• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

I'm sure everyone has read all the articles, but I thought I'd post some quality quotes that I found amusing/intriguing/enlightening.

On UCF:

"They can make it a rivalry," Nicholas said. "But it ain't no rivalry. They can't win."

Leavitt.....said the game was especially emotional because his team had been characterized in Friday's Orlando Sentinel as a "renegade program." Leavitt choked up when he read the article to the team.

"He took that real personal," USF cornerback Mike Jenkins said. Added USF cornerback Trae Williams, who had two first-quarter interceptions: "It felt like a slap in the face."

Like they had their first two games, the Bulls rallied in the second half.

"It seemed like we were a different team [saturday] than the last two weeks," Grothe said. "We came out and had a lot of emotion. Coach Leavitt was probably the most excited person on the team."

"I had never seen him run to the crowd like that after the game," USF wide receiver Amarri Jackson said.

On Ean Randolph:

"(The winning catch) doesn't make up for the (dropped one)," said Randolph, who led all Bulls receivers with five catches for 126 yards. "I don't plan on dropping balls. I still dropped the (first) pass. I'm still beating myself up over it."

"After the (drop), he was sitting on the bench really down on himself," Grothe said. "I told him to forget about it. The (winning catch) had to be redemption for him.

"He didn't say that, but he doesn't talk that much, but when he does, everyone listens."

"He's just ... one of a kind," Grothe said. "We all know what he can do once he gets the ball."

Yet, Randolph still wanted more. He helped the Bulls win, but Randolph files that under teamwork.

"I just do what I can to help the team. I want to prove myself, and help win," he said. "We're a team out there, and defense helped us the most. One player can't win the game. I can't do it myself."

On Matt Grothe:

Central Florida had just blocked a punt for a touchdown, stolen the momentum and had the 46,708 inside the Florida Citrus Bowl on their feet. As University of South Florida quarterback Matt Grothe stepped inside the huddle, he could think of only one thing to do.

"I told a joke," Grothe said.

In the movie "The Program," quarterback Joe Kane uses a phrase to calm his teammates down before the final play in their season finale, a bowl game guaranteed with a win. Grothe relayed those same words in the huddle before starting USF's game-winning drive in a 24-17 victory Saturday against UCF.

"Let's put the women and children to bed and go looking for cuss word dinner," Grothe said. "I said it and everybody started laughing, I called a play and we drove down and scored."

"That's what he does. He's the quarterback, he's the leader of the team. Bad things are going to happen in games. You can either crumble under adversity, or you can step up and play," sophomore wide receiver Marcus Edwards said. "To come into a game like this, a hostile environment like this, and play like that, you've got to respect that."

Added sophomore wide receiver Taurus Johnson: "He's the main one that brings us together. Matt's the big leader on this team, and he came through. My confidence in Matt is just ridiculous."

"It's not really a thing that we're more confident in Matt [now]. We've always been confident because we practice with him every day. Him being a freshman really don't mean much. To us, we expect that kind of game out of Matt," junior wide receiver Amarri Jackson said. "He's a big-time player. I wasn't surprised at all in Matt's play late in the game. You guys are used to seeing it, too, now."

What stands out to me? Leadership.

For years, the defense has supplied the leaders on this team. We're seeing now that the times are a changin, and we have to emerging leaders on offense.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

The "joke quote" from Leavitt reminds me of when Joe Montana walked into the hiddle before marching down on Cincy for the game winning Super Bowl TD ...

He said something to the fact when he got into the huddle:

"Hey guys, did you see that woman's hat in the end zone ... "

A great way to calm your team.

I really think this offense has taken a big step forward.

Go BULLS !!!

P.S. Shoop, Thanx for taking the time and posting this.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

The "joke quote" from Leavitt reminds me of when Joe Montana walked into the hiddle before marching down on Cincy for the game winning Super Bowl TD ...

I believe Joe said something about seeing John Candy in stands ........ or maybe he told them two jokes?  ::)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Thats it ... Thanx  ;)

He saw John Candy  8-)

And it wasn't a joke  :-*

johncandyindoorway.gif

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I believe Joe said something about seeing John Candy in stands ........ or maybe he told them two jokes?  ::)

Actually i heard it was 2 jokes then he told them to try the fish and to tip their waitress

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

wow, awesome quotes.  and first mention of Ean's reaction to his drop that I've seen (although I havent read everything).  Ean and Grothe continue to raise my level of hope in this team.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Some more quotes courtesy of Patrick Zier of the (Lakeland) Ledger:

Jim Leavitt:  "Some of these articles are so disappointing," Leavitt said. "It's unfair. I'm so tired of the bull----."

Jim Leavitt:  "We've had to close ranks. We're a very young team (South Florida started 19 underclassmen against UCF) and we're trying hard. We're not a great team but we're a tough team."

Mr. Zier:  "Leavitt did not seem angry. He didn't really lash out that way. He seemed frustrated more than anything. Leavitt likes to feel he is in total control of anything related to South Florida football, and he can't control this.

He doesn't look at negatives. He has often said he doesn't think that way, and everything coming down around his head seems negative."

Link to the Ledger's "Leavitt Hits Back At Critics"

One more quote:

Bulliever:  "So maybe the rest of the jerks can put their mini light sabres away and let this team play football."