• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BCS makes a mess

Seems like a given to me.

Eliminate the Conf. Championship games.

Take the top 16 in the polls (or combination of polls, either way #17 dowsn't have the right to complain.)

Use the bowls, 15 of them for the playoffs, the remaining 11 0r 12 for other teams as a reward, means nothing, but a get-a-way)

Play over the month of Dec.    8 games, 4 games, 2 games, Champ. game

Only 4 teams play 2 extra game and 2 of those play 1 extra game.

Only problem, travel plans for fans, but this could be set up earlier and made available as game matchups are determined.  Maybe you stretch the games out to every other week and allow for 2 weks of travel plans.

Shoot, I would even attend the Outback bowl with #6 playing #11 (unless the Bulls were playing elsewhere)

Share the money between the Conf.s that have teams in the 16.

Wait ..... this makes sense, it CAN'T be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. The bowl games would not be able to be used.  The travel costs for teams would be enormous going to four different cities.  The best system would be to use the NFL model - higher ranked teams get home field advantage, except for the last game.  There might need to be a guaranteed minimum number of tickets for opposing fans to make it more palatable.

2. The new system would have to have a substantially higher payout to the teams than the current system.  Not sure that any network/sponsors would pony up $200 million per year or more.

3. There are existing contracts that have to be fulfilled - including the Rose Bowl's contract with the PAC 10 and Big 10 through something like 2012 (at least).

If the system starts before the bowls, then the playoffs could be for bowl slots... winner goes on, loser goes to X bowl.  That keeps the bowl people happy, but the bowl payoffs would be significantly less ... maybe just enough to cover travel costs.  Bowl games would still be the consolation prizes.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,291
  • Days Won:  0

Seems like a given to me.

Eliminate the Conf. Championship games.

Take the top 16 in the polls (or combination of polls, either way #17 dowsn't have the right to complain.)

Use the bowls, 15 of them for the playoffs, the remaining 11 0r 12 for other teams as a reward, means nothing, but a get-a-way)

Play over the month of Dec.    8 games, 4 games, 2 games, Champ. game

Only 4 teams play 2 extra game and 2 of those play 1 extra game.

Only problem, travel plans for fans, but this could be set up earlier and made available as game matchups are determined.  Maybe you stretch the games out to every other week and allow for 2 weks of travel plans.

Shoot, I would even attend the Outback bowl with #6 playing #11 (unless the Bulls were playing elsewhere)

Share the money between the Conf.s that have teams in the 16.

Wait ..... this makes sense, it CAN'T be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We may have 120 teams.

Reduce the # of conferences to 8. (some conferences have 15 or 16 teams)

Reduce season games to 10.

Each conference have 2 divisions (7 or 8 per division)

Of course, Division champs will play in their conference championship.

8 teams in playoff bracket. (seeds should be created by votes)

2 teams in NC game will have 14 games total in a season which is one game more than the current system.

Each same place in both division can play against each others for their 11th game.

All 4th place or better deserve the bowl game. (6 teams per conf not include champ) x 8 conf = 32 bowl games.

or use vote poll.

Ah, it is not easy with many teams and few games not like basketball or baseball.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,846
  • Days Won:  22

The Bowl games, specially Rose Bowl will use their power over Big 10 and pac 10 to block any playoffs that wont include them so as a first step you need to include them, ND and the BCS conferences so:

You have eight teams qualify for the playoffs,

The SIX BCS conference champions- keeps them happy

The highest ranked nonBCS champion- includes everyoneelse

Allows Notre Dame in there if they are a top12- appeases the Irish

If ND doesnt qualify the highest ranked non cjampion gets the slot.

The quarter finals are Rose,Fiesta,Sugar and Orange

The semis are winners of Fiesta-Rose in Fiesta and winner of Sugar-Orange in Orange. Next year they alternate

Finals are in Rose Bowl

This way THREE Bowls have double hosting only one has only one game and you guarantee that Bowl the championship the next year.

Bowls make double money, Everyone has a shot and you still have a playoff

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959

16 Team Playoff

• Content Count:  1,757

The BCS is a sham... with the way the Bowl games are falling into place, it looks like the Big East is the strongest of the BCS conferences this year, yet no one gave Louisville a spot in the NC game?!?! WTF?  The SEC sure doesn't look like the "powerhouse" conference the media makes them out to be.  I guarantee UF would have had 2 losses in the BE this year, hell if they didn't have the refs in their back pocket for the South Carolina game they would have had 2 this year.  

