• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe to Start Saturday vs FIU...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

And Joe,

I hope you know that it has been reported that Grothe has been playing better than Julmiste during the fall practices. Sure Leavitt was stating that the QB position was even, but I really dont buy that from him. If that were the case then Grothe would have not been slated to start the second half during the McNeese St game. Leavitt was just being loyal to his senior which was exactly what got Joe Pa in hot water @Penn St a few years ago. Joe Pa would be loyal to his players by playing his upperclassmen while sitting his more talented freshmen. Well, last season Joe Pa changed his philosophy, and the rest was history as he had a stellar year playing freshmen. The point is that Grothe does give USF the best chance to win, so I dont want Leavitt playing a senior because he wants to be loyal. If Grothe stinks up the next two games then you will have a valid argument to bring back Julmiste, but until then it should be Grothe's job to lose now.

I'm not buying the loyalty thing. I just don't think Grothe was that much better than PJ in practice or Leavitt would have gone with him out of the gate. CJL has never been shy about pulling him in favor of other guys when he has struggled. PJ wasn't playing bad against MSU either, he actually was playing pretty well considering the Oline was terrible and he had a fresh defense in his face on a lot of plays. I think that if PJ had been in instead of Grothe, you would have seen similar stats. I really think McNeese defense was that done in the 2nd half.

Joe Pa wasn't being loyal to his senior! He came out and said that Robinson gave him the best chance to win and as a result he would start. It caused a major controversy that even led to more questioning on whether Joe pa should still coach.

I KNOW Grothe is the FUTURE of this team. I think he will be VERY good. What I am questioning is whether he is the right guy to win NOW. He might be, but I am not convinced after it took him until the middle of the third against a I-AA team to get everything down. Call it settling in or whatever you want. But the defense was gassed! I would like to see both play equally this week so that the best man can be decided before UCF.

I'm not sure who will give us the better chance to win now. I'm not sure if it is Grothe or PJ, and I don't think the coaching staff is completely convinced either.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

Joe Pa would be loyal to his players by playing his upperclassmen while sitting his more talented freshmen. Well, last season Joe Pa changed his philosophy, and the rest was history as he had a stellar year playing freshmen.

But his quarterback was a senior .........  ;)

Joe Pa would be loyal to his players by playing his upperclassmen while sitting his more talented freshmen. Well, last season Joe Pa changed his philosophy, and the rest was history as he had a stellar year playing freshmen.

...and one that was wilding inconsistent in previous 2 seasons (less than 50% completions, more ints than TDs, fumbling problems)

• Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

...and one that was wilding inconsistent in previous 2 seasons (less than 50% completions, more ints than TDs, fumbling problems)

Joe, we're fighting windmills here ...... Just need to let things play out and hope that whatever the final decision is on the qb, it's the one that gives us the best chance to win THIS year. I'm not as quick as somebody else to write off the Big East title before even starting conference play.   8-)

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

I think this season sets up perfectly for breaking in a new QB. Each week we take one more step up in the level of competition. 1AA to low tier non BCS 1A to upper tier non BCS to lower tier BCS all leading into the tougher competition. How much more perfect can it get for our situation?

This will also allow the coaches to evaluate our QB situation at each step along the way so if Grothe isn't advancing quick enough changes can be made before we hit the next stage.

As far as the rod smith threads, well if a 3rd qb ends up with the same fundamental problems as the last two he got a hold of then I think it will be warranted. Hopefully MG has enough natural ability to play well in spite of the coaching weakness.

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Let me just say this much (and I stopped reading about half way through page 2)-- whether we start PJ or MG, MG is the future at QB. As far as I'm concerned, that development process can be as gradual as the coaches feel is necessary. I don't want the kid getting shallacked after one bad game.  

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not buying the loyalty thing.

Well you should because Leavitt stated that in his post game interview.

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

The pros to going with Grothe to get him ready for the future is you kind of put all your eggs into one basket. If that guy gets hurt, oh man-- now what? Grant Gregory?  (I'm talking about in the next year or two).

We need to remember that it takes one play for a guy to be out for a season. PJ is CRUCIAL to this season, even if that is in a new role as a backup to Grothe. A little respect for him would be warranted as he hasn't quit on this team-- ever.

I'm not buying the loyalty thing.

Well you should because Leavitt stated that in his post game interview.

You're right coaches are 100% truthful in post game interviews.

ahem...Gullible..ahem

In all honesty he was saying that to avoid a large scale QB controversy. Just as the PJ injury is being played big time as the reason Grothe will start.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

Triple,

I am just being a realist about USF not winning the BIG EAST this season. It would be a big surprise to me if USF beat out WVU and UL for that title. We dont have the team right now for that, but I can see us building up to that level pretty soon. A successful season for me would be for USF to make another bowl game, and to hopefully win the bowl game this time. That would be a nice season in my eyes. I still would love to see Leavitt use PJ as a power RB to help on offense.