• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why continue to run our franchise QB?  Crazy!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

I think Rod have designed the plays similiar with Texas and WVa because C.hill was supposed to take over QB position.  I don't think we had enough time to change lot of playbooks after C.Hill was dismissed.  Don't you agree?  I expect Rod will change or add some more plays this off season for Grothe and others.  

I aint worried because I know USF offense will be much better in 2007!  Go Bulls!

the o will have to be better if usf will make the next step to national prominence!

BTW rod smiths playcalling has been better.

the book is still out if he can and will lead usf to consistantly good football or is this all grothe?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

Trust me when I tell you I understand the game of football.  A 170 lb freshman QB running between the tackles in the not the ticket long term.  I don't care who the QB is.  This team will regret the day they continue to run this kid.  

Only time will tell.  

If and when he gets really hurt don't post on the board your displeasure.  Sounds like most of you like him running.  So be it!

Go Bulls!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Who is the 170 lbs QB ?

Grothe weighs 200 ...

If GrothE didn't run AND lead the team in rushing, we would have been enjoying (maybe not enjoying) after the WVU game and may not have been .500

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

I asked before and I guess I'll ask again, why?  I get when he is flushed from the pocket.  However, I attended the game in B'ham and several runs were called for him including the leg breaking play.  Color me old school, but QB's pass and RB's run!  

This staff is going to get this kid hurt for good with crazy, nonsense play calling like runs between the tackles for Grothe or any QB!

Stop the madness, Go Bulls!

Jeez it's the type of offense we run.  Grothe wasn't expected to be the starter this year, and he will add more muscle and size by next year to handle the rigors of running.  A running QB has been the basis of USF offense for seven years- SURPRISE.

The offense with the QB as a focal part of the running game has been run for 1 year - not 7.  PJ ran some option and a little from the shotgun for 3 years.  The previous year with Andre Hall, PJ spent a lot of time under center.  Blackwell was not a running QB - they ran a spread and a heavy emphasis on the passing game.  It was only last year that they put in the Texas/Missouri stuff.

Why subject Grothe to more hits than necessary?  Let the RB's take the responsibility for the rushing game.  We have moved the ball on the ground before with McMillan and Hall.  The reason Grothe ran so much this year was because Williams, a walk on, was our best back.  Recruit a RB, and let Grothe throw.

Hmm, you missed the Texas State game then in 1999 when Blackwell ran for his life.  A mobile running QB has been a focal point of our offense for 7 years, even in the spread we implemented many bootlegs and designed runs for MB.  Obviously the last three years have had a running QB, now all we did with Texas and Missouri was try to "REFINE" those adjustments, but remember the year before that when PJ was going to be the starter the staff studied at UF under "Urban Meyers" which, coincidentally, implements a running QB!

Grothe does throw, but his game is more fluid when he's moving- that's why they call them 'athletic' quarterbacks- Carlton Hill, Grothe, Julmiste, Voss....please remind me the last time we signed, heck for that matter recruited a pure drop back passer- Schaeffer, Ingram, Denson.....

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Trust me when I tell you I understand the game of football.  A 170 lb freshman QB running between the tackles in the not the ticket long term.  I don't care who the QB is.  This team will regret the day they continue to run this kid.  

Only time will tell.  

If and when he gets really hurt don't post on the board your displeasure.  Sounds like most of you like him running.  So be it!

Go Bulls!

"IF" or "WHEN"  are you in a vaccum he's been hurt multiple times this season.  He's bigger than 170lbs, and running between tackles is not something Grothe does every game.  He does it 4-5 times and you guys would swear he did it 100.  After the RB position got going Grothe's carries diminished to under 15 a game...the kid can run, our offense is designed for the run, so why not allow him to run...how about just ask a young 19 year old to add some muscle and weight to absorb some of the running punishment.

Some guys would have had no problem with Carlton Hill running, or PJ running but Grothe runs, and gets hurt and then it's 'why are we running the QB'.  Uh, because it's by design, and a highly effective part of our offense.  Just what I want is a QB like Grothe in the pocket getting tied off on.

The kid has been been a mobile QB since his younger days, don't corral him because of some armchair issues.  A little did you know, the rumor is Matt was hurt because an ECU player intentionally stomped on his leg in that pile-up.  It wasn't his running that hurt him it was an intentional issue.  

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

Who is the 170 lbs QB ?

Grothe weighs 200 ...

If GrothE didn't run AND lead the team in rushing, we would have been enjoying (maybe not enjoying) after the WVU game and may not have been .500

Id say Grothe is 185 tops.

Who is the 170 lbs QB ?

Grothe weighs 200 ...

Id say Grothe is 185 tops.

Would you be willing to bet a $1,000 donation to USF Athletics ?  8-)

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

Lots of folks that have never played the game.  

Keep running him and he will not finish the season(s) just like this year.  For the record, I was at 9 of 13 games this year and Grothe is far short of 200 lbs.

Enjoy the off season and Go Bulls!

... and Grothe is far short of 200 lbs.

Define "far short" ...

Would YOU be willing to bet a $1,000 donation to USF Athletics ?  8-)

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  737

He's not 200, but hes not that far off.  Im more or less the same height as Matt, (maybe 1/2 inch taller), and I weigh about 180.  Im sure Grothe is bigger than I am, and certainly has more muscle mass. I'd be surprised if hes less than 185-190.

In general I would say that USF exaggerates players weights even more than most teams, not that it really matters.