• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

rutgers news

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

someone needs to tell that writer that Ean is not a freshman wideout

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

maybe they will have plane trouble like Louisville last year! ::)

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

WRs well prepared to fill void at Rutgers

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

BY TOM LUICCI

Star-Ledger Staff

Back in the summer, when it looked as if Rutgers was set at wide receiver with Shawn Tucker, veteran Marcus Daniels and promising Keith Taylor heading the position, Tiquan Underwood and Dennis Campbell weren't sure exactly how or where they fit in.

But they wanted to be ready just in case, wanted to be in synch with quarterback Mike Teel, even if that meant interrupting head coach Greg Schiano in the middle of his vacation -- which they did once.

Advertisement

»  View Coupon Details

The three of them had spent so much time working on pass patterns one day that it grew dark before they realized it. But they weren't done. So they called Schiano on his cell to see if he could find someone to let them into the Bubble, the team's indoor practice facility, where they could continue under the lights.

"Someone gave us the key and we were there another two hours," said Underwood, a sophomore from Lawrenceville.

That's part of the reason why, with a glaring void at wide receiver now because of a fractured ankle suffered by Tucker last week, Underwood and Campbell feel they're ready to step in.

And up.

Rutgers, 4-0 and in the national rankings (at No. 23) for the first time in 30 years, will need them to do both in Friday night's Big East opener at South Florida.

Tucker, Rutgers' best receiver, may not return until the final two games -- if at all. That means 36 of the 41 career starts at wide receiver that the Knights had on their active roster last week will be on the sideline for at least two months. Daniels (groin) and Taylor (shoulder) were already out for the year with injuries.

"He was the guy you knew if it was third and 13 that he would make the big catch," Campbell said of Tucker. "That's what we're going to miss the most."

Tucker's absence casts even more uncertainty over a passing game that has been uneven at best so far. Senior Willie Foster and Underwood are listed as the starters for Friday, with Campbell, a redshirt freshman, and James Townsend the backups. Behind them are true freshmen Tim Brown and Kenny Britt.

"I'm sure we'll make a few more mistakes with some young guys in there (at wide receiver). You've got to be prepared to live with that," Schiano said. "On the flip side, they're very talented guys who can make things happen."

Foster, last season's Big East Special Teams Player of the Year, made his first career start last Saturday against Howard -- but still doesn't have a catch this season. Campbell and Underwood, both with big-play potential, have combined for 10 catches this year (but no touchdowns). Townsend and Britt haven't caught a pass yet through four games while Brown, the fastest player Rutgers has ever had, has one.

Advertisement

That's a total of 11 catches through four games by the six healthy wideouts Rutgers now has.

"Tuck was a big key to our team," said Foster. "It's going to have to be a collective thing trying to replace him. We'll push on. We have to. But I like the guys we have. The young guys are very mature. They're almost like seniors."

Campbell said he is ready for whatever expanded role Schiano and his staff have in store for him.

"We have some young guys, but we have some talented guys," said Campbell. "Maybe it's our turn faster than we than we expected, but it's our turn now with Tuck out."

Underwood said Tucker, one of Rutgers' four captains, "was like a father figure and a brother figure to me on and off the field."

"It's hard because I have mixed emotions," said Underwood. "I feel for Tuck because we were so close and it's his senior year. He was a mentor for me.

"On the other side, I'm happy I'll be in there. We just have to try to make Tuck happy with our performance."

Rice added to Heisman promo

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

BY TOM LUICCI

Star-Ledger Staff

Ray Rice has met a Heisman Trophy winner before. But until yesterday, Rutgers' sophomore running back never thought of himself as being a candidate for college football's most prestigious individual award.

That changed when Rutgers began sending out a color flyer promoting senior Brian Leonard on one side and Rice on the other, trumpeting both as Heisman candidates.

Advertisement

Rice, the Big East's rushing leader, got his first glimpse of the new flyer -- which originally highlighted Leonard's accomplishments on both sides -- after practice yesterday, calling it "neat."

"It doesn't put a lot of pressure on me because I have Brian right along with me," Rice said. "You've got to stay focused on what you're doing. If you get caught up in all this stuff it can easily distract you. That won't be the case here."

Rice, who has rushed for 604 yards and nine TDs through Rutgers' 4-0 start, attended the Heisman high school dinner as a senior at New Rochelle (N.Y.) High. He met Heisman winner Matt Leinart then, posing for a picture with the USC quarterback and the Heisman Trophy.

Just 16 games into his college career, Rice has become a legitimate candidate for the award thanks to nine 100-yard rushing games -- including six straight, one shy of the Rutgers record.

"It's weird because it feels like I just got out of high school and I met the Heisman Trophy winner," said Rice.

