• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is USF football growing TOO fast?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Until we begin to play games that have some consequence on a regular basis, we just won't draw the interest of the general football fan in the Tampa or any other community.  Even playing a FAMU or UCF is just playimng another football game.  We've been playing winning football for 9 out of 10 years.  We have played and beaten top 10 teams.  We are beyond that.  We need to be playing a top ten team with a chance to win the division.  We need to be playing a top ten team for the chance to be a top ten team ourself.  If there is a perceived intensity for the game the football fan will show up to see good quality football being played.  We need to be playing regularly with something on the line and we will draw fans.  We are still a couple of years away from that, but it has to and can start this year.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

Its only growing too fast if you don't understand there will be growing pains.

IMHO USF is very close to a tipping point when several advances combine to make lower bowl seats unattainable without season tix.  A consistent top 25 ranking, a major bowl win, a major out-of-conference win and the always elusive 'buzz'; all of these are within reach and when they occur, the thousands of northern transplant college football fans will come on board.

It will happen; question is in next year or two, or within 5-10 years.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

I'm not worried at all about attendance.  If we starting beating teams like Auburn and continue to beat UL/WVU/Rutgers then it'll fix itself.  When we win the big east there will suddenly be thousands of fans that claim to have always supported USF, just like people came out of nowhere when the Bucs stopped sucking.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  538

I realize I'm gonna get a lot of "just win baby" replies here, and that's fine, but I think it's a legitimate concern.

The fan base is growing a large amount slower than the program is. With the bowl games, and the potential of the young players we have, and the potential of the recruiting classes that are improving each and every year, this team has a legitimate chance to do some pretty special things. Problem is, no one cares.

What happens when USF wins the Big East in the next year or 2?

Yeah, it'll be monumental for the program in so many ways, but there's one problem: it'll ALL be overshadowed by the local and national media saying: "What a young and exciting program they have there in Tampa, but look out in the stands, they barely sell out HALF of Raymond James and they only brought 10,000 to the Sugar Bowl. What an embarrasment."

You can almost see it happening, and it's scary. To me anyways...

..........and Dorothy turned and looked right into the lion's poor, weak eyes an said, "Have courage, Lion."

maybe if we wore some dynamic new uniform logos Mrs. Blackwell, you might buck up some?... wow.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I realize I'm gonna get a lot of "just win baby" replies here, and that's fine, but I think it's a legitimate concern.

The fan base is growing a large amount slower than the program is. With the bowl games, and the potential of the young players we have, and the potential of the recruiting classes that are improving each and every year, this team has a legitimate chance to do some pretty special things. Problem is, no one cares.

What happens when USF wins the Big East in the next year or 2?

Yeah, it'll be monumental for the program in so many ways, but there's one problem: it'll ALL be overshadowed by the local and national media saying: "What a young and exciting program they have there in Tampa, but look out in the stands, they barely sell out HALF of Raymond James and they only brought 10,000 to the Sugar Bowl. What an embarrasment."

You can almost see it happening, and it's scary. To me anyways...

..........and Dorothy turned and looked right into the lion's poor, weak eyes an said, "Have courage, Lion."

maybe if we wore some dynamic new uniform logos Mrs. Blackwell... wow.

I'm sure that's not necessary.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  936

Great discussion. I was wondering the same topic..

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

Well, should we start losing and hope the fans catch up that way?

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  116

Yes, Tampa and Florida are a bandwagon locations. The general public has a "oh, its only USF attitude", but this will change quickly. With the Bucs on the downturn, and USF on the upswing, I think you'll see a rapid change in the attitude towards USF next year.

Look around, USF gear is popping up more and more. The baseball team almost drew 1K for the opener vs. HighPoint. There is starting to be a buzz about USF in general. IF (a big IF), we come out the gate hot and undefeated in September and the Bucs fizzle out, Bulls football will be talk of the town.

In regards to the Sugar Bowl comment, be positive, anything can happed...what if its Gators/USF in the Sugar - Tebow v. Grothe....do you think USF will being ONLY 10K? Or if we play FSU in the Gator bowl? So far with these Bowl games, there has always been an excuse (Meinkeke - oh, its on NYE.....Pizza Bowl - oh, its only ECU)....if we get a showdown a top tiered ACC or SEC or Big10 school you bet the Bulls fans will come out of the wordwork.

So, to answer your question...is USF football growing too fast? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

OK, here comes the controversy.

Bring in teams that people want to see us play against and you will raise the attendance.  FAMU, UCF, WV were good draws.  Even though FAMU and UCF are not big names, there is local interest.  But Elon and Wofford?  I don't think so.

Playing these programs boost attendance but it doesnt grow the fan base. Filling the stands with the other team's fans is not how we should plan to sell out.

I think Shoop answered his own question...it comes down to winning consistantly. That's the only thing the team can control. So it's the only thing they should worry about. You know what they say, If you build it, they will come.