• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

HOT and Flip Folders... by Bobcat99

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

Quote from USF03 on Yesterday at 9:58am:

Quote from Bobcat99 on Jan 12th, 2007, 10:50pm:

How much do I have to donate for them to get rid of flip folders?

Well, thats either an ignorent or a hateful question. That does not take money, that takes a lot of extra work on the members part. Most bands will ALWAYS have flip folders, including the top military bands in the country.

Wrong.

People actually research these things, believe it or not, and only 35% of college bands use flip folders. Most of them are at the Division II or below level. (Visit http://www.ucband.uc.edu/kappakappapsi/compendium/ for all sorts of fascinating information about college bands.)

I am not aware of more than a handful of Division I marching band that uses flip folders. I'm sure there are some, but they're likely schools like Troy or something. Rutgers and WVU use flip folders when not inside the stadium-- but do we really want to emulate those guys? No one I've seen in the MAC uses them, though Ball State's band might want to consider it -- they could use the help. Rice uses them, but that's because the M.O.B. is a scatter band open to the public that's far more about onfield antics than being good musicians.

I watched nearly every bowl game, watching the band to see if I could verify my suspicions, and while not every school's band got enough face time for me to be 100% positive, I sure know I never saw any flip folders for any other team.

I love this university, I love our band, but we gotta get rid of the flip folders. Do a few google searches. Other message boards openly mock us. I never played in a band in my life, I just happened to attend a few schools with top-level marching bands, and I'm proud of them, and I'd like to be proud of USF's too.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, for starters:  that link to the CCMB is pretty much where USF copied their funding sources for the band, and we ALL know how well that has done...

Funding Source

--University Budget...................................34

--Music Department..................................26

--Athletic Department...............................16

--Student Organizations/Activities............15

--Alumni Organizations.............................2

--Band Fundraising...................................2

--Student Service Organizations..............1

--Corporate Sponsorship.........................0

--Other.....................................................5      

And do you know what bands are included in that 39% of bands that use flips?  Maybe a Band like Ohio State ("the best d@mn band in the land")!  

Either way... if you have a problem with the way the band works... in any way... e-mail our director at mrobinson@arts.usf.edu.  He is always open to suggestions, and gives out his e-mail for that purpose.

Although I am not a huge fan of flip folders, HOT is also made up of a large precentage of non-music majors.  We also practice fewer hours than most bands right now.  We are trying to GROW the band at the moment, getting funding, building members, building alumni, building traditions, etc.  The program does strive for excellance, but a perfect band will come in time.

Once the band gets out of it's first decade... maybe then it will be able to attempt longer practices and more practice days...... just so we don't have to use flips on the field

[highlight]Note:  For non-band dorks.... flip folders are the little black folders with 10 to 30 pages of music in them that a band member has.  A folder of music that flips... a flip folder.

[/highlight]

BTW: East Carolina has 100% flips on the field... man... they were SO much better than HOT   ;)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

:GoBulls :GoBulls :GoBulls :GoBulls :GoBulls :GoBulls :GoBulls

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  473

Sorry, Billy, I have to agree with Bobcat... I was in marching band in HS, and we could use music folders during practice, but NEVER during performances.  If HS students (many of whom will never play an instrument again after HS graduation) can memorize their show music, I would hope that college students who care enough to join a marching band in college would be able to pull it off. I cringe every time I see the H.O.T. (an otherwise AWESOME band) using them.  :'(  :GoBulls

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

In HS, my band was allowed flip folders during practices and in the stands during games, but never on the field.  I personally don't have a problem with using them in-stands, but on the field looks better without.

When I was in HOT for the 2003 season, flip folders were used in stands and not on the field.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

And do you know what bands are included in that 39% of bands that use flips?  Maybe a Band like Ohio State ("the best d@mn band in the land")!  

The OSU band is horrible. Did anyone see them perform at the BCS Championship? They're embarassing. Not only are they not the best band in the land, they're not even the best band in the state of Ohio.

That having been said, you'll never see them on the field with flips. EVER. Their crappy pep band has been sighted with flips at hockey games on occasion.

The Ohio Marching 110, on the other hand, is a non-music band in all performances and locations. That's been the policy in Athens since the 70's at the very least, back when they were the "110 Marching Men of Ohio." Even alumni aren't allowed to use music on band day -- you're expected to know your music and tech when you show up on campus.

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

We schooled Ohio's band when they visited in 2002, but they really are a fun band to watch.  What annoyed me is that they did THE SAME routine in 2002 as they did in 2003 when we visited them.

ANY school that uses flip folder is an embarrassment.  When I was still a student over here, the band never used folders on the field, but this year, a couple did and it made me sad. :-[

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Wow, marching band flip folder smack.  Amazing...

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1,066

You also have to realize that, unlike some schools, we play three distinct field shows each marching season.  UCF has rotating field shows, so by your Sophomore/Junior year,  most if not all the shows should be memorized very easily.

Just food for thought...

You also have to realize that, unlike some schools, we play three distinct field shows each marching season.  UCF has rotating field shows, so by your Sophomore/Junior year,  most if not all the shows should be memorized very easily.

Just food for thought...

Very valid point.

BTW Bobcat... after your OSU comment, I know everything you say is BS.  I was in the band in '03... I did like the field show better without the flips... BUT like I said above... the band has other priorities right now.  Building the program and building tradition.  

Either e-mail the director or get over it.