• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do You Respect East Carolina?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Respect? That's a strong word. How do you respect a team that you know absolutely nothing about whatsoever until you look them up on the internet? I love college football and watch games all the time. They really don't have to be major college games. I even watched the Youngstown State/James Madison game the other night. But, when I think of East Carolina I don't think of sports.

As a matter of fact, I don't ever remember even seeing East Carolina play a football game in the last 10+ years. I remember they were getting some press a long time ago when they had the "mullet-haired" QB, and quite frankly, I don't even remember his name. East Carolina is the place people think about to rent a house on the beach to relax from the stresses of work to get some sun and play golf. Not, the place people care about football.  

I know most of you on here are ready to jump on everything I say from the get-go, but it's hard to get excited about playing a bowl game against East Carolina. There are so many bowl games now that only a handful are truly "exciting" match-ups for anyone other than the fans of each team playing. But, during the holiday season, there always seems to end up being a few games that do become exciting to watch if you happen to tune in. Hopefully, that will be the case for all football fans that end up watching this match-up.

Bottom line...bowl game against East Carolina is better than no bowl game at all.

Come on! ECU was cosidered a good program up until 5 years ago.  They upset Miami TWICE in the last 10 years 1996, 1999 - Both times Miami was ranked, that 99 game they were top 10.

Are there other matchups we'd like to see? Yes. But ECU isn't crap and Skip Holtz has them back to where they were. There was a point 99-01 where ECU was arguably the best program in the state of North Carolina.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Respect? That's a strong word. How do you respect a team that you know absolutely nothing about whatsoever until you look them up on the internet? I love college football and watch games all the time. They really don't have to be major college games. I even watched the Youngstown State/James Madison game the other night. But, when I think of East Carolina I don't think of sports.

As a matter of fact, I don't ever remember even seeing East Carolina play a football game in the last 10+ years. I remember they were getting some press a long time ago when they had the "mullet-haired" QB, and quite frankly, I don't even remember his name. East Carolina is the place people think about to rent a house on the beach to relax from the stresses of work to get some sun and play golf. Not, the place people care about football.  

I know most of you on here are ready to jump on everything I say from the get-go, but it's hard to get excited about playing a bowl game against East Carolina. There are so many bowl games now that only a handful are truly "exciting" match-ups for anyone other than the fans of each team playing. But, during the holiday season, there always seems to end up being a few games that do become exciting to watch if you happen to tune in. Hopefully, that will be the case for all football fans that end up watching this match-up.

Bottom line...bowl game against East Carolina is better than no bowl game at all.

Come on! ECU was cosidered a good program up until 5 years ago.  They upset Miami TWICE in the last 10 years 1996, 1999 - Both times Miami was ranked, that 99 game they were top 10.

Are there other matchups we'd like to see? Yes. But ECU isn't crap and Skip Holtz has them back to where they were. There was a point 99-01 where ECU was arguably the best program in the state of North Carolina.

So you're excited about playing ECU?? Jfc's bottom line spells it out nicely ...

PS. I guess we can add "ECU" to your apologist list.   ;)

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  0

What exactly did USF do in C-USA?  Championships?

No, USF played ECU three times.  USF won all three and left the conference.  Why would anyone want to go back to play teams in a conference they left, especially if they are in a non-BCS conference?  I want to see new blood, new BCS blood.  

The fun of Bowls is playing teams you do not normally see or at least it used to be.  The fun of the Rose Bowl is that the Big 10 does not typically play the PAC-10 until the Rose Bowl.  It is the same reason I hate interleague play in baseball.  It was special when the AL played the NL in the series.  Now, it is common place.  

Even if you take the BCS thing out of it.  I would rather see Rice, Tulsa, or one of the other new C-USA schools that USF has not played. Or even a MAC team we have not played.  We played ECU already and there was nothing special about it.  We were not rivals, we did not hate each other.  It was simply another conference game.  No knock on ECU or their program, just we've been there and done that.  Hell, ECU can win this game, as I said.  However, that is not my point.  

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

ECU fans, how would you feel if you had to play the third or fourth place Sun-Belt team?  That's how most fans here feel.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080

I don't like the fact that we are facing a C-USA team. They may beat us, stranger things have happened, but the point is I want to see us play a BCS conference opponent.  I would feel the same about any non-BCS conference team, not just ECU.   [highlight] ECU is as good as any other C-USA team, but  from my perspective it is "been there, done that" situation.[/highlight]  I

What exactly did USF do in C-USA?  Championships?

I'm thinking what he meant was that the fun part about going to a bowl game is playing someone you haven't played before, or for a long time ... someone with a little "prestige", for lack of a better word. We've played ECU 3 times, winning all, in the last 5 years, hence the "been there, done that" situation. It's got nothing to do with what we did or didn't accomplish in CUSA.

Well then he/we should be happy to be playing ECU.  Look at it as a tune-up bowl, a game where we can score our first bowl game points and secure bowl victory.   Sort of like playing McNeese, Elon and Wofford ::)

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I wouldn't say I am AMPED to see ECU. But I think it could be a good game and well any bowl game is good at this point.

I also think they are probably just as good on the field a Texas Tech or Oklahoma State; neither team is so intringuing at 6-6 that I'm really in the pitts about the matchup. However, they don't have that BCS tag, so it does take the luster away.

Could be worse we could be heading to Toronto. Wouldn't that be fun?

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080

I want to see new blood, new BCS blood.  

We saw new BCS blood at the Muffler Bowl and we came away with a bloody stump. :'(

BTW, I agree with not wanting to play a C-USA / non BCS team in a bowl game.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  24

Here is what ECU talks about on their messege board.  

OT - Greg from The Wiggles may quit the group  --  cBad   Wed Nov 29 2006 9:18:34 AM

Hate to hear that.....my son is a Wiggles addict at the moment...  --  Capital Pirate   Wed Nov 29 2006 9:36:06 AM

No clue who they are but says they grossed $39 million last year! **  --  SwissPirate   Wed Nov 29 2006 9:21:06 AM

They are bigger than the Beatles for the 5 and under crowd **  --  bcp   Wed Nov 29 2006 9:31:01 AM

No 5 and unders yet.......  --  SwissPirate   Wed Nov 29 2006 9:32:19 AM

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

http://www.boneyardbanter.com/message_board/banter/2006/November/29/120857.php  

Funny but at least they are not bashing USF, the fans, or Ray Jay for once.