• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe to Start Saturday vs FIU...

^^^ (The pass in question was to S.J. Green along the sidelines.)

What about the touch passes to Peyton against Penn State?

What about the first pass of the game to Amarri Jackson against Louisville (almost a TD) and Miami (dropped)?

PJ was not the most accurate passer when he was pressured (over receivers heads, at their feet), but when he had time in the pocket he could deliver well.

I can't believe people that MG is the saviour.  Is he good? Yes.  Is he better than PJ? Probably.  But so many people are on the "anybody but Julmiste" mantra that they tend to make MG better in their eyes and PJ worse.

I hope both QBs get to play a lot this season.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

I have seen Pat make those throw plenty of times against TCU and UAB, but the point is that he was never consistant. See Army game. See Miami game. See NC St game. I like our chances better with Grothe at the QB spot.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Ok, so again, Grothe was a lil inconsistent in the Green and Gold game. And played well once the defense was gassed against MSU. Once again, I think the guy will be very good, it will take some time though.

Everyone is treating it like it's open and shut. PJ has seen these better defenses, Grothe hasn't.

MSU was a nice tune up for timing, blocking, and other small aspects of the game that are needed. However, looking at stats, etc is just silly. They aren't a very good team when you put them on the D-IA level, no depth, etc.

If (and I hope it dosen't happen) Grothe struggles against a much better defense at FIU everyone will blame the coaches. And then there will be 30 threads on firing Rod Smith again. I just think we need to see how THIS game against FIU plays out before annointing teh starting QB for the 1st test in UCF.

Joe,

Here is what I am saying. I know USF has no shot at winning the BIG EAST this season, so why not let Grothe get some much needed experience?? What is the point of playing a senior QB that has made the same mistakes since day 1??? If we dont play Grothe that much this season then next year will be like starting all over because Grothe still wont have the experience. Grothe may have some growing pains this season which is fine with me because I know it will make him a better QB for next season and beyond. The goal is to develop a QB that can give USF a shot at the BIG EAST title. I believe Grothe can give USF a shot at it. I never thought Julmiste was a good QB to fit our style. He was basically an option QB in high school in which he barely threw the ball. On the other hand, Grothe did throw the ball well in high school and he is really ahead of Julmiste coming into USF at throwing the ball. I would rather have Grothe get his feet wet now than to be loyal to a senior QB that will make the same mistakes. That is all I am saying.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  20
  • Days Won:  0

Your freshman QB is going to be on his back all game...here are 2 names you'll be hearing a lot of on Saturday, Antwan Barnes and Keyonvis Bouie. Antwan is currently #1 in the nation in sacks (4) and 2nd in tackles for loss. Keyonvis is 5th nationally in tackles. Both are Lombardi award nominees, they are 2 of 3 from Florida nominated for this award, the other hails from UCF.

Keep thinking we're "barely D1a" and you're going to be in for a loooong Saturday.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Here's why:

You always start the QB or any player at any position that gives you the best chance to win NOW. If Grothe is that guy then he will show it in the next game.

However to possibly lose games because you're trying to get ONE player better for the future is terrible for the team. Is starting Grothe and losing 7 games worth it? You lose the bowl money, maybe a few recruits, etc. Not saying that won't happen but there is a chance that it could if you don't put the best players out there to win now.

I don't think I can name a coach that would even do that.

Last year at Penn State they were screaming for prize recruit Anthony Morelli to start over a "terrible" Michael Robinson who had terrible starts in 2003 and was benched in 2004. However, Joe Pa went with the guy he thought could give him the BEST chance to win last season. As a result Robinson led them to an 11-1 season

In fact Robinson was AWFUL against us, people were calling for his head after week one. When Morelli played well in one of their tuneups they were questioning Joe Pa's decisions...they went 11-1, a record they wouldn't have reached with a Freshman QB top rated or not.

You never sacrifice a season for the TEAM because of one guy. If Grothe is the best chance to win now I'm all for it. However, 1 game against a D-IAA team isn't going to totally convince me of that.

Well, I guess Grothe will get a good test this weekend against FIU. Like I said, I believe Grothe will be up to the task. Here is to a good game without any injuries.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Published Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Tuesday, September 5, 2006

South Florida's QB Grothe to Start

By PAT ZIER

Lakeland Ledger Correspondent

TAMPA -- Lake Gibson's Matt Grothe will be South Florida's starting quarterback Saturday when the Bulls play Florida International in Tampa.

USF Coach Jim Leavitt released his team's depth chart Monday and listed Grothe ahead of Pat Julmiste, who opened for the Bulls against McNeese State last week.

Grothe, a 6-foot, 200-pound redshirt freshman, ignited the Bulls' attack after entering the McNeese game in the second quarter with USF trailing its Division 1-AA opponent, 7-0.

Aided by reserve running back Walt Smith of Bartow, who scored two touchdowns, Grothe scored once and threw for two more six-pointers as the Bulls came back to win, 41-10.

Smith, who replaced injured starter Moise Plancher, was the Bulls' leading ground gainer with 70 yards on seven carries.

Grothe gained 58 yards on 10 carries and completed 9-of-13 passes for 171 yards with no interceptions.

After the McNeese game, Grothe said he had "no idea" whether or not he would replace Julmiste, who started the two previous seasons.

"That has nothing to do with me, other than how I play," Grothe said. "Its up to the coaches."

If Grothe is able to sustain his play at quarterback, it would have a major impact on the Bulls, who have an outstanding defense, toward the end of the season.

"We have a young team and we have to mature," Grothe said. "One good thing, we have some of our toughest games later in the year, so that gives us a chance to improve and get where we need to be."

And Joe,

I hope you know that it has been reported that Grothe has been playing better than Julmiste during the fall practices. Sure Leavitt was stating that the QB position was even, but I really dont buy that from him. If that were the case then Grothe would have not been slated to start the second half during the McNeese St game. Leavitt was just being loyal to his senior which was exactly what got Joe Pa in hot water @Penn St a few years ago. Joe Pa would be loyal to his players by playing his upperclassmen while sitting his more talented freshmen. Well, last season Joe Pa changed his philosophy, and the rest was history as he had a stellar year playing freshmen. The point is that Grothe does give USF the best chance to win, so I dont want Leavitt playing a senior because he wants to be loyal. If Grothe stinks up the next two games then you will have a valid argument to bring back Julmiste, but until then it should be Grothe's job to lose now.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  348

Everyone is treating it like it's open and shut. PJ has seen these better defenses, Grothe hasn't.  

More the reason to get Gothe in Early this season to get the reps in befor we get to the tougher part of our schedule

If (and I hope it dosen't happen) Grothe struggles against a much better defense at FIU everyone will blame the coaches. And then there will be 30 threads on firing Rod Smith again.

Rod Smith still needs to go.  It not a matter of IF the contraversy comes up again, but WHEN.  (and for good reason)

I just think we need to see how THIS game against FIU plays out before annointing teh starting QB for the 1st test in UCF.

Like it or not Grothe is the future of this team for the next few years.  PJ has had plenty of time to learn what 1-A NCAA ball requires from a QB, but again hasn't been able to show it consistently on saturdays.   I'm not saying Grothe has, (obviously) but leadership is something are offence is going to need bad, and new quarterback with 2 or 3 good showings can spark the entire offence mentally.