• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

how does it benefit usf

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

as an FSU fan #2, I've always rooted for miami and UF to do well so it looked better when FSU played them.  now, in a down year such as this one, i dont care if UF and miami lose and in fact would rather them also look bad seeing as how recruiting might be less effected that way.  in most years, though, recruiting wont change so i go for any team that FSU (and now USF even more so) to do well unless I think it'll effect recruiting more than prestige of beating them (as in the case with UCF...i hope they lose every time...even though if they win none next year they'll get hype for winning a game...bah).  

just my opinion...I dont want teams we play to have a recruiting advantage but I want it to look good when we beat them....it's a tough time sometimes.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  869

I think how ever one feels about the situation, the Big East is doing better than many expected.  I can't say that I am not happy to see WV,  Ville, Rutgers, and Pitt getting some press.  Perhaps next year,  if some folks decide not to smoke, people will be talking about USF.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

WHY?  because those teams played a much harder schedule.texas played osu!

And they lost. End of discussion.  Who else did they play in non conference.  Was it any better than WVUs schedule.

This discussion is very simple.  Let me break it down for everyone.

1) You root for USF to win out, first and foremost.

2) If USF can't win out, root for either WVU or UL to be in NC game.  Why?

a) Because it will benefit the Big East for years to come.

B) So therefore, it will benefit USF for years to come.

c) And will solidify our position as one of the BCS power conferences.

Very simple.  Any questions...

wrong it is not end of discussion

teams get rewarded for playing tough OC games

texas is ranked 5th and plays  SOS # 48   wv #89th

if wv does well it helps usf!  trickle down effect?

you are diluting yourself into thinking if other big east teams do well it is good for  usf

usf needs to do well on its own

when wv does well it helps wv

i would love to be in recruit's home when leave tries to spin why usf benefits by being in 5th place in big east!

usf will still be a 5th place team if they dont turn it around next year because teams above them will benefit from great years

usf will just  continue to slip further behind like they did in their last year in cusa. see a pattern here?

i cant stomach to root for usf's rivals because it benefits them much much more.

recruiting is a big boy activity and you need ammunition to win.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

And they lost. End of discussion.  Who else did they play in non conference.  Was it any better than WVUs schedule.

For all the years that Temple was in the Big East, they were pretty much the perennial cellar dwellar.  How did they benefit being in the same conference when Miami, VT and BC were dominating the conference?

I still fail to see how rooting for the middle of the pack teams against OOC opponents that are competing for the same six wins to become bowl eligible like we are makes any sense.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

What have you done for me lately group need to look back one year.  BE does not deserve to be a BCS conference !  That was what was being said last year by the media and many other fans.  WV playing for a NC is good for the BE.  WV beating the SEC champ GA last year was good for the BE.  You want to be the best - play the best and having WV as NC you get to play the best.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

For all the years that Temple was in the Big East, they were pretty much the perennial cellar dwellar.  How did they benefit being in the same conference when Miami, VT and BC were dominating the conference?

I still fail to see how rooting for the middle of the pack teams against OOC opponents that are competing for the same six wins to become bowl eligible like we are makes any sense.

you could give example after example like above

What have you done for me lately group need to look back one year.  BE does not deserve to be a BCS conference !  That was what was being said last year by the media and many other fans.  WV playing for a NC is good for the BE.  WV beating the SEC champ GA last year was good for the BE.  You want to be the best - play the best and having WV as NC you get to play the best.

Anyone that said the BE didn't deserve to be a BCS conference was shortsighted.  Of course the first year or so without the three top teams from previous years was going to be a transitional time.   That's why the evaluation perod was set up to look at results over multiple years, nt just one year.  

The media's job is to entertain.  They only look at things in the present.  If you went by last year, they were all still laughing at Rutgers.  Now they can't speak enough about how awesome a job Schiano is doing and how they are the feel good story of college football.  They also said that the BE basketball set up would be a complete disaster and that was a great success last year.  In reality they need to be disregarded other than the fact that it gave them something to talk about last year.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

I've never met anyone who was a fan of any team in any conference that didn't root for their own conference mates to win games. Pretty much a given to root for (in order of preference) 1)your team then 2) your conference. And smazza every win your conference can pull out against non conference foes has the direct benefit of giving your team more respect when you play the teams within your conference. Just look at the respect the sec teams have and this is reflected in the polls.

Now, certainly it would make no sense whatsoever to actually root for your own team to lose but that is a completely different issue that hoping that the rest of the conference does well in all other games.

btw, if usc fans root against pac10 teams then they certainly shouldn't ***** if the pollsters rate them poorly due to perceived conference weakness. I've heard for years ******** about an "east coast bias" when it came to the polls, ever wonder why that was?

I've often wondered about the personifying myth that the SEC produces the best football.  Says who?  I was told that the SEC earns more dollars then any other conference in football, and they have a strong PR contract they maintain to keep the myths alive and well about their programs.

