• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does Lville losing hurt us going to bowl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

ND will go into the USC game with one loss and they should be ranked high enough in the BCS to still receive an automatic bid even if the Trojans beat them.

The only thing tonight's game did was take Louisville out of the BCS. WVU or Rutgers will be the Big East representative now.

what happens if WVU beats Rutgers?  then who would be the Big East Champ?  assuming Louisville wins out (which they wont  ;))  but still...if 3 teams all have 1 loss it would go to the highest ranked team?  what is the tie breaker?  

team with highest bcs ranking wins

ND will go into the USC game with one loss and they should be ranked high enough in the BCS to still receive an automatic bid even if the Trojans beat them.

ND would have to remain in the Top 8 to get the Automatic bid.  Since they are #9 now, and will probably be no better than #8 when they play USC, I don't see how they could remain in the Top 8 if USC beats them.  They will, however, likely remain in the Top 14 - and therefore eligible for a BCS slot.

what happens if WVU beats Rutgers?  then who would be the Big East Champ?  assuming Louisville wins out (which they wont  ;))  but still...if 3 teams all have 1 loss it would go to the highest ranked team?  what is the tie breaker?  

If WVU beats Rutgers and all three finish 6-1 in conference, the team with the highest BCS ranking wins... that would probably be West Virginia.

Big East Tie-Breaker Procedure icon-acrosmall.gif

1)  It won't hurt our bowl chances one bit.  Doesn't really affect them.  Looks like we are headed to Bham regardless.

2)  Don't count out Rutgers just yet to play for NC game as crazy as that sounds.  If they can survive a landmine game at UC, and if they can move to the 7-8 range in next polls, and then if they continue to win impressively and beat another top 10 WVU at WVU, moving them up to the 3-4 range, with 1 and 2 playing each other, they will have a chance.  maybe not a great chance, but a chance nonetheless.  Quick, how many teams are going to beat 2 top 10 teams and be undefeated.  A: not many.  Before you laugh keep your eye on the bcs polls.  

You are right that a USF win this Saturday over Syracuse probably solidifies USF into the Birmingham Bowl.

However, Rutgers will not be playing for the National Championship.  They are #13 in the BCS this week, but it is very hard to move up.  Assuming that Rutgers wins out, #11 Arkansas plays Tennessee and #12 LSU; RU will have beaten #10 West Virginia; #7 USC plays both #8 California & #9 Notre Dame; and #4 Florida could play #6 Auburn.  We can assume that the losers will all drop behind Rutgers, along with Louisville.

But... that means if everything goes the right way, Rutgers will probably still be behind Ohio State, Michigan, Florida/Auburn winner, Texas, and the USC/Notre Dame winner.  RU will need some help to make the National Championship game.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

ND would have to remain in the Top 8 to get the Automatic bid.  Since they are #9 now, and will probably be no better than #8 when they play USC, I don't see how they could remain in the Top 8 if USC beats them.  They will, however, likely remain in the Top 14 - and therefore eligible for a BCS slot.

Cal and USC play, so one of them will drop below ND. We don't know how far Louisville is going to drop and it is doubtful that Rutgers will move up past ND in the next BCS poll. If Florida does play Auburn in the SEC Championship, then the loser of that game would more than likely fall below ND.

They'll find a way to make sure ND is close enough to #8 to ensure they are selected.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  0

I would still prefer the International Bowl.  At least we will be going against a new team and will not be expected to bring more than 5k.  We have about 5k die-hards that will travel to any bowl.  I think that plays more favorably in Toronto than B-ham.  I am worried about another Meineke turn out for USF.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

I thought ND had a different BCS requirement, like top 12 and they were in?

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I think it's top 12 automatically in, top 14 eligible to be selected (which really means, automatically in)

From the BCS website:

4. Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings.

AND

At-Large Teams

If there are fewer than 10 automatic qualifiers, then the bowls will select at-large participants to fill the remaining berths. At at-large team is any Division I-A team that is bowl-eligible and meets the following requirements:

A. Has won at least nine regular-season games, and

B. Is among the top 14 teams in the final BCS Standings.

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

Yes I did mean 1 bcs team instead of two screwing us up?

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

I thought ND had a different BCS requirement, like top 12 and they were in?

They ARE independent, so they have that ability.  Realisticly though, how often will they be eligible and NOT be picked?!