• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF tight end Bleakley arrested on DUI charge

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Don't like it? Blame MADD, the most socially-accepted terrorist group in America, and the most successful.

Entirely because of MADD, the BAC threshold for DUI has slipped from .12 to .08 entirely through the federal government's extortion.

And they're pushing for .06, now.

Not only is this a sorry thing to say, but considering drinking is practically a full degree program at Ohio U, it's ignorant.

Again, I'm tired of reading about individuals making mistakes. The team and the program needs to address this before something major happens. Like it or not, they are role models for the university. If Leavitt wants to focus on the games, that's fine, but he needs to get someone on his staff to get everyone in line.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JulmisteForPrez

That's a great point, Bobcat.  And you simply can't argue with that!  They ARE to be held to a higher standard.  Just like when my wife went to USF on all kinds of expensive scholarships.  She was held to an incredibly high standard since someone else was paying!  If she had messed up, it would have been, "Thanks for coming, have a nice day!" for her, and she understood that.  So once again, Triple_B, your argument is rendered moot.

And as for saying I'm equating him to a thug, call it what you'd like, but the fact is he broke a law, and that makes him (no matter how small the penalty is) a law breaker.  Now, do I need to explain that one as well?

Guest JulmisteForPrez

And also, Triple_B....

I love the way you deem the way I choose to use logical progression in my arguments to be "extraneous crap."  I suppose that when you try to use logic with someone who does not make a habit of doing so himself, it's an effort in futility.  So thanks for the hint.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

You wouldn't take a regular student's scholarship away if they got a DUI. I know, because my roomate got one. He had to attended an on campus Drug and Alcohol class and was place on probation.

As for the "we're becoming Miami and FSU comments" Stop!

EVERY NCAA school from HARVARD to the worst academic schools have problems with alcohol and their student athletes. Until there are multiple headlines on ESPN saying USF student gets hudreds of dollars in shoes (Peter Warrick) or USF student beats girlfriend in dorm and drags her down the hall (Ernie Sims) or USF student hits girl outside nightclub (Ryan Moore). Then you're not even close to what they've done.

Yes it sucks that Bleakley made a stupid misatke and drove after he had a few. And it's not a good thing. However pulling a kid's scholly would just be a little harsh, a few game suspension should be fine.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think anyone was calling for his scholarship to be revoked. We were simply saying that we, as the fans who fund the scholarship, have a right to expect a bit more as a citizen than a regular student paying her or his own way through school.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  115
  • Days Won:  0

Ok, so four pages of this and does anyone know what the rules are.

Does the athletic department have a written "Code of Conduct"?

Is there a rule on drinking? Curfew? Behavior detremental to the team?

It appears the punishment is NOT severe enough as it is.

Playing college sports is a privilege not a right. If these guys don't want to follow the rules, let'em go somewhere else! I don't care who the player is.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

he made a stupid decision and got caught.  Most people who drink socially have made the same mistake just havent been caught.  For most people 2-4 beers will put you over the legal limit so all i takes at that point is "just cause" to pull you over.  With it being the first couple weeks of classes HPD and TPD and USFPD are all out for blood to basically scare students away from drinking and driving, add that in with labor day weekend and it not hard to get pulled over on "suspicion of DUI".   Now with all of that said there is still no excuse for this that can justify what he did, good kid or not.  He should have to serve a 1 maybe 2 game suspension at the most and attend drug and alcohol courses.  And SERIOUSLY stop with the we're becoming The U, FSU, etc, until our kids are drving around campus in brand new SUV's sitting on 20's (per my friend who just graduated from FSU and almost got ran over by Ernie Sims in a vehicle of the like), beating up everyone in sight students, girlfriends, or each other in class (UCF a couple years back) etc, and all the other great things that go on at most major d-1 programs.  Does it make it right no? But does it come with the territory yes?  I could go on a tangent as to why this stuff is pretty much normal for a D-1 program but thats a whole nother thread.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

tribleB = owned!  ;D

You've got to be kidding ...........

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Guys, guys....

I'm not saying we're to the level of FSU or Miami yet.  My contention is that this past offseason and the beginning of this on-season (if that's even a real word) has caused this program to make leaps and bounds in catching up.  Yes, we still have a ways to go in getting to the level of that thuggery.  But trust me, I've kept up with the thuggery at FSU because I love to give certain family members who are FSU alums a hard time about it.  And I cannot ever remember a 6 month or so stretch where this much garbage has taken place (academics, arrests, coaches DUI, etc., etc., etc.,).  Maybe many years ago, but certainly not any time in the modern era.

What I'm saying is, before this past offseason, we had TONS of credibility as a tidy program.  But this here lately has been a joke!!