What about Boise State?  13-0 and no way will they get the championship?  Again WTF?  They either play division 1 football or they don't.  The BCS is crap, plain and simple.  With most bowl teams playing 13 games as it is, there are NO logical arguements against a playoff.  

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,846
  • Days Won:  22

The Big Bowl games will BLOCK any playoof talk  that wont include them. The Rose Bowl has the Big10 and Pac 10 in their pockets they will vote down any playoofs that will affect the Rose Bowl

• Content Count:  1,291

The BCS is a sham... with the way the Bowl games are falling into place, it looks like the Big East is the strongest of the BCS conferences this year, yet no one gave Louisville a spot in the NC game?!?! WTF?  The SEC sure doesn't look like the "powerhouse" conference the media makes them out to be.  I guarantee UF would have had 2 losses in the BE this year, hell if they didn't have the refs in their back pocket for the South Carolina game they would have had 2 this year.  

What about Boise State?  13-0 and no way will they get the championship?  Again WTF?  They either play division 1 football or they don't.  The BCS is crap, plain and simple.  With most bowl teams playing 13 games as it is, there are NO logical arguements against a playoff.  

UF's SEC has 12 teams and we have 8 teams in BE. If you were coach for Syracuse, you would vote for Louisville higher than UF.  Every year, I complain that UF always higher than all teams with same number of losses.  If we have 12 teams in BE, UL has a chance!  UL almost beat Rutgers.  UF almost lost to SC and other game.  I told them SEC is overrated.  SC almost lost to Houston, Ky took advantages from Clemons,  Nebraska shot themselves against Auburn, GA came back to beat Va.Tech by turnovers.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

bcs did their job

they put best two teams together

1a schools dont want play off

You have no idea who the best two teams are.  Neither do I.  There is only one way to know.

And that is by what a playoff?  So many fans have heard people calling for a playoff over the past ten years that they don't even have a real clue what they are asking for.

First, let me preface this by saying the bowl system isn't going anywhere.  I know this for nearly a fact and it's well etched in stone.

On the playoff, the first question is how would you propose a playoff system being played?  For example lets say it's the first 16 -32 teams in the poll.  Well the first issue will come down to those last few slots and many of us remember when we were in the 1-AA ranks and how much politicking went into making the 1-AA playoffs, USF got passed over on two occasions for lesser ranked teams but who were in bigger 1-AA conferences, hello SEC, do you think the 'little guys' are going to get their due respect with a playoff, HA don't make me laugh the ignorance of this all is the playoff system would only personify the issue and separation between "No BCS and BCS."  A playoff system should only be argued based on the desire to see a playoff, not for a desire to see 'who the best team is' or 'for greater access for non-BCS conferences' because with a playoff "NEITHER" would be achieved.

Remember the point about a playoff system is for it to work appropriately the NCAA would need to take it over---oppps bye-bye $17M pay-outs, the first no-no and trust me this concerns the non-BCS conferences too because they get paid even if their schools aren't in the BCS a certain conference stipent, with the NCAA involved that stipent drops dramatically and the dollars get spread even more equitably, That means the $900k C-DOA gets from the BCS now would probably drop drastically lower, and if by chance they got a team into the playoff the pay-out would be much worse then probably what they get for playing in the Liberty Bowl.  

Next, remember this ****-eyed ignorant perspective from people suggesting that the bowls can be used as playoff venues----NO, not, never happening.  First bowls are built around corporate sponsorship, and community tourism interest.  They sign contracts with bowl conferences to insure their member schools will be at that particular city for a certain number of days, buy a certain number of tickets, attend a certain number of functions, stay at certain hotels.    If you're in a playoff teams must face the predicament of playing in 4-5 consecutive weeks.  They cannot be forced to do anything more than fly-in a day before the game (as is normally expected throughout the season), they can't be expected to be forced to purchase a certain number of tickets or attend functions....bye-bye corporate sponsors, at least the local ones that keep those bowls bread buttered.  So the alternative is just like the NCAA 1-AA system home and away teams played at one of the attending schools campuses.  S0, it's real fair if BSU had to run to say Norman, OK to play a first round game.  How many BSU fans would have made that trek?   How many tickets could they have gotten?  