If Rice keeps up his torrid pace -- he is fourth nationally in rushing at an average of 151 yards per game -- Rutgers officials will step up their promotional efforts. One possibility is the school will mail out packets of rice to Heisman voters, which would be a gimmick similar to what Washington State did with QB Ryan Leaf in 1997. The school sent out a leaf -- nothing more -- in envelopes to Heisman voters.

Reserve defensive back Robert Baham couldn't have picked a better time than last week to make his college debut after being idle for almost 2 1/2 years. Getting in against Howard -- and recording two tackles -- means the third-year sophomore could see some time when Rutgers plays at South Florida on Friday night.

Baham is from Tampa, which is where USF is located.

"I've been here three years and it has been a long time coming," Baham said of his first college action.

The 6-foot, 190-pounder redshirted as a freshman, then missed all of last season with a hip injury. The lingering effects of that injury sidelined him for the first three games this season.

A crew from ESPN's GameDay will shoot a segment on Rutgers that is expected to air on Saturday. Plans call for head coach Greg Schiano to be miked during practice either today or tomorrow, or immediately after the South Florida game on Friday night.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719
  • Days Won:  0

1. Rutgers' passing game is still shaky

Can the Knights trust QB Mike Teel to come through in a big spot on the road during the next three games? Right now, the answer is no. Teel followed his 6-for-16, three-interception performance against Ohio with another uneven performance (9-for-16 for 133 yards with one TD pass and another interception). Head coach Greg Schiano can rave all he wants about Teel's ability to go to the right checks and "manage" the offense, but at some point a quarterback has to offer the threat of a consistent passing game. Teel hasn't done that yet. [highlight]The third-year sophomore now has a 4-to-15 touchdown-to-interception ratio for his career.

[/highlight]

hopefully with this pitiful passing attack and Tucker hurt, we can stack the line of scrimmage and contain the running game and win this one.  

we will see how good our corners really are

Rutgers Notebook: Personnel losses alter South Florida's look

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

BY TOM LUICCI

Star-Ledger Staff

The South Florida team Rutgers will face on Friday night isn't anything like the one the Knights thought they might be meeting when the season first began.

RB Ricky Ponton, WR Jackie Chambers and DE Josh Julmiste -- all projected starters for the Bulls -- will be serving the fifth game of their six-game suspensions for a second failed drug test, according to the Tampa Tribune. Running back Moise Plancher, tapped to take over for Ponton, was lost for the season to a torn anterior cruciate ligament. And QB Pat Julmiste has been replaced by redshirt freshman Matt Grothe.

Advertisement

USF hasn't really felt the impact of those personnel losses -- or those in a freshman class that saw nine players fail to qualify academically and two quit -- because of a soft early schedule. That changes when No. 23 Rutgers visits.

"We're a very young football team," Bulls coach Jim Leavitt said. "You're looking at next year or the year after (for success). We probably have about four seniors starting on the whole (lineup). We have a lot of awfully good players playing for the first time in college football.

"I've been real happy with how hard they're playing. And they're competing. I'm happy about that."

One area where the youth might be having an impact is turnovers. USF is tied for last in the Big East with Cincinnati in turnover margin, having committed a league-leading 10.

One of the advantages to being Brian Leonard's teammate as a defensive player is that you don't have to worry about being embarrassed by the Leonard Leap. At least not with people watching.

Leonard created another hurdling highlight when he jumped over an unsuspecting safety from Howard last week, leaving him grasping at air as the Knights' star running back headed downfield.

Cornerback Derrick Roberson said he would "probably wrap and roll" Leonard if he had to tackle him in the open field.

"If you're an opposing player and you watch film you can see the guy is a leaper," said Roberson. "So the first thing a defensive back is going to say is 'He's not going to leap me.' Then when it happens, it's like 'Oh, man, he got me.' It's not so much an embarrassment; it's more like you're another victim."

Rutgers coach Greg Schiano on what he said to the team about the increased media attention and the scrutiny that being ranked for the first time in 30 years brings:

"We just talked about it (and said), 'Hey guys, it's this simple: If you go down to South Florida and lose, you're not going to be in the Top 25 and there are not going to be all of those cell phone calls. So if you really like it, don't let it distract you, because it will go away very quickly if you don't take care of business.'"

Rutgers' defense has its hands full with dynamic QB

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

BY TOM LUICCI

Star-Ledger Staff

Derrick Roberson closes his eyes now and sees No. 8s everywhere. They're in his thoughts constantly, in his head before he sleeps, then staring back at him as soon as he opens his eyes and wakes up.

Watching as much film as the Rutgers cornerback has on South Florida's offense in preparation for Friday night's Big East opener between the teams will do that to a player.

Advertisement

No. 8 -- the jersey worn by Bulls redshirt freshman quarterback Matt Grothe -- seems to be everywhere on film when USF has the ball. It makes sense that he's the team's leading passer. But he's also the Bulls' leading rusher with 279 yards and has been responsible for 65.5 percent of his team's plays (169 of 258) through four games.

