• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OJ Mayo Prefers Smazza over Huggy Bear

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

A package deal it was supposed to be: Hire Bob Huggins and you will get top kids including OJ Mayo. Obviously OJ Mayo feels differently and prefer the sunshine then the cold Kansas St weather.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2663744

LOS ANGELES -- Guard O.J. Mayo, a two-time Mr. Basketball in Ohio who is considered the top prep prospect in the country, has signed a national letter of intent to play at Southern California.

His signing was announced late Wednesday night by USC.

Mayo, a 6-foot-5, 215-pounder from Huntington, W.Va., averaged 28.6 points, 5.7 rebounds, five assists and 2.3 steals last season as a junior at North College Hill High in Cincinnati. He led the school to its second consecutive Division III state title.

"We feel as a result of this recruiting class that it has changed the perception and expectations of our program," USC coach Tim Floyd said. "In O.J. Mayo, we signed the No. 1 player in the country. We think the impact of him alone raises the level of the program."

Widely regarded as the top player in his class since the seventh grade, Mayo began getting attention as a 13-year-old starter on the varsity team at Rose Hill Christian School in Ashland, Ky.

Mayo went on lead North College Hill High to two state titles before transferring to Huntington High in West Virginia for his senior year.

"He has a poise to his game that is uncommon for a player his age," Floyd said. "I would encourage people to buy their tickets because he is worth it."

Also signing national letters of intent with USC were forward Davon Jefferson of Lynwood, forward Leonard Washington of Lake Charles, La., and swingman Marcus Simmons of Alexandria, La.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549

Mayo might turn out to be a great player, but he has burn-out written all over him, IMO.  The anti-Lebron, if you will.  He already looks like he's lived a hard 35 years.

K-State did get Bill Walker (who'll play this year), and Michael Beasley, so Huggs has got something to work with.  For one year.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

was USF in the running?

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

Can't blame him for choosing nice weather.

Warm weather.  Plus he is making the jump to the nba after one season, so Tim Floyd being a nba experienced coach could probably help him out a little better than Huggy in that aspect.  

good for usc, I will be watching and havent watched usc bball in a while.  

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

nice weather

new indoor stadium down the block from staples arena(lakers/clippers)

most beautiful woman in the world

best night clubs

what a fun town

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

was USF in the running?

No, but the HuggyGroupies said Mayo was a lock. I wonder if Duke was in the running?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

most beautiful woman in the world

Who?

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

was USF in the running?

No, but the HuggyGroupies said Mayo was a lock. I wonder if Duke was in the running?

Bulliever, OJ recently said he needed to go to a school that could handle him, like usc.  

Answering subliminally to a reporter insinuating the whole huggins connection and how he wasnt going to kstate.    

I dont blame OJ.  I dont care how cool and how great of a coach huggins is, if I am the next best player coming in and committed going to where huggins is, manhattan kansas may be bad enough to deter me from that, it was a lock until he found out thats where he was going.  deservingly so.  This kid knows he is going to be living the "leinart" lifestyle one year in college in a great city.  Its like cmon Bobby anywhere else but kansas, though after seeing usf bball history im sure he wouldnt have chose usf either but Tampa is a city with stop lights so you never know.  

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

I can't believe that already I am reading excuses about Kansas, the state...

Shameful.