• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Summers; Out in the Cold

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,103
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

• Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Ribault coach says he's incensed at Louisville's new coaching staff.

By CHASE GOODBREAD, The Times-Union

On a day when the list of future college football players is supposed to grow, the number of incoming freshmen from Jacksonville decreased by two.

Louisville commitment Chris Summers of Ribault and Florida commitment Justin Grant of Nease won't be signing today after their respective colleges failed to send the necessary paperwork for recruits on national signing day.

Ribault coach Arthur Mallory said he was stunned when a Cardinals assistant coach left a message on his answering machine indicating that Summers would not be sent scholarship papers.

Summers, a receiver, committed to Louisville under former coach Bobby Petrino's staff, but according to Mallory, the staff under new head coach Steve Kragthorpe contacted Summers regularly and never indicated his commitment was no longer wanted.

"The message said he didn't ever commit to the old staff, so they weren't going to honor it," Mallory said. "But I was in the room when he committed over the phone. I was there. [highlight]And I had the USF [south Florida] staff all mad at me because I encouraged him to do it[/highlight]. Basically, the new staff is trying to pass the buck to the old staff, and it's unprofessional as it can be."

Under NCAA regulations, college coaches are forbidden from commenting on recruits before signing day.

Summers is qualified academically. Mallory said Summers would have had other options had Louisville rescinded his offer sooner, but the timing has left Summers with no place to sign because other interested schools have filled their available spots.

"The next Ribault player Louisville wants, they won't be welcome, if I'm still here," Mallory said. "They either overbooked their class, or they strung the kid along because they knew the other schools he was looking at were on their schedule. But they won't ever admit that."

There is far less acrimony at Nease.

Grant's academic record is short of minimum requirements for freshman enrollment, and when asked if the defensive back's situation has strained Nease's relationship with UF, Nease coach Craig Howard said "definitely not."

Colleges commonly sign recruits who still need to improve in the classroom, and when a recruit qualifies unexpectedly, enrollment can be deferred to keep the college within NCAA rules for roster numbers.

Typically, recruits with little chance of qualifying are allowed to sign anyway, to avoid embarrassment.

However, Howard said Grant has not "taken care of some business," that UF asked of him.

"I can see where Florida is coming from," Howard said. "They've shown up to see him four times in the last two weeks, and he's not shown up a couple of times. Urban Meyer was just here Friday and missed him. Could they have still given him his day in the sun? Sure. But he's got to earn his day in the sun, too. He's a great kid. I just hope he takes advantage of the chance he has. He can still qualify."

The Times-Union's All-First Coast defensive player of the year after recording 10 interceptions, Grant's next option might be junior college or a preparatory school.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

wow...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

And this was posted prior to today:

One time Louisville wide receiver commitment Chris Summers is favoring Miami - if the Hurricanes offer. If Miami doesn’t offer, the Jacksonville (Fla.) Ribault prospect is considering recommitting to the Cardinals.

May be more to the story than UL dumping him.  

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Any chances for USF to pick him up?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  76

Any chances for USF to pick him up?

Maybe as a greyshirt in January but I think our schollies are looking pretty taken right now...

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

offer him the grey shirt if enough do not qualify then give him the scholie

build that bridge with the coach and any other coaches that will listen to him.