Look at the myths out there, hey Louisville's beating of Miami is rather impressive a 31-7 beat down at home.  Their other losses were nailbiters to Gtech, and FSU.  UL beat UK 59-21, UK is now 4-4 and only LSU beat them as handily.  UL beat KSU and now KSU is 5-4 and looking more and more like a bowl team.  If UF struggles mightily against UK, and UL blows them away then who's the person personifying the myth that UL couldn't be on the same field as UF?

Honestly, as it stands, and I watch a lot of college football (sat in the sports book at Atlantis this weekend on Saturday from 11AM until 7:30PM- wife wasn't happy) and there isn't a team out there I think UL and WVU couldn't run with and beat.    The two best other undefeated teams are OSU, and Michigan, and I watched Michigan struggle like crazy against NW!  I watched Indiana absolutely dismantle Michigan State, and Iowa in consecutive games they were beaten by Uconn.

WVU absolutely destroyed Maryland.  i mean a supreme arse kicking, Maryland is sitting 6-2 right now and looking more formidable each week.  I know this week Notre Dame wants Rutger's secrets about containing the Navy option....

You can go on, and on, and on but as I see it today WVU, and UL deserve to be in the top 5.   For now, we'll see where it ends up, but as of today they deserve to be there.

I always get a kick out of people talking about how one loss teams deserve to be ahead of WVU, and they say why is because of WVU's weak schedule.  Yet the next sentence you'll see that Auburn got knocked out of the top 10 by an unranked team, USC got knocked out of the top 10 by an unranked team.  

mentioning wv is a laugher.you need to look up something called strength of schedule.

one loss teams from pac 10,sec,big ten and texas deserve to be in NC over undefeated big east team

wv played eastern washinton

again all one needs to do is to look at strength of schedule.

wv hasnt played a ranked team yet!

wv/ul fans will be disappointed at end of season again.

you want national respect you need to play a top 15 schedule

usc already arkansas on road and destroyed them and beat a ranked nebraska team.when WV schedules like that they to will get  national respect

Here are what I see as the weak ooc teams the top 10 teams play this year:

ohio state plays northern illinois

michigan plays central michigan, ball state and vandy

wvu plays marshall, ecu and eastern washington

texas plays north texas, sam houston state and rice

louisville plays temple and middle tennessee state

auburn plays buffalo, tulane and arkansas state

florida plays UCF and western carolina

tennessee plays air force, marshall and memphis

usc...I'll give you this one, I don't see any

cal plays portland state

Seems to me that overall everyone has some pretty crappy ooc opponents and while usc does not that is an exception NOT the norm. So, I'm not quite sure where you are getting this logic on strength of ooc schedules and the eastern washington on the wvu schedule is just par for the course compared to the other top 10 ranked teams. The only thing that really sets the teams apart is the strength of conference play and that takes us back to the benefits of playing in a conference that is percieved as being strong.

Now, here is a question for you smazza. Others have mentioned the very real threat of the BE possibly losing it's automatic bcs bid due to the lack of quality teams. I ask you how it would benefit us if the BE teams all did poorly and the BCS tag get's ripped away from the BE and we end up as a mid major again.

uhhh, they lost and it was the only quality ooc team they played so where does that put them?

I've never met anyone who was a fan of any team in any conference that didn't root for their own conference mates to win games. Pretty much a given to root for (in order of preference) 1)your team then 2) your conference. And smazza every win your conference can pull out against non conference foes has the direct benefit of giving your team more respect when you play the teams within your conference. Just look at the respect the sec teams have and this is reflected in the polls.

Now, certainly it would make no sense whatsoever to actually root for your own team to lose but that is a completely different issue that hoping that the rest of the conference does well in all other games.

btw, if usc fans root against pac10 teams then they certainly shouldn't ***** if the pollsters rate them poorly due to perceived conference weakness. I've heard for years ******** about an "east coast bias" when it came to the polls, ever wonder why that was?

I've often wondered about the personifying myth that the SEC produces the best football.  Says who?  I was told that the SEC earns more dollars then any other conference in football, and they have a strong PR contract they maintain to keep the myths alive and well about their programs.

Look at the myths out there, hey Louisville's beating of Miami is rather impressive a 31-7 beat down at home.  Their other losses were nailbiters to Gtech, and FSU.  UL beat UK 59-21, UK is now 4-4 and only LSU beat them as handily.  UL beat KSU and now KSU is 5-4 and looking more and more like a bowl team.  If UF struggles mightily against UK, and UL blows them away then who's the person personifying the myth that UL couldn't be on the same field as UF?

Honestly, as it stands, and I watch a lot of college football (sat in the sports book at Atlantis this weekend on Saturday from 11AM until 7:30PM- wife wasn't happy) and there isn't a team out there I think UL and WVU couldn't run with and beat.    The two best other undefeated teams are OSU, and Michigan, and I watched Michigan struggle like crazy against NW!  I watched Indiana absolutely dismantle Michigan State, and Iowa in consecutive games they were beaten by Uconn.

