• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Blackwell takes over top spot

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/01/04/Sports/Freedom_hires_former_.shtml

TAMPA - After one season of coaching at Freedom High - first as a quarterbacks coach, then as the offensive coordinator - former South Florida star quarterback Marquel Blackwell has been named Patriots head football coach.

"We had a strong list of candidates but Marquel was the most impressive to us," Freedom principal Richard Bartels said on Wednesday. "His relatively young age (26) doesn't hinder him in any way. We feel great about the decision. ...We saw how he was with the kids and how much enthusiasm and insight he brought to the table and he's certainly proven he knows how to win."

Blackwell, who could not be reached for comment, threw for 9,108 yards and 57 touchdowns for USF between 1999 and 2002. He had preseason playing stints with the New York Jets and Tampa Bay Bucs before coming to Freedom.

In 1995 at Dixie Hollins High he made a name for himself, throwing for 1,670 yards and 23 touchdowns and leading the Rebels to the Class 5A title game.

Blackwell, who didn't have any prior coaching experience before this season, beat out Freedom assistant coach Leon Brockmeier, who served as the Patriots interim head coach after Adam Stegeman was fired after last season's third game. Stegeman's firing came after what several witnesses said was a profanity-laced altercation following a 21-14 road triumph over Wesley Chapel.

After the season, in which the Patriots finished 6-5 and made the playoffs for the first time in the school's five-year history, many believed Brockmeier, a former Northwestern left tackle, would become the Patriots next head coach.

"I told (Brockmeier) we appreciated him and he was more than welcome to continue serving as our track coach and a physical education teacher," Bartels said. "I said if he wanted to continue as a football assistant coach he would have to check in with the new football coach."

Brockmeier could not be reached for comment.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Congrats MB !

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

nice to see Bulls do well. Maybe one day he will coach with the Bulls

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

It's exciting to see our former players in the high school coaching ranks not only as an indication of success, but as a way of building a recruiting pipeline to those schools.

Congrats to MB!

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

just one more step closer to becoming a part of our coaching staff