• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Your mission, Bulls!

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103
  • Days Won:  0

Hug it out...You heard me...Hug it out.

will never happen

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

Student Government used to have what they called "Green and Gold" patrol.  They used to silly string people wearing other schools stuff, and usually hand them a USf t-shirt or something.

It was stoped due to a retarded girl saying her fake louis bag got ruined from the green silly string (which was BS, the bag is still in the office, nothing wrong with it, but we bought her a new one!)

Still wish we did it now...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,496
  • Days Won:  13

Student Government used to have what they called "Green and Gold" patrol.  They used to silly string people wearing other schools stuff, and usually hand them a USf t-shirt or something.

It was stoped due to a retarded girl saying her fake louis bag got ruined from the green silly string (which was BS, the bag is still in the office, nothing wrong with it, but we bought her a new one!)

Still wish we did it now...

Retarded Girl = Jen Wilson

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  58

Just ignore them, I cannot hold it against someone if they grew up a Gator/Nole/Cane/Crimson Tide/whatever fan and remain that way. I changed alliegences (from ND to USF) but not everyone is going to do that.

I always use the same example, my best friend's roomate at UF was a die hard Nole, his side of the dorm room was practically Garnett and Gold. While he got razzled here and there on, not very many really cared all that much that he was a Seminole walking around campus.

Then there was the case of the kid at USF who was wearing a Gator hat, someone called him bandwagon before class and he explained that he was at UF, but his mom was diagnosed with cancer and was going to Moffit. He transferred down to help take care of here.

Then there was the case of a Bulls fan (if you're reading this speak up) that goes to UF, wears her Bulls stuff during the weeks and even has Bulls tags on her car. She explained that she has never had any problems and has only gotten compliments from people around campus.

Yes, I hate it as much as you do, but going up and "talking" or making an example of someone is just stupid. If you don't know their story and don't know why they may be wearing it leave them alone. I don't expect all people to change their allegiances in sports, especially when they are a die hard fan. Kids in college right now didn't have the opportunity to grow up Bulls fans. When they do you will see a lot less Orange and Blue/Garnett and Gold/Orange and Green.

I dont care if your reason for attending USF was to tend a sick mother or for finianical reason. Once you are accepted and are attending USF wearing other teams garbage has got to stop. At least at the minimum, you shouldnt wear it on USF property. If you do, you're a tool, simple as that.

As for thinking USF is a secondary institution, I think that is the general preception. Among both the average joe and those on this board (although we dont want to admit it). Look, if there is a two page thread explaining why you went to USF over some other college, you know there is a problem. People that go to the top schools dont bother telling people why they went there. Hopefully, one day we will get there, but  doubt it. Thats just the way things are. I still love USF and am gratefull for my diploma but I do realise we are not the best school academically.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I'm sorry, wearing it at a football game is one thing, but wearing it around campus is another.

Seriously, what does calling someone else do? They won't "see the light" and drop to their knees and praise all that is USF. They won't start crying and beg for forgivness, and finally they probably sure as hell won't stop wearing the clothes.

Some fans need to get over the inferiority complex and know that it isn't just USF that has fans of other schools on their campus. It happens at every institution. There was a Michigan fan who was a student at UCLA, they kept panning to him him in the student section of UCLA during the UCLA/USC game.

It sucks, but move on.

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

I dont care if your reason for attending USF was to tend a sick mother or for finianical reason. Once you are accepted and are attending USF wearing other teams garbage has got to stop. At least at the minimum, you shouldnt wear it on USF property. If you do, you're a tool, simple as that.

As for thinking USF is a secondary institution, I think that is the general preception. Among both the average joe and those on this board (although we dont want to admit it). Look, if there is a two page thread explaining why you went to USF over some other college, you know there is a problem. People that go to the top schools dont bother telling people why they went there. Hopefully, one day we will get there, but  doubt it. Thats just the way things are. I still love USF and am gratefull for my diploma but I do realise we are not the best school academically.

I gotta call shullbit on that one. That's ri-got-dang-diculous. Perhaps said insistence is the reason why, as you say, people are "thinking USF is a secondary institution". Why would a first-rate institution care if I wear my alma mater's gear? I love USF, am grateful for my diploma, AND I believe are an excellent school academically. Same goes for UMBC. Further, if it weren't for my undergrad alma mater, I would never BE at USF. Why in blue hell would I jump ship and stop wearing it?! Quite frankly, I think THAT would show a lack of character.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  58

I gotta call shullbit on that one. That's ri-got-dang-diculous. Perhaps said insistence is the reason why, as you say, people are "thinking USF is a secondary institution". Why would a first-rate institution care if I wear my alma mater's gear? I love USF, am grateful for my diploma, AND I believe are an excellent school academically. Same goes for UMBC. Further, if it weren't for my undergrad alma mater, I would never BE at USF. Why in blue hell would I jump ship and stop wearing it?! Quite frankly, I think THAT would show a lack of character.

What/Who is UMBC, is that like the University of Phoenix? Do they have a football team? If not, I think we are talking apples to oranges. I really dont think most people would get offended if you wore your Community College shirt on the USF campus. If you didnt attend the university, dont wear the crap on USF campuses or at the games.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  280

If it’s a perception problem, it’s because we have not built the needed awareness yet that changes people’s minds as to who we are. Just because the awareness is not there, doesn’t mean we are indeed a second rate school. That line of thinking is what will kill us in the future. Afraid to admit it? What are we afraid to admit? That we are building something special here? The growth of this school has been exponential. Looking back, it even seems like it’s not the same school I entered into four years ago. With the advances in research, campus infrastructure, athletics, and even the logo changes you can tell that this university means serious business in becoming one of the better ones. If anything I’ll admit that we’re turning heads in more ways than one.

I also don’t feel the need to write two page papers defending why I chose to come to USF, I’d rather go up against candidates from those schools for jobs and win out, which I’ve done on more than one occasion. I’ve never regretted where I went to school and I feel even more proud to be a contributing member in establishing the history of our school rather than chasing it at another one. And if you scroll up, they’re not defending why they chose USF to people that attend other schools, but rather to inform our own students who happen to have this flawed thinking.

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

What/Who is UMBC, is that like the University of Phoenix? Do they have a football team? If not, I think we are talking apples to oranges. I really dont think most people would get offended if you wore your Community College shirt on the USF campus. If you didnt attend the university, dont wear the crap on USF campuses or at the games.

First of all, do your homework before you go insulting my alma mater. The University of Maryland, Baltimore County. www.umbc.edu's a good place to start, though the Princeton Review'll give you some quality information too. Maybe you won't sound so uneducated next time. And no, we don't have a football team. But what if we did? I have other friends of mine--now fellow USF alums--who got their undergraduate degrees from FSU and UF. What, pray tell, is your reasoning for them abandoning their alma maters because they chose to pursue a graduate degree? I would think that someone who wishes to foster pride in their alma mater would be supportive of such things.

And if you happen to be in the DC area over the holidays, I think the winningest program in collegiate chess is headed to the Final Four again. No, it's not a sport. But it's not bad for a "community college".

http://sta.umbc.edu/orgs/chess/Pan-Am2006/

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981

There was a Michigan fan who was a student at UCLA, they kept panning to him him in the student section of UCLA during the UCLA/USC game.

I think what gets to people is that we are a young program that is struggling to get people to the games and yet we see our own idolatrizing other schools that they didn't attend or grew up fans of.  You can't just compare our situation with that of a Michigan fan at the UCLA game, or a UF student wearing a USF hat, because they have an established fan base.