The only equitable, and sensible solution would be for the BCS to add another game for a championship/championship.  Move the current championship game back a week, then have the winners of say the Rose play the winner of the Orange to decide the champ.  You can rotate the BCS bowls in order of significance.

As far as finding the best team top to bottom that had the most prestine season in college football a playoff will probably never be guaranteed to show that.  The best thing, and most unique thing about college football is that every game matters.  It's what boosts attendance for games where their teams are playing a 1-AA opponent, or meaningless OOC game.  In college football a loss matters, every game is a must win.  With a playoff system the big conferences can have teams coast knowing they'll get in, hey if you're OSU why play Troy Smith against UM if you're already in the playoffs?  No, college football is pure, keep it that way.  The NC is rewarded for having the best, and most pure complete season.  BSU will finish the season in the top 5, and that's where they should finish it.  Their full season body of work wasn't nearly as impressives as UF or OSU....no way.  They beat OK, barely, but OSU has beaten five top 25 teams, UF the same.  No way BSU should leapfrog either because college football rewards for a body of work, not a game.

The two best teams in the nation from beginning to end are playing on January 8th, to suggest otherwise is a stupid, ignorant semantical argument.  It's foolish to compare any other school and suggest their body of work for the entire season was better than OSU's and UF's.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549

First, let me preface this by saying the bowl system isn't going anywhere.  I know this for nearly a fact and it's well etched in stone.

I love that argument.  The best way to stop a playoff from happening is to get people to stop asking for it.  LOL  Well, I know for a fact that people are not going to stop screaming for a playoff.  No matter how many money-hungry power brokers try to shut up the masses and tell them that their opinions don't matter.

The two best teams in the nation from beginning to end are playing on January 8th, to suggest otherwise is a stupid, ignorant semantical argument.  It's foolish to compare any other school and suggest their body of work for the entire season was better than OSU's and UF's.

...unless you have a different opinion.  For example, I bet Auburn fans don't think Florida is one of the best two teams in the country.  Ole Miss played Auburn tougher than UF did.

Sorry, but there can be nothing more subjective than the choosing of the top two teams, even if only the most brilliant minds in America are the ones choosing.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

I love that argument.  The best way to stop a playoff from happening is to get people to stop asking for it.  LOL  Well, I know for a fact that people are not going to stop screaming for a playoff.  No matter how many money-hungry power brokers try to shut up the masses and tell them that their opinions don't matter.

...unless you have a different opinion.  For example, I bet Auburn fans don't think Florida is one of the best two teams in the country.  Ole Miss played Auburn tougher than UF did.

Sorry, but there can be nothing more subjective than the choosing of the top two teams, even if only the most brilliant minds in America are the ones choosing.

Then what are you suggesting that a playoff system, which is never going to happen, will be far more just and equitable?  So, teams getting to play USC at USC for a first round game is far more equitable and fair?  The system would be turned into a mini-NFL, and that's partially what colleges don't want, they also do not want to destroy the bowl system which has made the 1-A ranks so great.

No, choosing a national champion is a semantical argument, and very subjective.  BUT IT'S A FRICKIN GAME....for all of you that take it to seriously you need a grip on life.  The way the system is set-up they won't gain anymore dollars by being selected #1 or #2, they won't lose any dollars.  The point is this is about a body of work for an entire season and most would agree the two teams playing have the best body of work.

OH, and if Auburn fans are foolish enough (and I've got a few clients that are Auburn fans who take pride in hopefully having beaten then #1 team in the nation), then they should look in the collective mirrors and realizing losing to UGA, AND ARK (who got beat by UW) is not a quality body of work.

AGAIN, the ignorance in the argument is that the National Champion, and game is ABOUT ONE GAME- it's about a season and who had the best season.  Certainly for an instance Auburn can say they beat #2 UF, but they can't say they beat ARK, UF can, they can't say they beat UGA, UF can, they can say they beat LSU, barely, UF beat them worse.   Oh and if they want to argue they could at least step up and have played at least a half-way decent OOC schedule- WSU, Buffalo, Tulane, and Ark. State even made UF's OOC schedule look impressive.

Nope, nothing Auburn can say other than the fact they played really good against the #2 team in the nation.  Collectively their season wasn't nearly as impressive as UF's and that's what being a National Champion is all about.