• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe

Guest R_to_the_izzo

Guest R_to_the_izzo
He made one disugusting throw, for a pick 6, that made us ALL realize that he is a freshman....in game #2.

He ALSO made a gorgeous throw for the winning TD that made us realize that we HAVE something here...

And he threw into double coverage all night, and he over threw the deep in route. All I am saying is if it was PJ at QB you would be calling for his head. But your giving Grothe a free pass as a freshman. Wins are the only thing that counts, and unless his game improves we won't be beating UCF on the road next week.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Grothe is not the problem. (I actually think he played pretty well, almost 90 yards rushing and the game winning td)  Penaties, special teams play, and miscues are the problem.  Fix that, and we will have a good year.  

Guest R_to_the_izzo
The QB is a freshman.  I will take him and a mediocre/bad season and let him learn over a gut wrenching season with PJ anyday.  Heck, we ended up 6-6 last year with PJ.  If we get no Bowl game  this year and then 3 great years I will take my lumps this year.  

Cool. Then why don't you take St. Louis/Moffit/Nichoals off the field and get some of the younger guys in there too. You expect to lose why not get all of your underclassmen in there?

I don't expect to lose jacka$$.  But I don't expect Grothe to be perfect.  And I will not take my senior/juniors off the field.  We have a better chance of winning with Grothe at QB than we do with PJ.  Get real.

Yeah he prooved that today. When save for 1 pass for a TD he looked awful. But keep those blinders on. You do expect to to lose. Thats why you said "I will take him and a mediocre/bad season". If you will take a mediocre season with him at QB why not a medicore season with all of our backups?

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  50
  • Days Won:  0

I really like this kid's moxie. Just imagine if had anything that resembled a running game...right now he is his own running game...He should only get better.

Nice to see someone get the ball to our talented receivers. Hopefully one of the backs will emerage  at some point this season.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Cool. Then why don't you take St. Louis/Moffit/Nichoals off the field and get some of the younger guys in there too. You expect to lose why not get all of your underclassmen in there?

God you're a an absolute moron trying to play this card. Matt is a freshman and he made 2 mistakes that a freshman makes. H ealso made some good throws. I will agree that I am bit leery fo him throwing very deep, but he will get stronger.

Matt didn't play as well as we had hoped for, but he did do some good things that helped us win.

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

The first INT was totally his inexperience.  The DB suckered him... the DB dropped back as MG was at the line... then MG called an audbile and the DB knew where it was going.  On the snap, he broke for the WR at the line of scrimmage watching MG all the time.

It doesn't help when Rod Smith has called that same hook route for the 5th time in a quarter and a half of football.  Sooner or later FIU was going to jump that route.

I thought MG played well overall.  He did make some freshman mistakes with both INT's and the 4th down incomplete pass late in the game.  He also made some great passes tonight that PJ would never have made.  Bottom line I don't think we win that game with PJ at QB.  

Thats why you said "I will take him and a mediocre/bad season". If you will take a mediocre season with him at QB why not a medicore season with all of our backups?

Been there, done that: 2004.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

And he threw into double coverage all night, and he over threw the deep in route. All I am saying is if it was PJ at QB you would be calling for his head. But your giving Grothe a free pass as a freshman. Wins are the only thing that counts,

And we won ......... and we are giving MG a free pas because he IS a freshman. The fact he stayed in there the whole game indicates that he is definitely the starter. He's going to make mistakes and hopefully, he'll make amends like he did tonight on the pass to Johnson. We just need to prepare to deal with it ........

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

INT was the OC's fault for calling that play.  Terrible call for a frosh QB deep in his on territory.  The WRs dropped at least 3 maybe 4 passes that should have converted 3rd down.  USF needs an OC and now!  Grothe is a freshman.  He'll only get better.  Blackwell had a few nites like this too.  Our Bulls werre looking past FIU to UCF.  T.Johnson statem't on the radio was about UCF not the FIU game.  I am concerned but not w/MG.  I'm concerned about the OL and Ponton needs to get back next week.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  50

I think in 2 games (albeit against weak competition) we have seen enough of him to think he can grow into a good quarterback. In the past this is all this team has needed.

Unfortunately, I don't think I remember this many questionmarks in other areas.