• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This is just BULL Spit................

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I agree with you. However, there is no denying that UF and FSU demand more coverage, newspapers do studies on this all the time. It's part of the industry especially since the internet has changed the face of print media.

It will change, you just have to give USF time. When demand is needed papers WILL give more coverage.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459
  • Days Won:  0

How is it bullspit? There's a capsule to preview the game like every other team, and there's news in the roundup on Ryan Schmidt getting his waiver and the recruit from St. Pete Catholic backing out of his commitment. We don't run a generic preview story for lesser games, and by newsworthiness, this is a lesser game, not because it's USF, but because it's USF and FIU. The crowd will reflect that, I assure you. Florida didn't get a story today, Miami didn't get a story. I can't imagine their fans are storming message boards, threatening to pull subscriptions. This has nothing to do with Leavitt not talking to the media; it's how we've handled advancing less important games since I've been on the beat. Sorry if you're disappointed with the coverage -- when the opponents are a little more relevant, we'll have stories on game day to advance those games. This isn't one of those weeks.

Sounds reasonable.  Will the USF/UCF game have a gameday story? :-)

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I feel like I am arguing this piont to death, but I just don't understand why there isn't a small article of 7 - 10 paragraphs on game day sizing up the two teams, whether or not it is a home or away game, or no matter who we are playing.  The local papers for Tallahassee, Miami, and Gainseville certainly cover their schools every single week.  Orlando Sentinel covers UCF regardless of which school they are playing.  I just feel like we are often snubbed on game day.  Asking me to wait until we earn it, and I call BS.  We were in a bowl last year.  FSU has dropped out of the top 25 two years in a row and play 5 hours away.  It is okay if there is a little inequitty for the home team's covereage.  We are the home team of a University that ranks in the TOP 15 of all Universities for attendance/students at 43k.   The school has an economic impact of over $1B annually and is one of our top employers.  The stats go on.   Getting nothing but a small side bar two paragraph coverage on a game day is really sad. I cannot believe that other USF supporters don't agree, and are arguing for FSU and UF....   C'mon people, it is our team and the home team.  That would be like having full articles on the Dolphins and having to look into the back of the sports section to find something on the Bucs.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I'm not saying I agree with it, but it's the nature of the business. SDSU receives less coverage than USC. SMU receives a 1/3rd the coverage of Texas adn Texas A&M (friend of mine works for a Dallas area newspaper)

It's what the people want to read, and unfortunately more want to read about the other teams...once again it's business.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Lots of good thoughts here. The ratings from last week are encouraging for USF, but they hardly contradict what I'm arguing. UF was on pay-per-view, and it's unfair to compare USF-McNeese to FSU-Miami. You want something that seems odd, ask the Orlando Sentinel why it's sending a staff writer to the Tennessee-Cal game last week, but not having a staffer drive two hours for USF's home opener. Yes, UF-UT is in two weeks, but the Bulls are coming to Orlando in two weeks, too. Are any of the South Florida (geographically South Florida) papers going to send more than one staffer with FIU tonight?

Believe me, I want as much USF coverage as possible -- the more relevant my beat is, the better. Keep in mind that my paper has had a USF blog for more than a year, but it doesn't have a Florida or Florida State blog, and given the conversation points that come up here from both papers' USF blogs, I'd say that's an important area where we have more coverage for the Bulls than any other college program we cover.

I'm never going to question the interest level in USF on this message board. Unfortunately for you guys, it's on the streets, in the stadiums, etc., that matters when it comes to dictating coverage. A little lobbying on your part won't hurt, of course, but there are outside things that have to change -- that could be as simple as success on the field -- before coverage is likely to.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Sure like the Bucs used to have success on the field and 30k or less in the stands.  That reasoning doesn't fly Greg.  I was there during this time and there was always huge amounts of coverage.  Take off the skirt and tell your boss more USf football coverage is  needed.  You may even need a raise and more help to properly cover the Bulls.  

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913

Guess I should make that more clear: more success on the field helps indirectly. It gets more fans in the stands, makes the beat more newsworthy outside the realm of USF's following. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get my skirt on for tonight's game ...

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

How is it bullspit? There's a capsule to preview the game like every other team, and there's news in the roundup on Ryan Schmidt getting his waiver and the recruit from St. Pete Catholic backing out of his commitment. We don't run a generic preview story for lesser games, and by newsworthiness, this is a lesser game, not because it's USF, but because it's USF and FIU. The crowd will reflect that, I assure you. Florida didn't get a story today, Miami didn't get a story. I can't imagine their fans are storming message boards, threatening to pull subscriptions.

Greg,

Few questions.

If the Times didn't run UF, Miami, or USF GameDay stories...what they heck WAS written in your sports section? (HUGE write up of FSU/Troy preview?)

If your Bay Area newspaper won't support the hometown team when ALL the other Big 3 ranked FLA Programs are ALL playing non-ranked teams...when will you (St Pete Times) support them?

Also...USF needed a comeback late to win by 1 pt over FIU.

If USF would of lost, would last nights game been considered a "lesser" game?

KL

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Its all about the $$$$, as USF gets better and attendance increases and the schedule gets better, then USF will warrant more extensive coverage from the local papers, until then, expect Greg and Brent to their best with the resources they are alloted.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574

Greg, you are doing a great job, but I do have a problem with a 'hometown' newspaper judging the importance of a game and then minimizing coverage accordingly.  USF is THE team in the Tampa Bay area.  They should be THE team covered extensively, even if they are playing a team of 11 year olds.  UCF v. UF may be interesting, and may merit an article in Sat.'s paper, but it should still be secondary to the local team.  That is what is so frustrating with coverage of USF and other schools like it.  Most other papers, metropolitan or small town, cover their local team, no matter what first, and then look to cover 'other' games/teams.  That's a fact.

Normal

Well said.  WE ARE THE HOMETOWN TEAM :