In contrast, Rutgers quarterback Mike Teel has been responsible for 32.4 percent (81 of 250) of his team's plays.

"On film, it seems like he has the ball every down," Roberson said of Grothe. "You have to keep it in mind that he has the most carries on their team, too. He's like another running back."

But he also has the ability to be effective throwing. Grothe has completed 59.6 percent of his passes for 843 yards and six touchdowns.

That makes him perhaps the most unique challenge to date for a Rutgers defense that has been nothing short of dominant during a 4-0 start, ranking No. 4 nationally in total defense, No. 5 in scoring and No. 11 against the run.

"You have to be more aware of what he's doing," middle linebacker Devraun Thompson said. "He does a lot and they put a lot on his shoulders. So we're definitely going to have to have our eyes on him. It helps that he's a quarterback. It's not like the Reggie Bush situation and using him as decoy. He's not going to be a decoy. He's the quarterback."

Grothe, who took over for the injured Pat Julmiste early in the opener for the Bulls, has had to bear the burden of the offense with projected starting running back Ricky Poynton suspended and his expected fill-in, Moise Plancher, out for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

Though the Bulls are off to a 3-1 start, their offense sputtered in a 13-7 loss at Kansas on Saturday.

"With any option team you have to know where the quarterback is," said Rutgers linebacker Brandon Renkart. "He's an exceptional athlete and he can move. So there's a little extra awareness of where he is at all times.

"At the same time, you can't put too much of your focus on him. Everyone on our defense has a job to do. That's what this defense is predicated on."

Advertisement

Rutgers coach Greg Schiano, who coached in the NFL, went as far as drawing a comparison with former Detroit Lions great Barry Sanders when he was asked about the 6-0, 200-pound Grothe.

"He's so hard to get on the ground. You see people come scot-free and he makes them miss," said Schiano. "I've really talked to our guys a lot about getting him on the ground.

"I'm going to make a comparison -- now, I don't want to overblow things. It's like when we used to prepare for Barry Sanders. The defense was very concerned with getting him on the ground. Well this guy, relatively, is like that. We have to get him on the ground. No one has done it yet."

And while Grothe will be playing at home at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, he will also be in the national TV spotlight (ESPN2) for the first time in his career while facing a ranked opponent (Rutgers is No. 23 in both polls) for the first time.

And he has just four games to his credit.

"He's a freshman, so we're going to try to confuse him," said Thompson. "He's a freshman, so we'll throw different stuff at him and see how he handles it."

bilde?Avis=B5&Dato=20060927&Kategori=SPORTS0201&Lopenr=609270331&Ref=AR&MaxW=212

PISCATAWAY  Think the Rutgers offensive line felt pressure blocking for one Heisman hopeful?

Spreading praise

Home News Tribune Online 09/27/06

By KEITH SARGEANT

STAFF WRITER

ksargen@eastbrun.gannett.com

PISCATAWAY  Think the Rutgers offensive line felt pressure blocking for one Heisman hopeful?

Try two.

"Those guys are making things difficult, aren't they?" offensive tackle Jeremy Zuttah said, laughing while pointing to Brian Leonard and Ray Rice.

Sure, Leonard and Rice are making things twice as hard for the linemen now that both are being promoted by Rutgers for college football's most distinguished award.

"There's no more pressure for us," Zuttah countered. "I mean, there would be if those guys weren't so good. They make our jobs easy."

But just because he's praising Rutgers' star running backs publicly doesn't mean Zuttah and his linemates won't razz Rice and Leonard privately.

After all, it was Leonard who first took some ribbing from his teammates for his Heisman buzz throughout preseason camp.

"We got on him a little bit," Zuttah admitted.

Rice has yet to get the same treatment, mostly because he's only started to generate Heisman buzz this week.

"We definitely have to plan something," Zuttah said. "They're both humble guys so it's easy to mess with them. If they get a little publicity, Brian especially will blush.

"Well, Ray can't really blush," Zuttah cracked. "But we're still going to get on him a little bit."

For his part, Rice has managed to take the Heisman hype in stride, often deflecting the credit to the guys who have paved the way toward his Big East-leading 604 rushing yards and nine touchdowns.

"Those guys should get a collective Heisman award," Rice said. "They're the ones opening up these massive gaps for me."

In his four years at Rutgers, tackle Pedro Sosa has rarely sought out attention. So it's not surprising that he quickly deferred the credit after being told of Rice's comment.

"That doesn't surprise me," Sosa said, "because Ray's a humble guy. I'm proud of both of those guys because they both deserve that kind of attention."

Asked what it says that the offensive line has now turned two running backs into household names, Sosa again shifted the focus back on Leonard and Rice.

"I'm proud of those guys," the 6-foot-5, 295-pounder said. "They're doing their thing, and I'm proud to be a part of that."

And if one of them should live up to the hype and come away with the Heisman this season?

"Down the road," Sosa said, "I could tell my kids that I blocked for those guys."