• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rutgers - Onside Kick Observation

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  308
  • Days Won:  0

<bragging section>Maybe some of you heard me discuss this on the post game call in show on 970</bragging section>

When we set up for that fateful onside kick to end the game - did anybody else see what I saw?  When I looked at Rutgers' set I was almost shocked at the glaring oversite!

We lined up with all of our speed on the left side: Amari, Jenkins, etc. -- amazed at the opportunity I saw I turned to my neighbor and asked, "Do you see what I see?"  "Yes!" he replied.

Rutgers had NOBODY back for the kickoff.  Nobody.  There were maybe two guys who were 5 or so yards off the line and those two were over on the "weak" side.  They were wide open for exploitation.   There was a clear opportunity for an amazing play.  

Our speedsters on the left would have a running start.  The players across from them would have their backs to their side of the field.  Our guys could have run full speed and surprised the Rutgers guys by running past them and leaving them flat footed.  Our kicker could have kicked a somewhat soft end over end ball right in the middle of the field to the twenty yard line or so (making darn sure not to kick it through the end zone) and the ball would be ours to pounce on deep in their territory.  I don't think a recoverd kickoff can be advanced, but in this scenario we could, almost uncontested, just recover and down the ball way down field andclose enough for a realatively short field goal attempt or even for a quick pass into the end zone after which we could kick if needed.

The guys on the radio said that someone in the booth noticed this too and they were all very surprised.  Why didn't our guys up top see this opportunity and get word to the field?  They showed this set both before the time out and then on the actual kick - there was plenty of time to get word to the field and put a plan into action.

Anyone else see this?  Any comments?   :o

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Yeah I saw it.

Did our "Special teams coach" see it?

Evidently NOT! :'(

Guest R_to_the_izzo

I saw that too. However, the football takes a crazy bounce. Even a perfect kick could hit the field wrong and go spiraling to the sideline (just look at punts).

With the new clock rules, that play woulda have easily taken 6-8 seconds off the clock. So you gotta kick it, have it stay in the field of play, recover it, and get your team out to spike the ball. Just too many things need to go your way, even more so than the regular onside kick.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

I saw it and thought the same thing....oh well.

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  308

I saw that too. However, the football takes a crazy bounce. .

Even with one of our kickers I think that if you kicked it from a tee to the middle of the field that it would stay in bounds.  The biggest risk I see is kicking it too far and through the end zone.  Note that our guys would be in the vicinity very quickly to grab a bouncing ball.

I do agree with you on the time concern.  However, if a play like that worked we'd have a field goal opportunity deep in their territory and possibly close to the middle of the field.

With that set I'd take this opportunity any day.

Guest R_to_the_izzo

Another thing, the kicker is a righty, so for the onside he is clearly kicking the ball to that side. So for him to kick it down field he would have to A) Kick it lefty, or B) Run back around the ball to kick it deep, giving RU time to get a guy back there.

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

The last thing to consider is a play like that takes coordination. Its easy to Monday Morning the situation but at the time we had a play called everyone was in formation and by the time Rutgers lined up it was too late. We didnt have any more timeouts to call and coordinate the play and trying to call an audible to a play that hasnt been pre-arranged is not ony impossible but stupid!

If we had a time out, maybe. But even then as some pointed out, the clock starts on the kick, that play would take 8-10 seconds now we have to get the entire offense on the field, spike the ball 2-3 seconds and try a field goal. That only happens if everything works perfectly.