• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I think the reason nobody goes to the game is because they played Buffalo -- they went 1-15 in the conference last year - and haven't contended for an NCAA berth in 15 years.

but maybe that is just far fetched.  what do i know

Buffalo is a good basketball program.

Unlike USF, Buffalo did come close contending for a NCAA bid just 18 months ago. Actually, Buffalo came within 0.5 seconds of earning a NCAA Bid in 2005...as they lost the MAC Championship Game by 1 pt on a tip-in with 0.5 secs left.

They did earn though a NIT bid...and won their first round game in 2005 as well.

The attraction for the USF/Buffalo game should of been could USF pull off the upset?

Answer was Yes.

Fans might of missed a good game.

When you're in a conference with UConn, Cincinnati, Georgetown, Pitt, Marquette, St. Johns and more, and your goal is an upset of Buffalo, you're not going to draw many fans because it means you suck. Most people I know don't enjoy watching bad basketball.

I understand the concept of baby steps, but how many baby steps does it take before McCullum's team starts ******* walking? In his three seasons, they've gone 7-20 (1-15), 14-16 (5-11) and 7-22 (1-15). Sure they went to the C-USA semis a couple of years ago (despite a losing record), but they're in a much tougher league now. The school basically cut the basketball program at the knees with the Big East move for the sake of the football program (a good move, I'd say), and now I think McCullum is out of his league. If they go 1-15 in-conference again this year, I think it's time for them to cut their losses and find a guy who can help the team get up to speed.

Funny. I think that storied St John's you talk about went 6-21 (1 conference win), 9-18 (3 conference wins), and 12-15 ( 5 conference wins) in the last 3 years. Maybe you were thinking of the mid 80's?

I'm sure their fans rallied around the team with losses to Niagara, St Francis, Illinois State, Marist, Hofstra, Fairfield, etc all within the last three years.

Not bad for a school with a much larger athletic budget than us and no football program to fund.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

St. Johns didn't have any scholarships because they were on probation..

so we are comparing our team with another college that doesn't offer scholarships>..?

funny.

why don't we stop making excuses and demand that our basketball team at leas makes the conference tourny..

how low can standards be?

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

so we are comparing our team with another college that doesn't offer scholarships>..?

funny.

why don't we stop making excuses and demand that our basketball team at leas makes the conference tourny..

how low can standards be?

Ari I am very impressed you are aware of St Johns being on probation.  Look at st johns scout report they have WAAAYYY better recruits coming in than us this and next year.  Their coach Norm Roberts, Roy Williams assitant and #1 recruiter at kansas has this team on the up and up and the fans excited.  Mac has noone excited but a few on this board, dont believe me just look at the thread with the pics of our so called tough game with Buffalo....empty.  

Bull 94 you talk about losing to hofstra like it is a bad thing. Really?  They were hosed last year not making the tourney, i believe they beat George Mason in the regular season who went pretty far in the tourney if you remember, and Hofstra is a predicted top 25 team lthis year.  They would crush usf.  Stick to CUSA bball its more your kind of league.  

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

what has happened to the basketball program?

i guess the football program hasnt helped basketball!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

Bull 94 you talk about losing to hofstra like it is a bad thing. Really?  They were hosed last year not making the tourney, i believe they beat George Mason in the regular season who went pretty far in the tourney if you remember, and Hofstra is a predicted top 25 team lthis year.

What about the losses to Niagara, St Francis, Illinois State, Marist,and Fairfield?

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  125

yea...i dont know what the athletic department needs to do to market these games to students more.  i mean, geez, they are free, serve beer, walk to the game, etc.

i know when i was a student i was at every home game when i wasnt in class or working

I think we have the two sports reversed.  Basketball would sell better at the St Pete Times Arena and football would sell better on campus!  A lot of successful programs play b-ball in downtown arenas off campus, but few attract more football to pro stadiums.

At the Forum, USF bball would get the city crowd and business clientele.  I would bet they would double attendance at the forum.

Bull 94 you talk about losing to hofstra like it is a bad thing. Really?  They were hosed last year not making the tourney, i believe they beat George Mason in the regular season who went pretty far in the tourney if you remember, and Hofstra is a predicted top 25 team lthis year.

What about the losses to Niagara, St Francis, Illinois State, Marist,and Fairfield?

Trip the whole team was almost suspended 2 years ago for taping themselves sleeping with some waitress in the sky in Pitssburgh.  They were on probation and had no scholarships.  I almost went to St johns without a scholarship but my Dad is a working class guy and st johns is a private catholic university that cost 20K a year.  How many young urban kids in nyc have parents that would pay for their kids to play ball there for 20 k a year.  Not many.  

What is macs excuse.  no scholarships?  No.  Probation?  No.  Wait I know.  Terrible recruiting.  An absolute mind boggler of how his players quit, transfer or get kicked off the team.  As my boy Babagadush from Wedding Crashers would say "erroneous" (sp?)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

They were on probation and had no scholarships.

LOL .... You "two" are so full of crap. Let me be the first to use this ......  [smiley=link.gif]   .... Some players were kicked off the team but as far as probation and no scholarships back then, just more fabricating on your part.

Trip you know Im not a link kind of a person.  In short, players were kicked off and school was punished when about 4-5 of their players were taping, on their cell phones, them receiveing sexual favors from some drunk stewardess in pittsburgh during an away match.  The team booted some players.  Then st johns got caught paying a player money or giving incentives yadi yadi yada you know how it goes.  Then the NCAA took away scholarships, how many? I dont really care or rememeber but enought to ruin a season.  Have someone else look up the real story, I dont have that kind of time, theres good television on.