• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

@ Pitt - ThanxGivin' WeekEnd

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Warning!  There won't be a real college football atmosphere at the PITT game because it's being played off-campus at an NFL stadium.

Funny you should mention that. Several big time Pitt Alumni are paying for a feasibility study for a 50,000 seat OCS to be built in 2012-15.

I think you can have a college atmosphere in a professional stadium, it's tougher but you can. I just want a stadium USF can call it's own one day (it doesn't have to happen right now)

I had been to old Pitt Stadium, it wasn't much of a "collge atmosphere" either. There was a track running around the field that took you away from the action. Plus there were nly 25,000 or so fans at the game.

It's just tough having a college team in a city with a professional teamcasting a shadow.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,766
  • Days Won:  3

It's just tough having a college team in a city with a professional team casting a shadow.

Yep. Tons of truth in that statement.  8-)

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080
  • Days Won:  0

Warning!  There won't be a real college football atmosphere at the PITT game because it's being played off-campus at an NFL stadium.

Funny you should mention that. Several big time Pitt Alumni are paying for a feasibility study for a 50,000 seat OCS to be built in 2012-15.

I think you can have a college atmosphere in a professional stadium, it's tougher but you can. I just want a stadium USF can call it's own one day (it doesn't have to happen right now)

I had been to old Pitt Stadium, it wasn't much of a "collge atmosphere" either. There was a track running around the field that took you away from the action. Plus there were nly 25,000 or so fans at the game.

It's just tough having a college team in a city with a professional teamcasting a shadow.

My remark was pure sarcasm.

The stadium doesn't create the atmosphere...The game, the spirit squads the band, the fans, and traditions create that.

It's tough when a university and AD do an innefective job creating interest from the community.  In the case of USF, they were more focused on status climbing (getting to the big time) than in developing interest in the team.  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

How much of a problem was it for USC and UCLA?

It has never been a NFL town, thus the reason they don't have a team today. The Raiders and Rams averaged attendance numbers in the 40,000s going back to the 80s multiple times.

We can compare other NFL cities though. Miami, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Houston (even when they were great), Dallas (when SMU was great), San Diego, The Bay Area, CA, Minnesota, Boston, etc.

In most cases, where there is an NFL team and college team the college team is constantly in the shadow. Just as if you turn on ESPN, the college game is in the shadow of the NFL.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

Here we go, another OCS stadium hijacked thread.  

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

watching a game at rjs is fantastic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,657
  • Days Won:  29

Here we go, another OCS stadium hijacked thread.  

Crasy how that happens  :P

My tough sell is the wife and baby in Pitt at teh end of November, hope the weather ain't too bad . . . but still will have to try and get club seating somehow.

Go BULLS !!!  [smiley=GoBulls.gif]