• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

From BearcatLair.com

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

University of Cincinnati head football coach Mark Dantonio knows that their upcoming game against South Florida is a big one. Not just because it's on national television (ESPN) or because a win would put his team two wins away from bowl eligibility.

The game is big for the Bearcats because the usual conference doormat Bulls now have a defense that will challenge his young offense.

The defense has played big for the Bulls this season

"They've (USF) got great defense, great corners, great skills guys, an outstanding safety, two outstanding corners, and all three linebackers are back," Dantonio said about the Bulls defense.

While the USF defense is giving up 17 points per game, they do have players putting up big numbers this season. Junior defensive back Tre Williams leads the Big East in interceptions with five. Classmate Allen Cray is tied for second in the conference with four solo sacks this year. The Bulls also feature four players in the top-15 in the Big East in tackles.

South Florida also has a duel threat at quarterback who will test the Dantonio's stout defense in redshirt freshman Matt Grothe who is second in the conference in passing throwing for nearly 200 yards a game and also rushes for 65.7 ypg. Grothe also leads the Big East in total offense leading the Bulls with a combined 264 ypg.

"Offensively, they've got a quarterback that makes things go. He's a runner and thrower," Dantonio said.

Dantonio has great respect for the former conference punching bags that are the South Florida Bulls.

"They are a very well-coached team. Jim Leavitt does an outstanding job. They beat North Carolina last week. They are a 5-2 football team. As I've said every week, they will be a challenge for us, and we'll need to play well," Dantonio said of the upcoming opponent.

The head coach is also concerned about his team having a let down after having played such a tough schedule thus far. Dantonio is concerned that the Bearcats may suffer from a hang over after nearly defeating the No. 7 ranked team in Louisville.

"The biggest thing for us is to get past the Louisville thing and move on. We'll be doing that today (in practice)," Dantonio said on Tuesday.

The Bearcats do have some recent history with letdowns against normally lesser teams having only beaten a bad Akron team by six after an emotional win over rival Miami (OH).

However, Dantonio seems determined not to let this happen to his team this time. "It's a huge game for us. We're 3-4 right now, and we need to get to 4-4 before we can talk about anything else. USF comes in here, it's an ESPN nationally televised game, and it's on our home field. We should play well on our home field," Dantonio said.

The Bearcats will square off with USF on Sunday at 8 p.m. as part of ESPN's Sunday Night Showdown at Nippert Stadium.

WTF!?  We were never conference punching bags!!

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

"The game is big for the Bearcats because the usual conference doormat Bulls now have a defense that will challenge his young offense. "

Where the hell did that come from????

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

****!!!  That's a harsh and irational quote!

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078

Maybe he bought into the "new Temple of the Big East" thing.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Whatever, they can think that way. So long as we beat them we'll be fine.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078

Yeah, besides if my memory is correct, isn't USF 2-1 against them, or do they only count the games played in Ohio up there. :D

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

If we're the doormats / punching bags, then why are they only 1-2 against us all time? What does that make them?

Cincy is turning out to be the disappointment of the three new BE teams.  Hopefully, we'll keep them in that role for at least one more year!

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867

Maybe he's thinking basketball... :)

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah, besides if my memory is correct, isn't USF 2-1 against them, or do they only count the games played in Ohio up there. :D

Yeah, we're 2-1 against them.