• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lost in all the Grothe hype...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

1.  Cedric Hill

Dude led the team in receiving, largely due to his one big play that sparked the team in the 3rd quarter.  He pulled in the pass between 3 or 4 McNeese defenders and turned on the jets.  BIG TIME speed, the kind of speed Carlton Hill showed last year when he got into the open field.  Good job running behind his blockers too.  Big kid, long legs, looked like a gazelle shooting down the right sideline on that play.  This kid is going to be something special.

2.  Ean Randolph

How the hell did this kid play NAIA ball last year and not make a 1-A roster?  Electric on punt returns.  Needs to be a bit more decisive on them, however.  VERY shifty moves, protects the ball... a playmaker.  Only 3 catches for 24 yards with 1 TD, but a 32 yard punt return and a 31 yard kickoff return mixed in there.  Special teams sparkplug a la DRube in the making here.

3.  Walt Smith

7 carries for 70 yards, 2 TDs.  Ten yards per carry.  I know it's a 1-AA tune up, but Ricky who?  Moises who?  This kid runs like a bulldozer covered in butter.  Quick but not speedy, runs into traffic and somehow slipped out the other side still moving forward WITH the ball.  If this is is our 3rd string back this year, we are in GOOD hands on the ground.

4.  The Running Game

Ponton and Plancher out, and our 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th options (Smith, B. Williams, K. Dorsey, and Erskin... do we go that deep?!) account for 187 yards on the ground!

5.  Delbert Alvarado

Petrov's shaky start made this kid look even better, but man he punted well when he came in.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Impressed with Walt Smith and Williams. Plancher did look good in the limited time he was in there. I hope the injury is not serious. We could have a very nice mix of RB's when all is said and done.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

The trainers were messing with his knee cap and the tendons near it... hope it isn't bad   :o

5.  Delbert Alvarado

Petrov's shaky start made this kid look even better, but man he punted well when he came in.

Petrov had 1 punt for 24 yards and 1 fumble in the endzone.  That was bad.

Alvarado had 1 punt for 31 yards - sure, compared to Petrov it's good.  But a 31 yard punt ???

McNeese's punter averaged 35 yards and had a 47 yard punt...

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

On the punting situation...

Petrov got two bad snaps...he did screw up by not falling on the ball in the endzone for the safety.

Alavardo's snap didnt even make it to him, hit the turf, he picked it up and then punted it.

The punting didn't look Brandon Baker-like but come on, they've got to get the ball with enough time to not get murdered back there.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Alvarado looked more composed.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484

The trainers were messing with his knee cap and the tendons near it... hope it isn't bad   :o

DONT JINX US :-/

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I loved Plancher I thought he was great and i hope he's ok, he's going to be a very good and fast back overtime. Guys like Walt Smith and Benjamin Williams looked good, part of it was a product of a I-AA team, part of it was teh Oline creating great holes. This team has never had a problem putting big rushing numbers up against small D-IA or I-AA opponents, it's the games against teams like Pitt, Miami, and UConn that worry me. For some reason when we get against tougher Dlines we always let them beat them.

I'm concerned that this team took until the 3rd quarter when the McNeese defense was gassed to make a mark.

Here's what I liked (outside Grothe)

1) Defense, played very well and was quick to the ball. If we play this well against other teams we should be able to hold them down. Once again teh stats were low, but it was a D-IAA team. I like the way our DBs and LB were quick and there on every play.

2) Amarri Jackson - He didn't lead the team in receptions but I though he played the best. Downfield blocks and everything. He could be our most complete WR this year.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997

I loved Watson too. I was really nervous until he got the ball and got into the flow.

What was up with  this guy? More "loyalty?"

LYDBJTHMOWQWNEU.20060828155532.jpg

Colby Erskin

# 29

Running Back - RB

Height:      5-9        Weight:      185

Redshirt Freshman

Previous Affiliations:    Seminole HS

Seminole, FL

Last night: ERSKIN,Colby 5-5 and that was a fumble (his) at the goal line. Lucky ruling saved the opportunity for a TD.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719
  • Days Won:  0

2.  Ean Randolph

How the hell did this kid play NAIA ball last year and not make a 1-A roster?  Electric on punt returns.  Needs to be a bit more decisive on them, however.  VERY shifty moves, protects the ball... a playmaker.  Only 3 catches for 24 yards with 1 TD, but a 32 yard punt return and a 31 yard kickoff return mixed in there.  [highlight]Special teams sparkplug a la DRube in the making here.[/highlight]

My thoughts exactly.  I am looking for some great returns from this kid.  Especially after reading S. Bien's post about him returning 4 for touchdowns at Weber.