WVU absolutely destroyed Maryland.  i mean a supreme arse kicking, Maryland is sitting 6-2 right now and looking more formidable each week.  I know this week Notre Dame wants Rutger's secrets about containing the Navy option....

You can go on, and on, and on but as I see it today WVU, and UL deserve to be in the top 5.   For now, we'll see where it ends up, but as of today they deserve to be there.

I always get a kick out of people talking about how one loss teams deserve to be ahead of WVU, and they say why is because of WVU's weak schedule.  Yet the next sentence you'll see that Auburn got knocked out of the top 10 by an unranked team, USC got knocked out of the top 10 by an unranked team.  

mentioning wv is a laugher.you need to look up something called strength of schedule.

one loss teams from pac 10,sec,big ten and texas deserve to be in NC over undefeated big east team

wv played eastern washinton

again all one needs to do is to look at strength of schedule.

wv hasnt played a ranked team yet!

wv/ul fans will be disappointed at end of season again.

you want national respect you need to play a top 15 schedule

usc already arkansas on road and destroyed them and beat a ranked nebraska team.when WV schedules like that they to will get  national respect

Here are what I see as the weak ooc teams the top 10 teams play this year:

ohio state plays northern illinois

michigan plays central michigan, ball state and vandy

wvu plays marshall, ecu and eastern washington

texas plays north texas, sam houston state and rice

louisville plays temple and middle tennessee state

auburn plays buffalo, tulane and arkansas state

florida plays UCF and western carolina

tennessee plays air force, marshall and memphis

usc...I'll give you this one, I don't see any

cal plays portland state

Seems to me that overall everyone has some pretty crappy ooc opponents and while usc does not that is an exception NOT the norm. So, I'm not quite sure where you are getting this logic on strength of ooc schedules and the eastern washington on the wvu schedule is just par for the course compared to the other top 10 ranked teams. The only thing that really sets the teams apart is the strength of conference play and that takes us back to the benefits of playing in a conference that is percieved as being strong.

Now, here is a question for you smazza. Others have mentioned the very real threat of the BE possibly losing it's automatic bcs bid due to the lack of quality teams. I ask you how it would benefit us if the BE teams all did poorly and the BCS tag get's ripped away from the BE and we end up as a mid major again.

uhhh, they lost and it was the only quality ooc team they played so where does that put them?

Losing the automatic bid was last year's chant.  I haven't heard that at all this year.  if anything it is because of the size of the conference.  We have 3 ranked teams, 2 in the top 5.  Another (Pitt)knocking on the door of a ranking.  USF and cinci are young and on the on the rise.  Even Syracuse is getting there.  The only team going the wrong way right now is UCONN and they have a good coach so I expect them to turn it around  soon.  They have only been D1 and a BCS  school 1 year longer than us.  As has been discussed with USF, let's wait a couple of years to see what happens with this conference once USF, Cinci, UL and UCONN have all gone through a full BCS level recruiting class.  Then let's see what the strength of the confence is from top to bottom.  It very will may end up being the most competitive conference in football because unlike other conferences, we all play each other every year.  In the mean time UL is strong this year and should be just as good next year.  WVU is great and still almost as young as we are.  Rutgers is ranked and will be very competitive next year.  We aren't far away and only lose 6 SRs (3 top contributors) and we've been recruiting well.  Pitt is getting votes and has had awesome recruiting classes.

No way we are losing the automatic bid anytime soon.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

Losing the automatic bid was last year's chant.  I haven't heard that at all this year.  if anything it is because of the size of the conference.  We have 3 ranked teams, 2 in the top 5.  Another (Pitt)knocking on the door of a ranking.  USF and cinci are young and on the on the rise.  Even Syracuse is getting there.  The only team going the wrong way right now is UCONN and they have a good coach so I expect them to turn it around  soon.  They have only been D1 and a BCS  school 1 year longer than us.  As has been discussed with USF, let's wait a couple of years to see what happens with this conference once USF, Cinci, UL and UCONN have all gone through a full BCS level recruiting class.  Then let's see what the strength of the confence is from top to bottom.  It very will may end up being the most competitive conference in football because unlike other conferences, we all play each other every year.  In the mean time UL is strong this year and should be just as good next year.  WVU is great and still almost as young as we are.  Rutgers is ranked and will be very competitive next year.  We aren't far away and only lose 6 SRs (3 top contributors) and we've been recruiting well.  Pitt is getting votes and has had awesome recruiting classes.

No way we are losing the automatic bid anytime soon.

Your right, and that is the direct result of teams stepping it up in the conference. If WVU, UL and Rutgers had all been average (at best) then losing the BCS mantra would not have been limited to last year. So it was a benefit to all of us in the BE for those teams to play well. Now of course we have progressed from not being worthy (as a conference) of the BCS to not being worthy of a national title shot no matter how well we do so that is the next barrier we have to break through. It benefits all the BE teams if the conference as a whole can consistently do well enough to continue to change the perception of the league as weak.