• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt May Make Some Changes For Cinci (Trib)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459
  • Days Won:  0

I just disagree with these statements. CJL makes a minor comment about some changes in who will start-- not play a whole game-- but start-- and even in the face of KNOWN projected starters coming back, we make some waves about a particular player not being good enough. Based on what? Danny played as well as any other starter out there.

Let's not jump to conclusions and throw guys under the bus who are busting their ass for this team. I'm fairly confident this isn't about loyalty and basically about who can help us win games. That loyalty comment was smazza's idea when it came to PJ -- well-- CJL did mention that to some extent-- but his plan was to start PJ in the first half and then put in MG in the second-- OK-- he leaned toward a player on that basis. That's a senior, not a RS Freshman-- his clout can't be that good. Maybe it is but to suggest as much seems inappropriate. I hope that's not what you guys are doing.

I'm not sure you can call it a "we".  I think it was just me and Cyber.  You could probably call it a "them."  

Listen, it is just my opinion.  If I look across the USF defense I see very few weak points.  The one  area for improvement I see (other than possibly just a little more out of the entire DL) is Strong Safety.  That's not to say throw Danny out with the bathwater...I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a change there.

MikeG, you said it right here:

"I'm fairly confident this isn't about loyalty and basically about who can help us win games. "

Exactly.  If there is somebody that plays his way into the position (or out of it) you put him in.  

Benzer is sitting on the sideline for a reason.  If Danny or any player out there gets replaced at starter at this juncture you can be confident it is for a reason.  Either somebody showed more in practice/game or somebody didn't show enough in the practice/game.

Again, my opinion.  If you don't like it -- that's cool.  It doesn't have to be your opinion.   Also, nobody is getting thrown under any bus.  It is a couple of fans analyzing the starting lineup.  That's it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459

to build on what 'Freak wrote, we have a lot of young talent on this team that should get an opportunity to play if they are they are better players. Loyalty is important but so is the idea of ongoing competition. I think DV is a great safety in supporting the run b/c he can deliver a blow just like his brother, but tends to get lost sometimes in coverage. Not a rip but an observation. Same as mike jenkins....I love the kid but he is not perfect.

Just read this now and see what MikeG was replying to.  I'm not sure I agree either.  I think the coaches are at the point now where they'll put the best guy on the field.  I think maybe a year or two ago they were trying to teach lessons and reward the hardest work.  Now I think it is about that plus talent and results.

7 games into the season with a actual shot at the Big East title they'll put the guys in that will give them the best chance of winning.  I have no doubt about that.  

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I just disagree with these statements. CJL makes a minor comment about some changes in who will start-- not play a whole game-- but start-- and even in the face of KNOWN projected starters coming back, we make some waves about a particular player not being good enough. Based on what? Danny played as well as any other starter out there.

Let's not jump to conclusions and throw guys under the bus who are busting their ass for this team. I'm fairly confident this isn't about loyalty and basically about who can help us win games. That loyalty comment was smazza's idea when it came to PJ -- well-- CJL did mention that to some extent-- but his plan was to start PJ in the first half and then put in MG in the second-- OK-- he leaned toward a player on that basis. That's a senior, not a RS Freshman-- his clout can't be that good. Maybe it is but to suggest as much seems inappropriate. I hope that's not what you guys are doing.

I'm not sure you can call it a "we".  I think it was just me and Cyber.  You could probably call it a "them."  

Listen, it is just my opinion.  If I look across the USF defense I see very few weak points.  The one  area for improvement I see (other than possibly just a little more out of the entire DL) is Strong Safety.  That's not to say throw Danny out with the bathwater...I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a change there.

MikeG, you said it right here:

"I'm fairly confident this isn't about loyalty and basically about who can help us win games. "

Exactly.  If there is somebody that plays his way into the position (or out of it) you put him in.  

Benzer is sitting on the sideline for a reason.  If Danny or any player out there gets replaced at starter at this juncture you can be confident it is for a reason.  Either somebody showed more in practice/game or somebody didn't show enough in the practice/game.

Again, my opinion.  If you don't like it -- that's cool.  It doesn't have to be your opinion.   Also, nobody is getting thrown under any bus.  It is a couple of fans analyzing the starting lineup.  That's it.

I agree with this and i have faced the same kind of criticisms when i talk bout Danny and the way he can get lost in coverage and be a liability back there at times.  We are getting to the point in the schedule where we need people who can be solid in coverage because when we face Palko in 2 weeks and UL after that if we have a break down in coverage Brohm and Palko will not under or overthrow their WR to bail us out like i have seen the other QB's we have played do so far.  I played a SS/Rover poition in a cover 2 defense for 4 years (and another 2 in a base cover 4) so that is usually the position i watch when we are on D because i know the responsibities in cover two pretty well.  Danny has a tendency to make is fist movement forward twoards the LOS because he wants to be so active in stopping the run this really hurts him in staying over the top of the receivers on his deep 1/2 of the secondary.  He also appeears to have the best way i can describe it as brain farts where he is VERY slow to react and you can almost seem struggling to diagnose the play and doesnt make a movement twoards the LOS or to his back peddal.  He looks like he is still struggling with experience issues in diagnosing what is happening on the field.  This is something alot of young players tend to have but usually out grow as they gain more and more experience and see more plays as their carrer porgresses.  I think he has talent to be a solid player for us but hes just not there yet as far as being seasoned and playing without having to think but rather reading his keys and reacting.  Experience and repitition will help to fix this problem but if we have a better option in pass coverage i think its time to make a switch.    

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  68

Funny topic.  In case many of you haven't notice DV is a Free Safety not a SS any more.  On top of that he has not start since game 2 or 3 not really sure.  I know both of the brothers well, and played with Kevin. Some comments made on here are pretty funny.  For you so called die hard fans you dont pay much attention.  I would have to say SS is probably our most solid of the two Safety spots.  Burnett is having a hell of a year and doing a great job for us.  At FS Carlton Williams has started the last 5 games or so and has not done much, Just as DV has looked out of place and lost the so has Carlton. IMO I think the last 2 games with UNC and CINCY both Burnett and DV have looked really well however DV rarely plays much anymore and I am not sure why he looked good last night and Burnett seems to be all over the field yet he is taken out so much.  I dont understand it seems as if in key points durning the game he is out.  To me on that I have to question the safeties coach.  Why is he coming off the field and if DV is playing bettter then Williams why is he not playing more?