• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2007/08  Bowl Tie-ins

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

The Navy has a 2 year deal with the Poinsetta Bowl. Army is in talks with the MCCB for a 2 year deal, least they were a few months ago.

I think you're a little mixed up, the Navy has a deal with the MCCB and Army has a deal with the Poinsettia, thats why Navy played BC in the MCCB this year.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Navy has a 2 year deal with the Poinsetta Bowl. Army is in talks with the MCCB for a 2 year deal, least they were a few months ago.

I think you're a little mixed up, the Navy has a deal with the MCCB and Army has a deal with the Poinsettia, thats why Navy played BC in the MCCB this year.

Navy has a deal with the Poinsettia for the next two years.  Army had a one-year deal for this past season, if they made it to 6 wins.

The MCCB is talking to Army about being a possible option.  Navy had a one-year deal with the MCCB, and since they were eligible, they were selected.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I haven't heard much on the army deal in awhile, so I am not sure if it will happen between the MCCB and Army.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

OK, got it.  So, in essence the Charlotte bowl might have the second place Big East team if ND goes to Jax.  I could see ND having four losses easy this year.  They get Michigan, Penn State, and UCLA all on the road.  Also they get BC, GT, Michigan St, and USC at home.  We'll know early about the Irish, as their schedule once again is front loaded.  

Brett or Greg may need to check this... but I think the 2-win clause applies to Notre Dame as well.

So, let's say WVU goes 12-0, USF goes 10-2 and Notre Dame goes 8-4.

The Gator Bowl would have to select USF before selecting Notre Dame -- unless they select the Big 12 option, at which time the Sun Bowl must select USF before Notre Dame.

The rule states that a bowl can not select Team A if Team B has 2+ more overall wins and is still available to be selected.  It's the reason USF could not go to the Texas Bowl this year, Rutgers had 10 wins and USF had 8.

No I think the 2 win clause only deals with IN conference play.  The bowl allignment is base on the conference record, not overall record.  OOC play has nothing to do with it, I think.  So, in that case a 5-2 team can not be selected over a 7-0 team, but could be selected over a 6-1 team.

OK, got it.  So, in essence the Charlotte bowl might have the second place Big East team if ND goes to Jax.  I could see ND having four losses easy this year.  They get Michigan, Penn State, and UCLA all on the road.  Also they get BC, GT, Michigan St, and USC at home.  We'll know early about the Irish, as their schedule once again is front loaded.  

Brett or Greg may need to check this... but I think the 2-win clause applies to Notre Dame as well.

So, let's say WVU goes 12-0, USF goes 10-2 and Notre Dame goes 8-4.

The Gator Bowl would have to select USF before selecting Notre Dame -- unless they select the Big 12 option, at which time the Sun Bowl must select USF before Notre Dame.

The rule states that a bowl can not select Team A if Team B has 2+ more overall wins and is still available to be selected.  It's the reason USF could not go to the Texas Bowl this year, Rutgers had 10 wins and USF had 8.

No I think the 2 win clause only deals with IN conference play.  The bowl allignment is base on the conference record, not overall record.  OOC play has nothing to do with it, I think.  So, in that case a 5-2 team can not be selected over a 7-0 team, but could be selected over a 6-1 team.

Looks like you may be right... this is what Brett wrote...

Q: OK great, so who’s going where?

A: If Louisville defeats UConn and West Virginia defeats Rutgers, Louisville (6-1 Big East) earns the automatic BCS berth. The Sun/Gator then selects either Rutgers (5-2) and West Virginia (5-2). Whoever isn’t selected would be selected by Texas. USF (4-3) would then go to Papajohns.com and Cincinnati (4-3) to International. If Rutgers and Louisville win, Rutgers (6-1) gets BCS berth, then Sun/Gator has to select Louisville (6-1) because it has two more league wins than the remaining eligible teams - West Virginia 4-3, USF 4-3, Cincinnati 4-3. Texas would select nationally-ranked WVU over USF and Cincinnati, leaving USF to Papajohns.com and Cincinnati to International.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

We were tied at 4-3 with Cincy but they beat us, so why didn't  they go to Papa Johns and USF  go to the Int'l?

Because for the 4th and 5th place BE bowls, the BE helps place the teams, the bowls don't simply select a team.  The BE places a team that is nearest to it and will draw well.  The 4th and 5th place bowls are actually equal.  Who beat who has nothing to do with it.  Lets say we were tied with WVU for 2nd place and they beat us.  The Gator still could have chosen us over them, or them over us, whoever they wanted to choose.  After the BCS, the Gator/Sun has the 2nd "choice", not 2nd place, Houston/Charlotte have the 3rd choice.  Then the BE works with BHam, Toronto to place the other teams.  

We were tied at 4-3 with Cincy but they beat us, so why didn't  they go to Papa Johns and USF  go to the Int'l?

Because for the 4th and 5th place BE bowls, the BE helps place the teams, the bowls don't simply select a team.  The BE places a team that is nearest to it and will draw well.  The 4th and 5th place bowls are actually equal.  Who beat who has nothing to do with it.  Lets say we were tied with WVU for 2nd [n]place and they beat us.  The Gator still could have chosen us over them, or them over us, whoever they wanted to choose.  After the BCS, the Gator/Sun has the 2nd "choice", not 2nd place, Houston/Charlotte have the 3rd choice.  Then the BE works with BHam, Toronto to place the other teams.  

B'ham and Tornonto get the 5th/6th "choice" not "place" (as you noted by the Gator/Sun.  Charlotte has the 3rd choice. Texas has the 4th choice when it selects a Big East team.

The Big East works with every bowl on selecting a team.  It is theoretically possible that the Big East could get USF into the Gator Bowl by helping to guarantee ticket sales... not that they would, but they could.

Finally, the International Bowl has said they want schools within driving distance -- and this was especially true this year for their first game.  I do not expect USF to ever play in Toronto other than, maybe, years immediately after we go to Birmingham AND we end up with a 7-5 or 6-6 record.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677
  • Days Won:  0

So, if ND goes to the Gator, the Sun will have the 2nd place Big East team?  If that is the case Charlotte could be a real possibility again.

No, if ND goes to the Gator we lose that bowl. If the Big 12 option is taken by the Gator, the Sun is the replacement. I think the Sun can take ND in that spot too, but I'm not 100% on that.

In large part the whole Sun/Gator deal was set up on the Idea of having a shot at ND.  If Nd is available no doubt the Gator jumps on them.. if that happened BE is out of the mix.. and the Gator bowl will have used both of its BE ties.. will have to take big 12 the last 2 years... in those 2 years if Nd was available the Sun can take them.. over the BE #2.. thus in a worse case situation(not a likely one) the BE could only have 1 more trip to one of these bowls in the next 3 years.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

repaired