• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We Still Can Win the Big East Title

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  243
  • Days Won:  0

CJL talked about it, why aren't we? Think about it:

We beat UL and WVa, making us 5-2 in conference and at worst tying with UL and Wva.

Rutgers loses two of its final three (at Cincy, vs 'Cuse and at West Va.) Rutgers finishes 5-2 and co-champions are declared.

The BCS nod, however, would basically go to the team with the highest BCS ranking (unless there's just two teams tied, then it's the head to head winner).

Off to bed now, to dream some more ...

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

You're right, basketball season is far from over.  Baseball too.  We still have a good chance.

If you expect Rutgers to lose to that ponderous offense we played today AND cincy, you're expecting a bit much.

However, you'd be expecting even more if you think the biased media/coaches would give us enough votes to hand us the BCS ranking league tiebreaker.  Forget it, I hope we win every single game left on the schedule.  I think it's actually possible, although unlikely.  But count out a BE BCS berth for the Bulls this season.  The BCS will try to avoid that at all costs.

Actually, there is no chance for USF to win the Big East without Rutgers losing all 3 games... here's way.

If all four teams finish 5-2, a "mini conference" is created involving those four teams.

- USF would be 2-1

- Rutgers would be 2-1

- U of L would be 1-2

- WVU would be 1-2

In that case, the head to head winner between USF and Rutgers (Rutgers) would be the Big East Champion.

There would be FOUR Co-Champions...

(http://www.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/bige/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/tiebreak)

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Actually, there is no chance for USF to win the Big East without Rutgers losing all 3 games... here's way.

If all four teams finish 5-2, a "mini conference" is created involving those four teams.

- USF would be 2-1

- Rutgers would be 2-1

- U of L would be 1-2

- WVU would be 1-2

In that case, the head to head winner between USF and Rutgers (Rutgers) would be the Big East Champion.

(http://www.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/bige/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/tiebreak)

I could be mistaken and I know it is just a technicality, but I think if we all finish 5 - 2 in the Big East then we are all Big East Champions, the tie breaker just decides who gets the Big East BCS berth.  I think all teams would split the first place (and second and third) payout.  Could be wrong on that though, something doesn't seem right about half the conference being the "Conference Champion".

- USF would be 2-1

- Rutgers would be 2-1

- U of L would be 1-2

- WVU would be 1-2

I could be mistaken and I know it is just a technicality, but I think if we all finish 5 - 2 in the Big East then we are all Big East Champions, the tie breaker just decides who gets the Big East BCS berth.  I think all teams would split the first place (and second and third) payout.  Could be wrong on that though, something doesn't seem right about half the conference being the "Conference Champion".

Which is why I noted that there would be four co-champions...

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

- USF would be 2-1

- Rutgers would be 2-1

- U of L would be 1-2

- WVU would be 1-2

I'd take being co-champion any day.  To win big east we needed Rutgers to lose to UL and UL to lose to someone else instead.  Still, beating UL and WVU would make us 2nd, and if Rutgers loses to Cincy and WVU then we can claim 1st.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

this seems a bit far fetched

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,297

It does seem far fetched but crazier things have happened before.   :)

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

I would like Rutgers to win out and get ranked as high as possible.... They are setting the table for us next year... When we win next year our path will be set, a bowl game this year with all the off field problems and the escape from two cupcakes early on, we should be very grateful!