• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It's Official: Florida vs Ohio State

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Except there is a problem with your thought process.

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that ....

Florida State was #1 and Florida was #3 when they faced each other.  1996 was the second year of the "Bowl Alliance" -- which did not include the Rose Bowl.  So, #2 Arizona State went to the Rose Bowl.

Otherwise, Florida would have been left out because of their loss in Tallahassee.

I did say similar situation ..... and it still would have been delicious irony.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except there is a problem with your thought process.

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that ....

Florida State was #1 and Florida was #3 when they faced each other.  1996 was the second year of the "Bowl Alliance" -- which did not include the Rose Bowl.  So, #2 Arizona State went to the Rose Bowl.

Otherwise, Florida would have been left out because of their loss in Tallahassee.

I did say similar situation ..... and it still would have been delicious irony.

I agree.  My point was that the system seems to have worked this year and would have worked then as well.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  46
  • Days Won:  0

Like I mentioned in an earlier thread, the job of the BCS isn't supposed to put the two best conference champions in the national title game, the BCS should put the two best TEAMS there.

Florida is not the second best team in the country.  Tim Tebow up the middle IS NOT going to get it done against a stingy OSU defense.  All the UF fans can boast about playing in the SEC = playing tougher competition, but there's no way they're going to put up 39 points against OSU, like Michigan did in Columbus.

Someone earlier posted that Florida's top 3 victories were LSU, Arkansas, Tennessee.  They didn't hammer any of those teams and the LSU and Arkansas games were not played on the road.

I am neither a UM fan, nor a UF fan.  I would like to see the best game, and clearly that would be a rematch of what was a terrific college football game.

FYI, the two controversial schools couldn't be more similar.  Both have the whinniest and most illogical fans in the country.  

OSU over UF by 24 points!  Enjoy your SEC title and trip to the NC game Gaytors.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

who the heck did OSU beat that crowned them kings of the world? Barely beat UM at home.  Beat an exposed Texas team, in Colt McCoy's second ever start.  Their next best win is against an 8-4 Penn St.  Whoopdie doo  

Granted, that 7 point victory over 2-10 Illinois was impressive

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Someone earlier posted that Florida's top 3 victories were LSU, Arkansas, Tennessee.  They didn't hammer any of those teams and the LSU and Arkansas games were not played on the road.

Michigan didn't hammer Ball State either. BALL STATE!!!!!

Florida beat Tennessee on the road. Michigan beat a very suspect ND team to say the least.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

For those you saying FL should be there because they won thier conference, just remember one thing.  The BCS was not put together to match up conference champions.  It was to put the 2 best teams on the field to play for the NC, period.  Conf. Championships is irrelevent.  Maybe it should be relevent, but it is not.  Based on thier play this year, you can make an equally strong case that Mich deserves to play in NC game.  Michigan's one loss came to #1 OSU at OSu by 3, Florida lost to #10 AU by 10.  For every argument you can make for FL, you can make an equal argument for Michigan.  At least Lloyd Carr took the high road and didn't whine and campaign for it like Urban Meyer.  I hope Meyer's campaigning didn't affect the outcome.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

The best teams are normally the ones who do win their conference. Michigan already had their shot at Ohio State. It's unfair to Ohio State for Michigan to get another shot.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  46

Michigan didn't hammer Ball State either. BALL STATE!!!!!

Florida beat Tennessee on the road. Michigan beat a very suspect ND team to say the least.

Michigan beat ND in South Bend by 26, Florida beat Tennessee by 1.  

This type of argument can, and will, go on for weeks to come.  I'm glad the Gators are going to NC game because they will be exposed by OSU.  Maybe then Urban Meyer will learn to stop crying.  Then again, he lives in a town full of crybabies.

Whatever - USF over ECU by 17.

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Florida deserves to be there.  Before the season they had the toughest schedule argubally and after the season they had the toughest.  Michigan had their shot and blew it.  Michigan's good but they are no better than Florida, and they didn't nearly play as tough a schedule.  Plus Florida played an extra game against a very tough opponent.  Advantage Florida.

For all the BCS flaws, this year it worked because the two best teams will be playing.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

The best teams are normally the ones who do win their conference. Michigan already had their shot at Ohio State. It's unfair to Ohio State for Michigan to get another shot.

Michigan just has the unfortunate luck of having lost to OSU earlier.  If they had lost to some one else, they might be in NC game.  The BCS tries to put the 2 best teams on the field, regardless of who/when they lost.  And you can make a strong argument that Michigan is the 2nd best team in country.  Florida can too, there really is no clear cut #2.