• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Those Crazy FIU guys really think.............

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

Truthfully, I don't know squat about FIU football, but all I have to say is I hope we learned something from the Army game not to overlook ANY opponent. The McNeese game started kinda spooky, So l hope we score early and often.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  20
  • Days Won:  0

#2---I'm a big girl. I don't have a bedtime. My mommy stopped that a very long time ago. Heck, I'm probably older than you. Perhaps I should be asking you the "bedtime" question.

Big deal, you did it in 3 yrs, we did it in 5.  It's not that big of a difference really, you guys forced yourselves to move up when the team isn't even ready.  Not like it matters because in a few years you guys will be back in 1AA since you won't be able to have the necessary attendance at games.

Here are the 2005 average attendance figures, Provisional Teams section. Made it not by much but still made it. And there are 19 teams with average attendance lower than ours and our attendance as a percentage of capacity was at 91% (with a new stadium on the way), which is higher than a lot of other teams. D1aa, keep praying.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2005/Internet/attendance/IA_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

You guys are too funny.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Whats funny is your team history. Last 3 years 5-6, 3-7, 2-10.

Nuff said.

Do you see any kind of trend developing in those records?? I know a logical line of questioning may not be a USF followers strong point. Keep underestimating us.

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

I have no problem with FIU.  I think it would have been smart to stay in I_AA and win a few championships that way, but hey.  As for attendance, I don't think there is a minimum cost for the tickets, so if they discount them, purchasing 7000 or so tickets is not that big deal, even for an FIU grad.

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

The Sunbelt is horrible.  Out of 119 Division 1A teams the entire Sunbelt Conference is listed from #100-#119.  This is from Athlon's Preseason Mag.  While many of these rankings don't mean much, this is a glaring statement when the entire conference is at the bottom of the list.  You guys just need to add in Temple and Buffalo to make it even worse.........

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

I really don't understand some of the attitudes on this board.

Can't you guys remember what it was like to be a wet behind the ears program? Being treated like dirt from EVERY other team who threw history and every other assorted item in our face? Of course, we did beat those teams if not right away, eventually.

On the flip side-- I think the FIU folks need to also give our history and the hard work and dedication required to get where we are as a program today some respect. The claim that you made it to 1-A status faster than us may have been the result of our efforts in the first place. We were able to get there and that made it plausible for you and FAU to follow suit. Other teams like UCF muddled along from one step to the next over a couple of decades. If you did indeed beat us to achieving 1-A status, realize that we spent 3 years in 1-AA (1997, 1998, 1999) then one year as transitional 1-A (2000) then were full 1-A members in 2001. IF you want to get snippy about it-- tell us when you have joined a BCS conference. Please let's not get into the whole "the Big East will lose that soon" BS -- because those are facts not yet established, only theoretical.

Anyway-- back to my point. What you've accomplished should be praised and appreciated. WE understand your program far more than you want to admit and I don't know where (or who) told you that we want you to fail-- that is not the case for me, I can tell you that much. If you don't want to be a 1-AA team-- fine-- we understand that. It's good that you are in a conference-- regardless of how it is viewed by others. We happened to be a part of several over the years (including the Sun Belt back in the day) and moving from CUSA was a great step for us.

Last point-- consider how successful we've been during our entire journey. First game with 50,000 fans in attendance (actual butts in the seats). Winning seasons 7 out of our 9 years. Beating ranked teams and being ranked throughout 1998-1999 in 1-AA during our time in that division. Beating 1-A ranked teams. Joining a BCS conference. Getting to a Bowl game. Maintaining average attendance well above the standards set by the NCAA from inception (and without the use of charity tickets-- although I see why this is necessary in the ho-hum fan base area of Miami).  These are not exactly small steps. We worked hard, got a little lucky here and there, had a good plan, and some fine people to see that plan through. I know I feel fortunate about that.

That said-- good luck this Saturday. I hope you enjoy your trip to Tampa and consider coming back for the return date later on. I'm sure many of us will venture to your campus to see our game there. Trust me-- no one on USFs football team is taking anything for granted when it comes to playing FIU. You will wish they did perhaps because our defense can be exceptionally brutal at times (you'll see what I mean there). I expect USF to win this game. I can't say how well we will handle your team for certain, but with any luck our fans will treat you and your team with the respect they deserve.

