• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Orlando Sentinel: Bianchi on UCF (and USF)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Bianchi is a Gator alumnus, I can't ever fault anyone for being passionate about their school, he rips Florida just as much as he writes about it. However I don't think he said anything wrong or estranged this time.

The reason Florida or any big program is where it is, isn't really because they won a few games here an there and worked their way to big time. It's because they were able to secure the financial backing and fan support to get the best of everything.

USF and UCF haven't coem close yet, and it's going to take time to do it. It all has to start somewhere, and I think USF as a program has the foundation, I personally think it will be awhile before we're competing for national titles consistently.

I think it's a good article.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

UCF, UF Share Same Dreams, Different Goals

By JOEY JOHNSTON The Tampa Tribune

Published: Sep 10, 2006

...And next week, if the Knights can defeat USF in Orlando, they undoubtedly will claim status as the state's fourth-best program...

Ummm.... okay.... let's just forget about the pimp slap they got last year. They only had more than one score b/c we got lazy at the end of the fourth and they desperately rushed to have double digits before the end of the game. UCF would only break even with us if they beat us next weekend, and even then only if it was as resounding a victory as we had over them last year.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Joey Johnston is supposed to be a USF alumn, yet he writes idiot statements like this crap about UCF. Whatever. Also, Bianchi needs to correct himself about UF winning national titles. Last time that I checked, UF had 1 national title that was pretty much given to them by Arizona St's collapse against Ohio St.  Let UF fans think how great they are, but the point is that it is easier to win games at home. UF needs to challenge more out of conference teams on the road to earn my respect. Believe me, if UF could find a way to play all their SEC games at home they would do that in a heart beat. Remember Bianchi, it is one national title at UF.

Joey Johnston is supposed to be a USF alumn, yet he writes idiot statements like this crap about UCF. Whatever. Also, Bianchi needs to correct himself about UF winning national titles. Last time that I checked, UF had 1 national title that was pretty much given to them by Arizona St's collapse against Ohio St.  Let UF fans think how great they are, but the point is that it is easier to win games at home. UF needs to challenge more out of conference teams on the road to earn my respect. Believe me, if UF could find a way to play all their SEC games at home they would do that in a heart beat. Remember Bianchi, it is one national title at UF.

I dunno what Johnston was thinking, really no point in that article. If we beat UCF I hope there's something about us being th 4th team. I don't think we're anywhere above near the Big 3 yet, but we should still be above UCF if we get or act together. Hopefully it is a game that allows us to open the gap more.

Seriously though, UF plays the hardest schedule in the country this year and FSU's and Miami's aren't much easier. I think it's foolish for anyone on here to even criticize or berate any of their schedules (as I have seen from people on here doing with all three schools over the last few weeks). Florida State has constantly schedules hard teams out of conference. Florida reups their series with Miami in a few years.

All three teams have constantly been great teams in one form or another since the early 80s. I can only hope that one day USF appreciate how hard it is to reach that plateau rather than just thinking that you just go out grab a few recruits and win a national title. All those great Florida teams and they only have 1, all those great Seminole teams (15 years finishing in the top 5) and they only have 2, Miami was clearly most dominant and best programs of the three and it shows.

However winning a national title isn't easy, Michigan has 1 in the last 60 years, Notre Dame 1 in the last 30, Ohio State has 1 in the last 38 years. Yet these teams always seem to finish near the top and if they don't, they make changes.

My point is USF fans need to respect FSU, UF, Ohio State, or any other program near the top because that is what we strive to be one day. They have the funding (from fans), the fans, the tradition, the facilities, the brand name, and numerous amount of kids playing football who want to don their colors one day. However, Doesn't mean you have to like the program, the fans, the school, or even the coaches/players.

I think THAT was the point of Bianchi's article.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  289
  • Days Won:  0

You are talking about the Florida Gators here.... How did anyone expect UCF to size up.  GIve me a break. You are talking about a school that went out and signed the number 1 recruit in the country Percy Harvey.  THe number one Quarterback in the country in Tim Tebow.  They have an athletic endowment in the 100's of millions.  It is freakin UCF.  I just think people get a little over them selves when they don't reconize the level of talen in that and those programs.  We are talking about kids that aren't just all-state selections.  We are talking about kids who are the best in the nation at their position.  Look at Jarad Fayson...  The kid would play every down at UCF -- but barely touches the ball 4 or 5 times for FLorida.

Night and day boys.

