• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  5,410
  • Days Won:  10

Writing from Wichita, game in seven hours...

Proud Daughter (USF '04) and baby Sean --

imagew2.aspx?i=82790883&c=2620244&z=0&v=kyhufpoteeuvfyoswsun123hcff1puwweryizrrhxlmf3sapxvp7ugj3r30ymoiacvtlhmmbmnj2ysu0

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  5,410
  • Days Won:  10

When we found the free parking lot at KU and boarded the shuttle to the stadium, we stood next to an elderly couple who started some small chat with us, asking us if we drove up from Florida.  We introduced ourselves and they introduced themselves as the coach's parents.  I asked, "which coach" and they replied, "Jim Leavitt".  Well, that was a surprise!  Both in their eighties, they have been touring the country and with the bad weather in this part of the country,  they decided to take in the game.  They had no tickets and were asking the locals where they could buy a ticket.  One of the KU fans (who told me with a smile that their defense is the shining part of their team and is good for six to eight sacks.  I told him I was looking for something of value on my person to bet him as I laughed at him) asked why Leavitt's parents had to buy tickets.  They told him that he didn't know that they were there and that they would just buy tickets.  This fan told them that no visiting coach's parents are going to have to buy tickets and when the bus stopped, I helped them off and walked them to the stadium where they were given tickets.  At halftime, Mrs. Leavitt came all the way down the bleachers to thank us and let us know that they found their seats.  We walked them back to the bus after the game, helped them up the stairs and talked a lot about their son.  These are absolutely lovely people.

One thing that I suspected and had confirmed from them is that CJL is very sensitive.  He absolutley loves the Tampa area and it hurts him a lot when people (like Bianchi) take shots at him.  It bothers him that his family reads these  things.  He takes things very personally.

The game has been (over)analyzed here, but the extras like meeting CJL's parents and talking to them about their son along with seeing Kawika Mitchell made up for the loss.  

The game and experience is now history.  Now it is time to play with Sean Patrick McDermott. :)

P.S. -- To any JayHawk fans still lurking, your fans were very friendly and respectful.  It iwas great to see.  It seems that this season is the first one where fans from other schools (including UCF -- would you beleive it???) have been friendly and courteous.  Are we being more accepted and respected or is there some celestial anomoly taking place?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  0

Grateful, thanks for the kind words.  I hope it does not seem arrogant when I say that I am not surprised that you were welcomed.  Way back when I was in school (when dinosaurs roamed the earth), KUs position was that our opponents fans were guest and should be treated as such (except Missouri fans who should be shot on sight).  

I hope you enjoyed your time on our beautiful campus.  It is hardly the stereotypical scene in most folks mind regarding the state of Kansas.  Please visit again.   Beat Rutgers....Go Bulls.