I can appreciate a voice of reason...til' tomorrow.

I really don't understand some of the attitudes on this board.

Can't you guys remember what it was like to be a wet behind the ears program? Being treated like dirt from EVERY other team who threw history and every other assorted item in our face? Of course, we did beat those teams if not right away, eventually.

On the flip side-- I think the FIU folks need to also give our history and the hard work and dedication required to get where we are as a program today some respect. The claim that you made it to 1-A status faster than us may have been the result of our efforts in the first place. We were able to get there and that made it plausible for you and FAU to follow suit. Other teams like UCF muddled along from one step to the next over a couple of decades. If you did indeed beat us to achieving 1-A status, realize that we spent 3 years in 1-AA (1997, 1998, 1999) then one year as transitional 1-A (2000) then were full 1-A members in 2001. IF you want to get snippy about it-- tell us when you have joined a BCS conference. Please let's not get into the whole "the Big East will lose that soon" BS -- because those are facts not yet established, only theoretical.

Anyway-- back to my point. What you've accomplished should be praised and appreciated. WE understand your program far more than you want to admit and I don't know where (or who) told you that we want you to fail-- that is not the case for me, I can tell you that much. If you don't want to be a 1-AA team-- fine-- we understand that. It's good that you are in a conference-- regardless of how it is viewed by others. We happened to be a part of several over the years (including the Sun Belt back in the day) and moving from CUSA was a great step for us.

Last point-- consider how successful we've been during our entire journey. First game with 50,000 fans in attendance (actual butts in the seats). Winning seasons 7 out of our 9 years. Beating ranked teams and being ranked throughout 1998-1999 in 1-AA during our time in that division. Beating 1-A ranked teams. Joining a BCS conference. Getting to a Bowl game. Maintaining average attendance well above the standards set by the NCAA from inception (and without the use of charity tickets-- although I see why this is necessary in the ho-hum fan base area of Miami).  These are not exactly small steps. We worked hard, got a little lucky here and there, had a good plan, and some fine people to see that plan through. I know I feel fortunate about that.

That said-- good luck this Saturday. I hope you enjoy your trip to Tampa and consider coming back for the return date later on. I'm sure many of us will venture to your campus to see our game there. Trust me-- no one on USFs football team is taking anything for granted when it comes to playing FIU. You will wish they did perhaps because our defense can be exceptionally brutal at times (you'll see what I mean there). I expect USF to win this game. I can't say how well we will handle your team for certain, but with any luck our fans will treat you and your team with the respect they deserve.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

I want to sleep with FIUmom... gotta pix? I like your enthusiasm for your program... good luck this weekend. We need to take care of business. Yes... we were in their shoes five years ago... but five years from now, FIU will be a different program also. There's enough talent to go around in Florida if they can string together two to three straight 8-win seasons.

Fricking hilarious Sheriff!!!!!

Why are we you guys wasting your time arguing with FIU people.  Let them talk their smack and our actions talk for us on the field.  When we win be humble as well.  They have nothing to lose, so if and when they lose they wont be surprise but if by some crazy event they win you will have a foot in your mouth.  

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

USF will be the only team on the field that can beat USF tomorrow...  if we come out flat and distracted, this will be closer than anyone of us wants to admit.  If both teams play lights out, it should be a 3-4 TD difference in our favor.  

I am glad to see their fans have a big interest in this game (at least the message boards indicate this).  I hope they bring bunches.  Did anyone see the "which USF player looks like which celebrity" posting on their website?  Their fans are creative to say the least.  Nothing like a fun spirited rivalry.  

We need to watch out for FIU and FAU in the not so distant future.  The fact is 5th place in football is up for grabs in this state.  FIU or FAU will be in that 5th spot in the next 4-5 years... all but guaranteed.

Why?  Location, location, location.

And, because UCF will keep with their 26 year old tradition of making bad business decisions.  There is no sign that they're slowing the trend down (see pricy O'Leary contract extension and super expensive OCS and indoor practice field).  

FIU and/or FAU will have a say in the Florida Football landscape by the end of the decade.