• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt May Make Some Changes For Cinci (Trib)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

Leavitt May Make Some Changes For Cincinnati

Published: Oct 18, 2006

TAMPA - There may be a couple of changes in the University of South Florida's starting lineup when the Bulls visit Cincinnati Sunday.

"Probably at one or two positions, but it matters how practice goes," Coach Jim Leavitt said.

Leavitt wouldn't indicate which positions the Bulls may use different starters than they had at North Carolina last week.

OG Jake Griffin, who broke his foot against UCF Sept. 16, will make the trip to Cincinnati, but Leavitt said it's a "long shot" the Armwood graduate would play.

Brett McMurphy

Would expect Jumiste to be one of the starting position to change.

Having Griffin rest with a bi-week should get him seriously closer to 100% for HomeComing.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah ... the obvious.

Of course.

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

maybe a change at safety is in order....

too many blown coverages back there for my liking.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  31
  • Days Won:  0

Sunday can't come here fast enough!

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459

maybe a change at safety is in order....

too many blown coverages back there for my liking.

Not to pile on because both of these guys have been real committed to the program, but I've never been a huge Verpaele(s) fan.  Kevin never seemed to be in the right spot and Danny sort of continues that.  His poor tackling only compounds the problem.  

I'd agree with Cyber.  We're probably looking at a change at RB and SS.   DT possibly as well.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

If Ponton starts we may not need to come from behind like we did angainst UNC.  Although we still demolished UNC I was worried untill we got the second TD.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  24

Easy on the Verpaele(s). I know both well on and off the field. Kevin was a true leader and did what ever you asked of him. He could read an offense inside and out and even would play QB for the scout team when we played teams like Bowling Green when Harris was there and Kevin was a starter for our team. He may have not been the most gifted athlete in the speed part, but he made up for it in so many way. Danny is almost a CC of his brother as well. He is younger, but he still has that element of reading offenses. We are an aggresive defense and that can be in your favor, but it can cause you to get beat on trip plays as well as the long ball.

Also, who would we put there instead.

The Verpaele's remind me of the Jay Mize type of Safety.

Good Safeties that want to dislocate your head from your body from a serious hit ...

Will never 4get one (if not) the last hit Mize ever delivered. Glad it was on the 10 Year DVD (Speaking of which - gotsta wactch it again). He nailed the guy and you saw immediately his arm drop and was probably numb.

And I hear remarks against our DB's, these guys have done a real good job ... and we'll see if great the remainder of the season.

We have had 217 pas attempts against us ... 46 have been Defensed, over 21% ! Opponents have only completed 51% and not all passes can be defensed.

Just some positive FACTS !  8-)

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459

Easy on the Verpaele(s). I know both well on and off the field. Kevin was a true leader and did what ever you asked of him. He could read an offense inside and out and even would play QB for the scout team when we played teams like Bowling Green when Harris was there and Kevin was a starter for our team. He may have not been the most gifted athlete in the speed part, but he made up for it in so many way. Danny is almost a CC of his brother as well. He is younger, but he still has that element of reading offenses. We are an aggresive defense and that can be in your favor, but it can cause you to get beat on trip plays as well as the long ball.

Also, who would we put there instead.

Merely my opinion.  If we see a change out there this Sunday I suppose we'll know.

I have nothing against either of these guys -- as I mentioned both were right on board with Leavitt from Day 1 of their recruitment.  Loyalty is very important and both have committed to this program before, during and after they left.  Kevin came back as a GA and they are great ambassadors to this program.  110% effort as well.  That can't be underestimated.  

It isn't a rip on them, but I imagine it is more important at game time to put your best player out there.  Julmiste is a great guy too and very loyal, but do we want him out there over Grothe?  I'm just saying you go with your best option and, at this point, we may have better options at SS.