Um and you recruited Fayson with everything you've got.  Not to mention Ingram.  But they all chose to be receivers at UF who touch the ball 4 or 5 times a game instead of being teh starting QB at USF.  You're in the same boat.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf can keep ftu/ou/oc down with another bashing

usf can show it is part of the big four with another thrashing of ftu/ou/oc in orlando

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf will beat ftu/ou/oc with the players we have on our roster

players that chose to go somewhere else will not effect next week's game

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

knight fan, yes we did recruit Fayson. He just pretty much lost interest in USF after we were recruiting a lot QBs. Also, I am not sure that many offensive players really like our offense as of late while Urban's at UF has been pretty exciting for those recruits. Those recruits know that UF is not far off at winning the national title, so you can bet all of the state schools are losing the recruiting battle against UF.  

Joe,

I know UF has a very tough schedule, but I factor that because the SEC is one of the best conferences in the nation. UF has to play that schedule because that is their conference. Also, I believe UF was forced to play FSU year after year by politics. I dont blame UF at all at scheduling easier out of conference games at home. They need some easy games because of their schedule is  tough with the SEC. I have a lot of respect for the UF program because they are very powerful with talent, traditon, fans, and money. How can anyone not want the same for USF?? It is going to take a very long time before USF can get to that level or at least the level of FSU. UCF and Southern Miss are really not bad programs, so I dont think we can knock UF for scheduling those games. I just have a hard time reading all this crap that Bianchi puts out most of the time. He is what is wrong with UF in my opinion. He has this attitude that noone will ever be better than UF football. He also goes out of his way to bash USF football whenever he gets  the chance. And no, it is not just because he covers UCF football.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

Bianchi is a Gator alumnus, I can't ever fault anyone for being passionate about their school, he rips Florida just as much as he writes about it. However I don't think he said anything wrong or estranged this time.

The point is that he is supposed to be the Orlando Sentinel's ambassador for UCF.  He spend years ridiculing USF in the papers because USF would not schedule UCF.  He started that gay-assed USF chickiepoos horse crap name calling in the Orlando paper.  

You think he would man up and write the game follow up after we tanned UCF's arse last year, but he decided to masturbate all over his Gators and left the USF-UCF story to Jemele Hill.  He probably did UCF fans a favor by handing off the story to Jemele Hill; she is a better writer than that idiot Bianchi.  I also saw Jemele on ESPN Friday night, and she is as beautiful in the looks department as she is articulate in the journalist department.  I have seen Bianchi on that Florida sports cable show, and he looks just as goofy as his picture in the paper, and he has a squeaky Mickey Mouse voice.

My point is USF fans need to respect FSU, UF, Ohio State, or any other program near the top because that is what we strive to be one day.

Why do we need to respect them?  F-em.  My life does not revolve around ESPN like the prototypical sports nerd.  People love to make fun of the comic book and science fiction nerds, but they are nowhere near the scale of sports nerds – sports nerds are worse in their obsessive compulsions about everything sports.  They do not dress up like super heroes or Star Trek officers and go to conventions, but they do dress up in athletic uniforms while their beer guts spill over their waistlines.

I support my school and the respect ends there.  I support USF not because of football, but because of the doors that my education at USF has opened in my professional and social life.  Football is a bonus and I am glad it here, but the lack of football did not diminish my college years or the pride I felt about my alma mater before we had football.  I could care less about any other school no matter how many fans, dollars national titles or Rhodes scholars they have.

Why do we need to respect them?  F-em.  My life does not revolve around ESPN like the prototypical sports nerd.  People love to make fun of the comic book and science fiction nerds, but they are nowhere near the scale of sports nerds – sports nerds are worse in their obsessive compulsions about everything sports.  They do not dress up like super heroes or Star Trek officers and go to conventions, but they do dress up in athletic uniforms while their beer guts spill over their waistlines.

I support my school and the respect ends there.  I support USF not because of football, but because of the doors that my education at USF has opened in my professional and social life.  Football is a bonus and I am glad it here, but the lack of football did not diminish my college years or the pride I felt about my alma mater before we had football.  I could care less about any other school no matter how many fans, dollars national titles or Rhodes scholars they have.

Hightech,

I understand your point of view. There are many college football fans that are not huge fans of football, but rather they like seeing their Alma Mater do well. I have no problem with it, I think it's great for the school as a whole. That being said, I think your a minority on here when it comes to this view.

Most want the national titles, big time environment that these other schools have.

I know I do, am I a sports nerd, Yes. I played football and baseball for 15 years, played a few weeks at a JUCO and tore my knee up again. My career now is centered around sports, however I don't listen to sports radio much, not much of a fantasy sports guy. I don't get all engulfed by stupid ESPN Drama stories. I love the games, and I watch them when I can.

Hopefully someday USF will be mentioned with the Ohio State, Texas, and USC's of college football. If it isn't I'll still support them.