• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grutza / Grothe matchup

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

You could say that Grutza is "Matt Light."  Grutza's 2nd year of starting, and Matt's first, and Matt's numbers are heads and tails better, albeit the comp was a bit better, but they've played some really bad teams like 1-6 Miami of Ohio, and 2-5 Akron, and 1-6 1-AA Eastern Kentucky, but in none of those games did Cinci's offense destroy an opponent.

31-0- but it was only 14-0 at the half, and UC scored 10pts in the 4th quarter.

20-14 over Akron

24-10 over Miami of Ohio..

Their offense is not real prolific, they've had trouble finding the end zone.  Again, they've got two big TE's, and BIG RB's, and a mobile QB, but all together their offense struggles.   Grutza's the kind of passer that's not going to heave it down the field, he'll get yards throwing the dumps or scramble for yards so Cinci's stats and pads always look better than reality.

In fact, I think UNC is better than Cinci right now possibly.  Cinci had a tough first half schedule but not comparable to UNC's- Rutgers, Vtech, Clemson, and Miami....I am sure UNC would have loved to substitute Miami, and Rutgers for MIami of Ohio, and Akron--my guess their records would be similar.  The stats already are.

Bien, Lets just ignore the fact that Cincy has played Pitt, Louisville, Va Tech, and #1 Ohio State...not comparable to UNC's is an incorrect statement...Those 4 teams are in the top 20 defenses in the country.

I agree comparing Grothe to Gruza is leaves at the fact that they are white and mobile. Grothe is more of a big play QB, while Gruza works it down the field on shorter passes (as Bien stated).

However, Gruza has the potential to be a very good QB and I don't expect him to have a terrible week. Had Grothe played the schedule that Gruza had to endure we'd probably see numbers looking bad from him.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

You could say that Grutza is "Matt Light."  Grutza's 2nd year of starting, and Matt's first, and Matt's numbers are heads and tails better, albeit the comp was a bit better, but they've played some really bad teams like 1-6 Miami of Ohio, and 2-5 Akron, and 1-6 1-AA Eastern Kentucky, but in none of those games did Cinci's offense destroy an opponent.

31-0- but it was only 14-0 at the half, and UC scored 10pts in the 4th quarter.

20-14 over Akron

24-10 over Miami of Ohio..

Their offense is not real prolific, they've had trouble finding the end zone.  Again, they've got two big TE's, and BIG RB's, and a mobile QB, but all together their offense struggles.   Grutza's the kind of passer that's not going to heave it down the field, he'll get yards throwing the dumps or scramble for yards so Cinci's stats and pads always look better than reality.

In fact, I think UNC is better than Cinci right now possibly.  Cinci had a tough first half schedule but not comparable to UNC's- Rutgers, Vtech, Clemson, and Miami....I am sure UNC would have loved to substitute Miami, and Rutgers for MIami of Ohio, and Akron--my guess their records would be similar.  The stats already are.

Bien, Lets just ignore the fact that Cincy has played Pitt, Louisville, Va Tech, and #1 Ohio State...not comparable to UNC's is an incorrect statement...Those 4 teams are in the top 20 defenses in the country.

I agree comparing Grothe to Gruza is leaves at the fact that they are white and mobile. Grothe is more of a big play QB, while Gruza works it down the field on shorter passes (as Bien stated).

However, Gruza has the potential to be a very good QB and I don't expect him to have a terrible week. Had Grothe played the schedule that Gruza had to endure we'd probably see numbers looking bad from him.

Yes Sir Joe, OK Mr. Know it all...

First, let's not put aside UC's schedule, and you are being ignorant and argumentative t if you believe comparing to UNC's schedule thus far of Clemson, Vtech, Miami of FL, and Rutgers is not at least as tough if not tougher than UC's thus far, furthermore UNC did play the tougher defenses, see the NCAA link on total defensive stats below.  Also, why act like Mr. Know-it-all again when you clearly don't have your facts straight, since Pitt, UL, and OSU do not have top 20 defenses, BUT Clemson, Rutgers, and Miami of FL have TOP 5 Defenses.  That's right, the average total defense ranking of UNC's 1-A opponents is 10.6, it's only that high because the 34th ranked USF defense dropped their stats- EVERY SINGLE UNC opponent other than USF had top 10 defenses.  Whereas UC's 1-A opponents total defensive ranking avearged 35.7, and they had ONE top 10 defense they faced- Vtech, which coincidentally UNC faced as well.

How about spelling the kid's name right first before comparing them.  Grutza is a hard nosed kid and decent QB, but he's not a terribly good QB, and he isn't as good as Grothe going vertical down the field since Grutza has thrown four passes for 29 yards or more while Grothe has thrown 11, and USF as a team 13 if you include the two receiver throws.  Grutza's offense at Cinci is more of an I-Formation, power running attack which isn't conducive for him to gain tons of yards on the ground like our spread option run similar to UF, and Texas with Young, but he's decent at making people miss, and is a very hard-nosed player.  He started all last year as a RS-FR, and has a full year ahead of Grothe though, yet Grothe looks better.  HOWEVER, to give some props to Grutza, he doesn't have the weapons around him at receiver, or the system that Grothe has.

I wouldn't be so obnoxious if you wouldn't try your condescending attitude with me when you were wrong.  You can give some semantical argument about why one team is better, but as the NCAA goes UNC's schedule is clearly tougher from an opponent's defense standpoint which is what you compared.  If you allowed UNC the opportunity to sub Miami of OH for Miami of FL, and Akron for Rutgers I can guarantee you UNC would have three wins too, with an identical record.  

Look at the offenses the run, look at the talent they possess, look at their offensive and defensive stats and you will find Cinci, and UNC are very similar teams.  UNC has far more talent, while Cinci has more heart.  The latter always scares me more, particularly when Cinci has enough talent to keep things interesting.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&rpt=IA_teamtotdef&site=org

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Hello Pot, Meet Kettle!

Bien, do you just ignore what I read? Seriously, you could have saved yourself about 10 minutes of typing.

I never said UNC's schedule wasn't tough, in fact I've been a proponent on how tough it was (read my posts last week)

What I was saying was that to say Cincy's schedule is "not even comparable" is incorrect. They have faced some pretty hard teams themselves and it is comparable. Cincy just has played 1 extra game then UNC and it was against another easy opponent.

Another thing...all four of the teams I mentioned Cincy playing do have top 20 defenses.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/stats/2006/divia/team/scoring_defense_byDFNS_POINTS_PER_GAME.html

Finally, Did you read where I said Grutza isn't a big play QB whereas Grothe is?

Bien, I'm gonna say what many feel on here and the Rivals board. You're the know it all that loves to name drop and correct everyone. When I am wrong I admit it (see the UL/FAU attendance thread in the State of Florida forum), however, you feel the need to not only let someone (anyone) know how wrong they are and how much more you know than them.

Perfect example:

But comparing Grutza to Grothe is crazy.

becomes

You could say that Grutza is "Matt Light."