• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Six is the magic number

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

What will it take to get to MSG ?

After looking at the teams and remaining games I see six wins as the magic number for getting to the Garden.

WHO IS ALREADY IN:  Pitt,Marq,Georgetown,West Virgina,Louisville & Notre Dame

WHO IS OUT:  Cinci- six games left and would have to win five of them - not going to happen

Rutgars-four games left and would need all of them U-Conn at home and on the  road against St. Johns & Seton Hall -  not going to happen

MOST LIKELY IN:  Syracuse- Needs only one win and with three home games and road games against USF & Providence it takes a meltdown for the Orangeman not to make it.

DePaul- Needing only one win the Blue Demons should be able to get one between Cinci at home & USF on the road.

UConn- Not the powerhouse of old but needing only two wins with five games left they should be able to get those with Seton hall & Villinova at home and Rutgars on the road

Villinova-With six games left and only needing two wins they should get those with home games against Cinci & Rutgars.

Providence-  Although they have a tough remaining schedule they only need one win in six games and with three at home they should be able to get that win.  If not they would have to win a game on the road against Pitt,ND or USF.

BUBBLE TEAMS:

St. Johns- Needing only one win with five games left they have Rutgars at home .  If they don't win that game this team could be in serious trouble with Providence,Syracuse and Louisville on the road.

Seton Hall- They will need to go 500% for the rest of the year with three road games and three home games.  They will need an upset to make it.

South Florida- Needing three wins and only five left on the schedule there is no room for error especially with Louisville on the road.  Tough but not impossible.

I guess I am not packing my bags for NY this year but I did get to Bowl games the last two years.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Spelling check- its Villanova.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981

I think '07 is the only magic number we have at this point.

*%^%^$*((%$%^$$  Spell check - I hate spelling   ;D

We may be on life support but not dead yet.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981

*%^%^$*((%$%^$$  Spell check - I hate spelling   ;D

Download Firefox 2, it automatically spell checks as you type, kind of like Word. It doesn't do grammar though as you can see from my posts.  

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

We may be on life support but not dead yet.

"Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...

...the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!"

bluto.gif

Nice post.  Looks a lot like mine ...

Let's look at who isn't going to NY, to get a better idea whether USF 3-7 will make it or not.

Cincinnati (1-8) and Rutgers (2-9) are clearly not going to be in the Top 12.

That means only two more teams will be left out.

Seton Hall (3-6) looks like it will be one of those staying home. They have games left at WVU, at L'ville, and against Pittsburgh.  They also play Cincy.  Their remaining three games are home against Villanova, at U Conn, and at home against USF.  [Predicted record: 4-12 or 5-11]

Connecticut (4-6) will probably earn a trip to NY, but it won't be that easy - with trips to Syracuse and Georgetown.  But they play Rutgers, and get Villanova, Louisville, and Seton Hall at home. [Predicted record: 7-9]

Villanova (4-5) is a team USF is fighting.  USF needs to have more Big East wins, but it doesn't look good to catch Nova.  They play Rutgers and Cincy at home, and travel to Seton Hall.  On the other hand, they get Syracuse and Georgetown at home and travel to Marqutte and U Conn. [Predicted record: 8-8 or 9-7]

Depaul (5-6) might be the only team USF can catch.  USF plays Depaul twice (home and home) down the road.  Depaul also play Marquette at home and in South Bend against Notre Dame.  The only catch is that they get Cincinnati at home. [Predicted record: 6-10]

St. Johns (5-6) is another possible, but tough to catch team.  First, they hold the head to head tie breaker.  Second, they play Rutgers at home, at Syracuse, a home-and-home with Providence, and at Louisville.  [Predicted record: 7-10]

Syracuse (5-5) will be almost impossible to reach.  USF would need to beat the Orangemen here, and hope for some help.  SU plays St. John's, U Conn, and G'town in the Dome, and travels to Providence and Villanova. [Predicted record: 9-7]

Notre Dame (6-5) is not impossible, but USF needs some help here, too.  Holding the head-to-head tiebreaker, USF could tie the Irish and get to NY.  However, the schedule doesn't look good. Providence, Depaul, and Marquette visit ND, while Cincy and Rutgers are the only remaining road games.  ND is bad on the road, but not that bad.  [Predicted record: 9-7]

Providence (5-4) may be the last team that is within USF's sights.  Games at Pittsburgh and at Notre Dame, a home and home with St. John's, two home games against Syracuse and West Virginia.  The key game could be the Friar's visit to USF.  [Predicted record: 8-8]

It looks like Depaul is the team to beat here.  If USF can beat them twice, that gives USF five wins.  Depaul should also lose to Marquette and Notre Dame, giving them ten losses.  Then USF needs to beat one of Syracuse or Providence at home or Seton Hal on the road to get to 6 wins.

That seems, to me, to be the only course to get to the #12 seed and Madison Square Garden.

What will it take to get to MSG ?

After looking at the teams and remaining games I see six wins as the magic number for getting to the Garden.

WHO IS ALREADY IN:  Pitt,Marq,Georgetown,West Virgina,Louisville & Notre Dame

WHO IS OUT:

Cinci- six games left and would have to win five of them - not going to happen

Rutgars-four games left and would need all of them U-Conn at home and on the  road against St. Johns & Seton Hall -  not going to happen

MOST LIKELY IN:

Syracuse- Needs only one win and with three home games and road games against USF & Providence it takes a meltdown for the Orangeman not to make it.

DePaul- Needing only one win the Blue Demons should be able to get one between Cinci at home & USF on the road.

UConn- Not the powerhouse of old but needing only two wins with five games left they should be able to get those with Seton hall & Villinova at home and Rutgars on the road

Villinova-With six games left and only needing two wins they should get those with home games against Cinci & Rutgars.

Providence-  Although they have a tough remaining schedule they only need one win in six games and with three at home they should be able to get that win.  If not they would have to win a game on the road against Pitt,ND or USF.

BUBBLE TEAMS:

St. Johns- Needing only one win with five games left they have Rutgars at home .  If they don't win that game this team could be in serious trouble with Providence,Syracuse and Louisville on the road.

Seton Hall- They will need to go 500% for the rest of the year with three road games and three home games.  They will need an upset to make it.

South Florida- Needing three wins and only five left on the schedule there is no room for error especially with Louisville on the road.  Tough but not impossible.

I guess I am not packing my bags for NY this year but I did get to Bowl games the last two years.

We both agree that 6-10 is the record USF needs to get to make it to the Tournament ... but you can't use the "six wins" mark for everyone... doesn't quite work that way.

However, Big East teams play sixteen conference games each year, not fifteen... so every team you list have one more game.

Oh, and 500% is not the same as .500... which is actually 50%.

And it's Rutgers not Rutgars...

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

I actually think we are going to make it....because I think we are going to win all of our games at home.

I think we are going to beat Syracuse -- and then we have Depaul and Providence.  

I still think 5 might get us there -- because we hold virtually all the ties with a win over Depaul and Syracuse..

Those last 3 games with Depaul and Providence will be huge.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

alot of bad teams in big east

if bulls dont make it this year they will never make it