• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Woolard Named to NCAA Sports Wagering Task Force

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

From the USF SID OFfice

New USF Director of Athletics Named to NCAA Sports Wagering Task Force

Doug Woolard, named director of athletics at the University of South Florida May 12, has been named to the National Collegiate Athletic Association Sports Wagering Task Force. The task force has been assembled in response to findings of a national study commissioned by the NCAA that reveals a “disturbing” frequency of sports wagering among student-athletes.

The NCAA’s 2003 National Study on Collegiate Sports Wagering and Associated Health Risks is the most comprehensive of its kind to measure the preponderance of wagering among student-athletes. It encompasses responses from approximately 21,000 make and female student-athletes at NCAA member institutions across all three NCAA divisions in most NCAA championship sports.

“The scope of sports wagering among intercollegiate student-athletes is startling and disturbing,” says NCAA President Myles Brand. “Sports wagering is a double-threat because it harms the well-being of student athletes and the integrity of college sports.”

As a member of the task force, Woolard will be charged with assisting in developing recommendations with a dual focus on ensuring the well being of student-athletes as well as the integrity of intercollegiate athletics. The recommendations could include expanding education efforts, proposed NCAA legislation and suggestions for legislation at the state and federal levels.

Woolard is presently in his 10th year as director of athletics at Saint Louis University. He begins his duties at USF June 14.

Guest BasketBull.

I bet he will give USF a good name.

That hire is looking better already.

Don't go far: Go up to lizardville and start right there!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Bulliever... turn your cell on... whatcha doing up so early?

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

connected!

nice but the job is here and a big job it is, don't spread yourself too thin before you know how big a job you have at your primary job.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

more publicity, in a positive light.  Nothing wrong with it.  

Guest Disco Duck
connected!

nice but the job is here and a big job it is, don't spread yourself too thin before you know how big a job you have at your primary job.

You have got to be kidding me. You want him NOT to particiapte in a high profile, AD-run NCAA committee? Has the fact that he will be rubbing elbows with prominent ADs from other great schools escaped you? Do you even understand what an AD does in the first place?

Please-- if anything, Woolards participation will not only spread the word about USF-- it might even lead to some home and home contests so many consistently whine about on this message board.

Lots to do everywhere-- yes, there is but so what? He hasn't even started his job officially (June 14th) with USF anyway. For all I care, he can be sunning himself in the Bahamas right now-- he's earned it after 10 years at SLU. On June 14th-- get to work and do your best. Be a member of prestigious committees when invited and show the country USF has a top level AD at the helm. What Lee Roy lacked in terms of overall experience as an AD is what this guy has in spades. He will delegate the other matters to his staff and they will be on the clock to get the results he expects-- plain and simple.

quack quack-- Disco Duck has left the building!

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Disco Duck or Collin Sherwin? The article definitely reads like a Collin post! Is the school preventing you from posting Collin? Don't be scared! First Amendment rights exist everywhere I guess except when it comes to this message board!

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866
  • Days Won:  0

Hey Sheriff,

You'll never catch me as a guest poster.  If you got something to say, put your name on it!  Rick Dees... er Disco Duck, though eloquent, isn't me.  

Guest Disco Duck
Disco Duck or Collin Sherwin? The article definitely reads like a Collin post! Is the school preventing you from posting Collin? Don't be scared! First Amendment rights exist everywhere I guess except when it comes to this message board!

I'm am not Collin, but I know him. I do not work at USF or have any ties to the administration beyond normal interaction of alumni.

Why is it so bad to be a guest poster around here-- you guys treat me like garbage, especially VelcroGrip.