a "fan" is.

One person is not as good of a USF fan as another because of _____.

If you never attended a school, you shouldn't be a fan of that school (especially if your a Gator or Nole)

There is ONE requirement in my book from a "real" fan:

1) Support the team through thick and thin.

I don't care if your from Tampa and like the Yankees. I don't care if your from NY and like the Devil Rays. I don't care if you went to USF and like UF. Or if you went to UF and like USF. As long as when you call yourself a fan of a team you actually support them in the good and bad times so be it, it's your choice.

For each person that is a fan of a particular team your going to have a unique and very personal story as to why that person is a fan of a team. Does it really matter why they are a fan of that team? Seriously, I know Rizzo's commitment to USF is huge, and if his commitment to the Cubs is even 10% of that it's enough in my book to consider him a fan.

This thread should be locked because all it does is lead to an aweful discusson that takes the word fan beyond levels that a some of the greatest philosphers would. One rule: Support your team through thick and thin...no other reason to have to explain yourself.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  44

This thread has gotten retarded. One problem so many have on this board is they always are seeking to define what a "fan" is.

If you never attended a school, you shouldn't be a fan of that school (especially if your a Gator or Nole)

I don't care if your from Tampa and like the Yankees. I don't care if your from NY and like the Devil Rays. I don't care if you went to USF and like UF. Or if you went to UF and like USF. As long as when you call yourself a fan of a team you actually support them in the good and bad times so be it, it's your choice.

For each person that is a fan of a particular team your going to have a unique and very personal story as to why that person is a fan of a team. Does it really matter why they are a fan of that team? Seriously, I know Rizzo's commitment to USF is huge, and if his commitment to the Cubs is even 10% of that it's enough in my book to consider him a fan.

This thread should be locked because all it does is lead to an aweful discusson that takes the word fan beyond levels that a some of the greatest philosphers would. One rule: Support your team through thick and thin...no other reason to have to explain yourself.

Very very logical unbiast post.... i agree 100%!

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866

Well when I go to D-Rays games, I root for them to win.  But when I check box scores every morning, the first one I look for is still the Phillies.  I read Phillies message boards.  I read Philly.com every day during baseball season.  And if they're on TV here, I'll TiVo it.  I won't do those things for the D-Rays.  

Not sure if they still play halfball in Philly, but I think most kids these days would switch to wiffle anyway.  That's what we did in the suburbs anyway.  And yes I completely agree, it for sure should be the Big 6, the Dragons have been getting screwed for years.  

I think the team most opposed would be 'Nova actually.  Their schedule is already brutal, and with the Big East going to 18 next year, they'd be locked into 23 conference games a season out of the 27 you can play.  That's almost inhuman.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

You're playing fast with identity. Unfortunately, you're calling for a relativism that simply can't fly if we're going to establish any meaning whatsoever into identifying with a given team. Does it matter why a person is a fan of a team? Absolutely. For example, if I told you I'm an American citizen, but I'm cheering for the terrorists in Iraq, would you say "that's okay, it doesn't matter why you cheer for a given side, just that you do it enthusiastically." To play on the title of this thread, is it okay if I cheer for the South in the Civil War if I'm from Ohio?

To cheer for Mexico against the U.S. when they play in Raymond James next month?

Once you start drawing lines, you can't be a relativist. John Dickinson was a delegate to the Continental Congress from Philadelphia. He was a Loyalist and a believer in the British Constitution. He opposed the signing of the Declaration of Independence, but he realized one thing: he was a citizen of a colony that was about to go to war. He could have chosen the side of Britain, almost assured of victory in war, but he instead joined George Washington's Continental Army, where he defended New Jersey from British attack.

He had been raised in one tradition, but came to realize who he WAS and where he LIVED. UF : USF :: Britain : Colonies. They represent the boot that's been held over our heads for as long as we've existed. And why would you want to cheer for an entity that has carried the silver spoon in its mouth (and I'm speaking to all UF, FSU, Ohio State, Yankees, Red Sox, etc fans) for so very long, while we've survived on meager scraps?

It's like playing Dr. Mario VS but playing on level 1 while your competitor is on level 10, then gloating in victory.

Yes, sir, it matters why you're a fan of a team, and in my mind, if you don't cheer for alma mater first, you are traitorous to the first degree. It's slapping your mom in the face. That's what alma mater means. NOURISHING MOTHER.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Bobcat, your calling into question national loyalty and a political beliefs system vs. a group of men/women who play a game on the weekend.

Like I said everyone has a unique story as to why they're a fan of a certain professional team/college/even national teams (there are people who immigrated to the United States). To put limits on it has always seemed stupid to me because you don't know the kids situation.

Am I supossed to tell a kid that grew up an Alabama fan, went to every home game, his parents were 3 generations of alumni that he can no longer root for Alabama because he didn't have the scores to get in and has to now go to UAB?

Let me reverse it he's a genius and gets a full ride to Vanderbilt. Does he have ot quit being an Alabama fan because of that?

That is just one senerio of millions that are out there. Professional teams, large colleges, small college, minor leagues, national team, amatuer teams, whatever fancies you...One Rule: Be there threw thick and thin. Plain and simple.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

>:(

You're from Georgia and you complain about other transplants living in Tampa.  Wow!

#1 - I work at US Central Command and have a job that requires I live here

#2 - Once I got here, I decided to support the local teams

My complaint is not against those who have to live here (military folks, for instance)...my complaint is against those who A) Choose to live here AND B) Continue supporting their "home" teams over the local teams.

::)  Yeah... its so bad to have loyalty.  If you moved to Germany, would you then root for germany over the USA in soccer?