• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BCS makes a mess

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549
  • Days Won:  0

The BCS is the exact same sham that we had before.  The "winners" are selected via popularity.  That's the way it's always been.

The only difference is that now, more money is being funneled to the bigger schools in a bid to widen the gap between the haves and the have-nots.  

Just like the American economy. ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I too think the BCS got it right this year, and it is definitly better than the system we had 15 years ago. Under that system USF is sucking wind trying to play with the big boys. The BCS has made us relevant in college football.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431

I too think the BCS got it right this year, and it is definitly better than the system we had 15 years ago. Under that system USF is sucking wind trying to play with the big boys. The BCS has made us relevant in college football.

I don't dispute that the BCS has improved things from practically a voted-in national champion to more of a proven champion, but I would argue a playoff would be the final step toward a truly proven national champion.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

The way I heard it best phrased........

"If you think division 1-a college football is doing things right, then you think all other sports (which use a playoff system) have it wrong!"

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

The way I heard it best phrased........

"If you think division 1-a college football is doing things right, then you think all other sports (which use a playoff system) have it wrong!"

exactly.  I will not dispute that the BCS is better than the previous system, but all the BCS did was ensure that the 2 top ranked teams will play for the title.  adding in computer polls added something but usually it's still the same or very similar to the human polls anyway.

the BCS does not work when ther are 3 or more undefeated teams, it does not work when no one is undefeated, and it does not work when only 1 team is undefeated (to me).  

wisconsin only lost 1 game, UL only lost 1 game, and michigan only lost 1 game.  boise state is still UNDEFEATED.  sure, if you have to pick, UF is a logical choice, even if michigan is probably a better team.  but how exciting would a 8 team playoff be?!  boise state, not in a BCS conference, would be able to PLAY FOR THE TITLE.  i think that is fair.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

Seems like a given to me.

Eliminate the Conf. Championship games.

Take the top 16 in the polls (or combination of polls, either way #17 dowsn't have the right to complain.)

Use the bowls, 15 of them for the playoffs, the remaining 11 0r 12 for other teams as a reward, means nothing, but a get-a-way)

Play over the month of Dec.    8 games, 4 games, 2 games, Champ. game

Only 4 teams play 2 extra game and 2 of those play 1 extra game.

Only problem, travel plans for fans, but this could be set up earlier and made available as game matchups are determined.  Maybe you stretch the games out to every other week and allow for 2 weks of travel plans.

Shoot, I would even attend the Outback bowl with #6 playing #11 (unless the Bulls were playing elsewhere)

Share the money between the Conf.s that have teams in the 16.

Wait ..... this makes sense, it CAN'T be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

bcs did their job

they put best two teams together

1a schools dont want play off

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

How about we just use the LAST BCS Poll as the preseason poll. It may be very inaccurate, but it would give Boise State and other schools a better chance if they can go undefeated.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

How about we just use the LAST BCS Poll as the preseason poll. It may be very inaccurate, but it would give Boise State and other schools a better chance if they can go undefeated.

no

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549

bcs did their job

they put best two teams together

1a schools dont want play off

You have no idea who the best two teams are.  Neither do I.  There is only one way to know.