• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Butch davis to coach NC next year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

never happen

Davis nearing deal to coach North Carolina

Former University of Miami coach Butch Davis is close to an agreement to become the new coach at North Carolina.

Contrary to various media reports that said Davis and the Tar Heels have completed contract talks, a North Carolina source speaking on the condition of anonymity said negotiations between Davis' agent and the university are still ongoing.

A deal "hadn't yet been finalized, but it seems we're headed in that direction," the source told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach.

Read more

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Man Smazz... wrong again... let me know when you get something right about college football.. until then, i'll just assume you are wrong   :P

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,666
  • Days Won:  29

I think he will do a very good job up there ... just not in 2007.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,674
  • Days Won:  424

Man Smazz... wrong again... let me know when you get something right about college football.. until then, i'll just assume you are wrong   :P

Not so fasy, my friend...He still hasn't actually signed yet, has he??

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

They are working out the contract details and it could be done early this week.

Not so fasy, my friend...He still hasn't actually signed yet, has he??

True, but I read smazza's line as saying that would never happen... well if it is in the works, i guess "never happen" isn't accurate.  It sounds like smazz is saying that he'd never even consider it... well... if that is the case... smazz is 100% wrong.

North Carolina names Butch Davis new head coachAssociated Press

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- Former NFL and Miami Hurricanes coach Butch Davis will return to the sidelines as coach at North Carolina, which is 1-9 and hasn't beaten a Division I-A school this season.

Davis

He will replace the fired John Bunting, the school said Monday. The hiring had been widely expected the past week after Davis' name rose to the top of the list of candidates.

Davis, who will turn 55 on Friday, brings a reputation for orchestrating turnarounds -- which is just what the struggling Tar Heels need. North Carolina ranks among the worst offenses and defenses in the country.

"Butch Davis became our first choice early in the process, although we did not know of his interest in us," North Carolina athletic director **** Baddour said. "We were excited to learn of his interest in Carolina and our football program and proceeded from that point. He's a first-class individual who is committed to preparing his student-athletes for success in all aspects of their lives."

Davis was 51-20 as the Miami Dolphins' coach from 1995-00, then took over as the Cleveland Browns' coach in 2001 and went 24-35. He resigned in 2004 from the Browns and worked the past two seasons in broadcasting.

"The timing of my decision to consider coaching opportunities, and the opening at UNC seemed to intersect perfectly," Davis said. "**** Baddour made my introduction to Carolina happen in a well-planned, well-organized manner and did an outstanding job of presenting the virtues of UNC -- its people, its strong commitment to both academics and athletics, as well as the exciting, active part it plays in the community. Obviously, he succeeded."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press