• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DORM COSTS MAY RISE AT USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  869
  • Days Won:  0

what about students who not of traditional age-- something USF is well known for attracting-- how do you force a thirty something plus year old to live with the youngins'?

These were the people that lived in the basement at BETA.  Working on their third BS/BA degrees.  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  958

I lived on campus last year and loved it...Now i live in an off campus apartment and its o.k. but im moving back to USF dorms next year...its much better even though it is expensive

what about students who not of traditional age-- something USF is well known for attracting-- how do you force a thirty something plus year old to live with the youngins'?

Well... in the model I described - the older students would live at home... how many 30+ students come from some other part of the state or country??  My guess is probably zero.

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

No way the freshmen can all live in the dorms.  They would HAVE to kick out the rest of the students living there.  Not only that, but after those freshmen move up, they'll get kicked out... I think the idea is stupid.  Dorms are expensive, yet they're full.  Adding a new dorm would be a good idea though, plenty of people were turned away this year.

Besides, a lot of students live at home because their parents don't want them away from home just yet...if USF forcing freshmen to live on campus was done, then all those students would just go to FSU and UF.

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  545

They could build an OCS with luxury dorm suites around the perimeter of the upper deck.

That would be cool!!

Sign me up for one right now!  I don't care what it costs

No way the freshmen can all live in the dorms.  They would HAVE to kick out the rest of the students living there.  Not only that, but after those freshmen move up, they'll get kicked out... I think the idea is stupid.  Dorms are expensive, yet they're full.  Adding a new dorm would be a good idea though, plenty of people were turned away this year.

Besides, a lot of students live at home because their parents don't want them away from home just yet...if USF forcing freshmen to live on campus was done, then all those students would just go to FSU and UF.

I think you missed a little of the point.  The discussion I heard about was that freshmen (first-time-in-college freshmen) had the option to either live at home or live on campus.  It's hard to commute from Palm Beach, but a Zephyrhills student could live at home and commute in for classes.

Oh, and bear in mind that USF brings in far far more transfer students, usually juniors, than incoming first-time-in-college freshmen.

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

There's some on here saying on here to make it a requirement that freshmen should live on campus.  I was replying to that.

I know USF has a high transfer rate, if I remember correctly, it's the school that gets the most transfer in the US.

There's some on here saying on here to make it a requirement that freshmen should live on campus.  I was replying to that.

I know USF has a high transfer rate, if I remember correctly, it's the school that gets the most transfer in the US.

Well, you are right that requiring all freshmen to live on campus would not be manageable... that is why I think they were talking about something a little less than that.

And yes, USF gets more transfer students than any other college in the US.  Part of that is because Florida is one of the few (if the only) states that says if you graduate from a community college, you are guaranteed admission to a state university (2 + 2 program).

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19

My daughter is a freshman living in Beta Hall.  She loves living at Beta and living on campus in general.  Well worth the cost.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

My daughter is a freshman living in Beta Hall.  She's loves living at Beta and living on campus in general.  Well worth the cost.

See... direct evidence.

I'm all for raising fees, etc. as long as students have bright futures.

Keep improving the housing, USF.