• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thank you Birmingham!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

USF doesn't bring in a billion dollars let alone three.

Sorry, sir, but I gotta call you on that one.

http://usfnews.usf.edu/page.cfm?link=article&aid=1146

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  73
  • Days Won:  0

[highlight]I don't even want to go into that statement that UAB is crumbling, but clearly you need some educating... I mean really... what on earth are you talking about?  We're only about the 2nd most important research institution in the South.  We're building several multi-million dollar facilities EVERY year.  In fact, UAB creates an estimated $2 billion impact on the local economy each and every year.  Few institutions in the nation could boast such numbers.  So again, saying that about UAB really shows how much you actually know about the situation in Birmingham. [/highlight]

Forgive me for making such a broad statement....I was speaking of UAB athletics (football) which appear to be in trouble with fan support, playing in a cavernous stadium when attendance has been so bad.  Also, the Board of Trustees at UAB has been a source of frustration for many associated with UAB and the University President has, according to many, lacked the leadership necessary to propel the university to the new heights desired.  Without a doubt, UAB is a reasonably nice, in town campus and has demonstrated good growth patterns....the university appears to need some commitment from the people of Alabama and to recognize it at a level somewhat close to Auburn and UA.  Thanks for the input and the info.

I figured that may have been what you intended to say, but even that is not necessarily accurate.  We averaged 22,000+ this last year with a 3-9 record.  That's the worst record in UAB history along with the highest per game attendance average in UAB history.  UAB is at the point now where we're still going to gain some fans pretty slowly no matter how we do on the field.  Hopefully the new coach will at least lead UAB to a bowl game every other year or so.

As far as the idea by Apis, I'd say that's not likely.  The bowl game is operated by ESPN Regional.  One of the higher ups in ESPN Regional administration is a former UAB athletic department official.  He's a big supporter of Birmingham and UAB.  That's not to say Tampa might not get a bowl game some day, but it won't likely be this one.  

I think the lack of interest shown by some of the locals that you speak of speaks to UAB's entire problem in terms of generating alot of fan interest.  This is the very reason professional sports aren't likely to be terribly successful in this state.  If it's not Alabama and it's not Auburn, it's not important... or so most of this state seems to think.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  167

In fact, UAB creates an estimated $2 billion impact on the local economy.  Few institutions in the nation could boast such numbers.  So again, saying that about UAB really shows how much you actually know about the situation in Birmingham.

USF alone brings in $3.2 BILLION annually into the Tampa Bay Area Economy.

UCF, and its Research Park bring in $3.3 Billion annually in the Central Florida Economy.

ever notice that whenever a Knight fan makes some comment stating "facts" about our two schools, they are careful to always make the number for UCF just slightly higher.

well -- except for when talking about the rap sheet

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,479

[highlight]I don't even want to go into that statement that UAB is crumbling, but clearly you need some educating... I mean really... what on earth are you talking about?  We're only about the 2nd most important research institution in the South.  We're building several multi-million dollar facilities EVERY year.  In fact, UAB creates an estimated $2 billion impact on the local economy each and every year.  Few institutions in the nation could boast such numbers.  So again, saying that about UAB really shows how much you actually know about the situation in Birmingham. [/highlight]

Forgive me for making such a broad statement....I was speaking of UAB athletics (football) which appear to be in trouble with fan support, playing in a cavernous stadium when attendance has been so bad.  Also, the Board of Trustees at UAB has been a source of frustration for many associated with UAB and the University President has, according to many, lacked the leadership necessary to propel the university to the new heights desired.  Without a doubt, UAB is a reasonably nice, in town campus and has demonstrated good growth patterns....the university appears to need some commitment from the people of Alabama and to recognize it at a level somewhat close to Auburn and UA.  Thanks for the input and the info.

I figured that may have been what you intended to say, but even that is not necessarily accurate.  We averaged 22,000+ this last year with a 3-9 record.  That's the worst record in UAB history along with the highest per game attendance average in UAB history.  UAB is at the point now where we're still going to gain some fans pretty slowly no matter how we do on the field.  Hopefully the new coach will at least lead UAB to a bowl game every other year or so.

As far as the idea by Apis, I'd say that's not likely.  The bowl game is operated by ESPN Regional.  One of the higher ups in ESPN Regional administration is a former UAB athletic department official.  He's a big supporter of Birmingham and UAB.  That's not to say Tampa might not get a bowl game some day, but it won't likely be this one.  

