• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Courant:  Key Matchups

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,007
  • Days Won:  469

2t_logo.gif

KEY MATCHUPS

October 7, 2006

UConn DE Cody Brown vs. South Florida QB Matt Grothe

Getting some early hits on Grothe, USF's leading rusher, will be a goal of the UConn defense, which couldn't stop Navy QB Brian Hampton (182 rushing yards) last Saturday.

UConn RB Lou Allen vs. South Florida LBs Stephen Nicholas and Ben Moffitt

Allen proved a hard man for the USF defense to catch last year when he had 101 yards against the Bulls at Rentschler Field, including a 60-yard touchdown on the third play.

Injury Report

UCONN: DE Jason Ward (foot), LB Donta Moore (broken arm) probable.

SOUTH FLORIDA: None reported.

Series History

South Florida, 2-1 Last meeting: UConn won 15-10 at Rentschler Field last November, ending the Bulls' hopes of being the Big East's BCS bowl representative.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,587
  • Days Won:  29

Their #1 goal is to stop GrothE ... and I expect GrothE to take on that challenge and beat them with the rest of our 11 BULLS !

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

2t_logo.gif

KEY MATCHUPS

October 7, 2006

UConn DE Cody Brown vs. South Florida QB Matt Grothe

Getting some early hits on Grothe, USF's leading rusher, will be a goal of the UConn defense, which couldn't stop Navy QB Brian Hampton (182 rushing yards) last Saturday.

UConn RB Lou Allen vs. South Florida LBs Stephen Nicholas and Ben Moffitt

Allen proved a hard man for the USF defense to catch last year when he had 101 yards against the Bulls at Rentschler Field, including a 60-yard touchdown on the third play.

Injury Report

UCONN: DE Jason Ward (foot), LB Donta Moore (broken arm) probable.

SOUTH FLORIDA: None reported.

Series History

South Florida, 2-1 Last meeting: UConn won 15-10 at Rentschler Field last November, ending the Bulls' hopes of being the Big East's BCS bowl representative.

I though we we're playing like 3rd or 4th string D-line...?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

My question is if UCONN puts the pressure and blitzes Grothe, how will Smith Adjust the offense?  That's always my question about him.  For that matter, it will be very interesting to see how we game plan against them on offense.  navey tore them up big time last week against the option.  Do we try to change things up a bit and for once try to not just run our backs up the middle?  I'd like to see grothe run the option a bit and throw some option tosses to Dorsey to use the speed.  if we establish the run at all, With his ball handling and faking ability, Grothe can eat their defense alive.  he's a fantastic ball faker.  Maybe the best I've seen.  if we can establsih the run at all, Matt can have a big day both ways (run and pass).  Someone please remind Rod that Amarri is 6'5" and  all the DBs for UCONN are 6'0  and smaller.  We also have Hill and Green at 6'3" each.

Lou Allen doesn't scare me, but Caulley does a little bit.  he's their all time leading runner.

6th game.  Enough time for both lines and the young guys to gel and be comfortable now.