• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls b-b-b-brace for Cincinnati weather

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,667
  • Days Won:  29

Bulls b-b-b-brace for Cincinnati weather

By Compiled from Times staff, wires

Published October 20, 2006

TAMPA - There will be an extreme temperature change when the Bulls play at 8 p.m. Sunday. The forecast for Cincinnati is a low of 33 at night with a 30 percent chance of rain. It's been mostly in the high 80s here this week.

USF has not fared well in cold weather. Last season, the Bulls played at Connecticut, where it was 27 degrees, making them 0-1 in temperatures 40 or below. The Bulls are, however, 2-1 in temperatures 50 or below.

Some players are looking to improve in cold weather.

"They say we can't play in the cold," receiver Amarri Jackson said at Tuesday's media luncheon. "We want to go up there and prove we can play in the cold. There's not much else we can do here, where the weather is good, but practice and then bundle up (this weekend)."

But coach Jim Leavitt says it won't be the cold weather that beats the Bulls; it'll be either the team they play or not playing well.

"Cumberland (in 1997) was very cold. The double-overtime win against (East Carolina in 2003) was freezing," Leavitt said. "It doesn't matter what the temperature is; you better be able to play. I can't bring the cold air (to practice). I can't bring a cold locker down here. I mean, what alternative do I have? I'm not too concerned about it."

[highlight]USF WILL WIN !!![/highlight]

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

we should have won the uconn game

losing had nothing to do with the cold only playcalling.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

we should have won the uconn game

losing had nothing to do with the cold only playcalling.

The cold yeah it prolly didnt cause us to lose, but to say the play calling had no bearring is  :-?

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

the weather is an overrated stigma caused by years of a bad tampa bay bucs team always having to go up to green bay, chicago, etc and lose during the late 80s early 90s.

when the emotions of the game start going the temp really doesnt matter.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

the weather is an overrated stigma caused by years of a bad tampa bay bucs team always having to go up to green bay, chicago, etc and lose during the late 80s early 90s.

I disagree, college and pros are worlds apart. most college kids are from the state that their college is in, most of our kids are FL kids used to playing in the weather down here save some coillege games where they played in different enviornments.  The pros players come from different college and high school backgrounds that can make some players more ready to play in the cold than others.  The cold weather on the road will make a difference, if its a huge factor or not had made to be seen.    

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,667
  • Days Won:  29

I was listening/watching a game the other day, don't remember which. The announcer said that the kid was from Washington, but grew up in FL when they were talking speed, then as the heat got to him, the announcer said that he isn't use to the heat.

I find it funny when announcers use the FL thing . . .

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

yea we are from florida so we are fast  but cold weather is kyptonite

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Cold shouldn't be an issue with the type of Under Armour shirts and pads they wear these days.  Geez, I play softball in the 30s sometimes in shorts.  Once you start moving around, the body generates heat.  If they were in the teens it would be a different story, but I'm not buying the cold factor.  Rain will have more affect than the cold this weekend.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

I disagree, college and pros are worlds apart. most college kids are from the state that their college is in, most of our kids are FL kids used to playing in the weather down here save some coillege games where they played in different enviornments.  The pros players come from different college and high school backgrounds that can make some players more ready to play in the cold than others.  The cold weather on the road will make a difference, if its a huge factor or not had made to be seen.    

BS it's mental and once you start running around your body heats up...it's not like they are going to be playing in GB during January.

I don't recallMiami strugling with the cold when they played at WVU/RU/Pitt