I think the lack of interest shown by some of the locals that you speak of speaks to UAB's entire problem in terms of generating alot of fan interest.  This is the very reason professional sports aren't likely to be terribly successful in this state.  If it's not Alabama and it's not Auburn, it's not important... or so most of this state seems to think.  

I cant tell you if your joking or not, but you do realize Tampa has the Outback Bowl right? And I believe in a previous life it was the Hall of Fame bowl that originated in Bham and moved to Tampa.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  869

Jim and Nicks ran out of ribs Friday night too.

I was handing out beads and then buttons for the Alumni Association at the place.  The beads ran out and all we had was buttons.

Jim and Nicks was out of Pork, Beef, Ribs and several types of draft beer by the time our group sat down.  The restaurant did more business in 1 night (like $18,000) then they do most weeks.  If that provides a sense of scale for economic impact.  

Granted, there were issues with the Dart bus, the Sheraton ( and lack of hot water ), one ATM in the hotel and other little issues, I found the bowl experience enjoyable.  So what if there was no portajohns, no papajohns, and the beer ran dry early in the game.

We went to the bowl, we won the bowl and the town of B'ham knows who the Bulls are now. This vs the ECU incidents and BPD paddywagons.  "How do you plea?"  "Aaaaarggghhh !!!  Your Honor"

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,479

I didnt know about that w/ the Sheraton, and Dart bus. I stayed at the Doubletree which was within walking distance of Jim and Nicks and my group didnt have any problems w/ the hotel (except checking out the ppl at the desk said, "Theres going to be a Bar-B-Q after the game, the Pirates are going to slaughter the Bulls, my response: that was so funny I'll stay at the Sheraton next time I'm here)

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Having read that article (and not the actual study, which I'll get to later), I'll repeat myself. USF doesn't  bring in a billion dollars let alone three. I'm sure that number does not include the money taken OUT of the local economy. That numer is just like many other numbers. The NFL says a couple of billion people watch the super bowl. That's not true. They say the super bowl brings in million and millions of dollars to the local economy. Also not true.

I just don't believe it. If it was true, then USF is .40% of the Florida economy. I just don't buy it.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Having read that article (and not the actual study, which I'll get to later), I'll repeat myself. USF doesn't  bring in a billion dollars let alone three. I'm sure that number does not include the money taken OUT of the local economy. That numer is just like many other numbers. The NFL says a couple of billion people watch the super bowl. That's not true. They say the super bowl brings in million and millions of dollars to the local economy. Also not true.

I just don't believe it. If it was true, then USF is .40% of the Florida economy. I just don't buy it.

Says the person who admitted to NOT reading all the supporting documents and the actual study itself..all listed on the front page of the article.

Here they are again...and after reading them, please post your own supporting documents and study.

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/ur/econimpact/EconomicImpactbrochure.pdf

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/ur/econimpact/EconomicImpactNarrative.doc

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/ur/econimpact/FinanicalStatements.pdf

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/ur/econimpact/NASULGCStudy.pdf

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/ur/econimpact/default.html

It's ok if you don't believe facts...I'm sure USF and the Tampa Bay Economy will get "over it".

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

I cant tell you if your joking or not, but you do realize Tampa has the Outback Bowl right? And I believe in a previous life it was the Hall of Fame bowl that originated in Bham and moved to Tampa.

I was just going to point that out...also, all of the previous old Hall of Fame Bowl Games played in Birmingham had HIGHER attendance than this year's Bowl Game in Birmingham.

ESPN/Papa Johns/Birmingham only signed a 2 year deal.

Will be interesting to see what they do/don't do after next year's game.

Move to St Pete? To Tampa?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  73

Why on EARTH would you think would move to St. Pete or Tampa?  You again don't seem to realize that the entire reason these particular bowl officials made this game in Birmingham was out of their love for Birmingham and for UAB... not strictly about the bottom dollar.  32,000+ for two teams that frankly don't bring a whole lot of street credibility is pretty darn good.  32,000+ is better than many of the other bowls will do and this is just its first year with limited organization.  Again, if it were UAB, Memphis, or Southern Miss as opposed to ECU, there would have been about 40,000 there.  Also, had it been Louisville or West Virginia or something vs. USF, again, there'd be alot more than that.  So again, if you're lobbying for a bowl, you'll have better luck going after another one.  There's no reason they'd move this one when the reason was to support THIS community and the fact that it was more successful than a number of other long-standing bowl games.