• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Students at the Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433
  • Days Won:  0

Great job students and Band....thanks for setting the tone.  If it's to be...it's definitely up to you.  I get so tired of casual fans and people yapping about nothing all around me.  I wish I could be a student again!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

As for the field level seats. As some one told me a few years ago, a lot of our corporate ticket holders are fans of other teams. Well Florida and ND were playing it's game at the same time. So On TV it looked pretty bad, hopefully they'll show up better next week. Can't look good for recruits watching on TV to see a basically empty stand from the camera view.

Well, that's kind of my point about the powers that be having no idea how to market a college football team. They're treating us like we're the Bucs, when we're completely different in terms of fan interest and marketing. IT. LOOKS. AWFUL on television and makes for a cavernous feeling if you're anywhere other than the student section.

You build fan loyalty (and thus, money) by showing your own loyalty to the people who are your biggest supporters -- and by "support," i mean presence.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1,066

As for the field level seats. As some one told me a few years ago, a lot of our corporate ticket holders are fans of other teams. Well Florida and ND were playing it's game at the same time. So On TV it looked pretty bad, hopefully they'll show up better next week. Can't look good for recruits watching on TV to see a basically empty stand from the camera view.

Well, that's kind of my point about the powers that be having no idea how to market a college football team. They're treating us like we're the Bucs, when we're completely different in terms of fan interest and marketing. IT. LOOKS. AWFUL on television and makes for a cavernous feeling if you're anywhere other than the student section.

You build fan loyalty (and thus, money) by showing your own loyalty to the people who are your biggest supporters -- and by "support," i mean presence.

Amen, brother!

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  662

i'd also like to thank the cheerleaders for doing an awesome job last night, even though they did start that awrful cheer...the wave, while we were on defense

That's the whole point of doing the wave...to distract the other team.  We are carefully instructed that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES are we to be leading cheers when the team is on offense, and we are to get everyone noisy as heck when the other team has the ball. Make sense??? yeahhhhh

And thanks for the compliments regarding the cheerleaders! We had a girl blow out her knee, tear her ACL on our last practice before the game, so we had a TON of switching around to do, putting in alternates and what not.  So we appreciate that!!!

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  433

Honestly, I like'd that i saw there from the students ... we were loud, we were upset, we got right back in the game when things turned around and we never gave up on them although we were nervous just like the rest of you guys!

I was even told that from the field we were louder then they have ever heard us before.

This is all great for the first game but we have 5 more home games to go and we need to keep this going for all of them!

and if you're not a Student Bulls Club member and a BULLie, you need to e-mail me right away so we can take care of that

Mratner1@mail.usf.edu

GO BULLS!!

Ratner

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

i'd also like to thank the cheerleaders for doing an awesome job last night, even though they did start that awrful cheer...the wave, while we were on defense

That's the whole point of doing the wave...to distract the other team.  We are carefully instructed that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES are we to be leading cheers when the team is on offense, and we are to get everyone noisy as heck when the other team has the ball. Make sense??? yeahhhhh

And thanks for the compliments regarding the cheerleaders! We had a girl blow out her knee, tear her ACL on our last practice before the game, so we had a TON of switching around to do, putting in alternates and what not.  So we appreciate that!!!

i understand about not cheering when the offense is on the field, my whole gripe about doing the wave is that people who are doing it/trying to get it started, spend more time working on it and then watching it go around, then on the game and actually cheering on the team.  that stinks about the girl who blew out her knee, you all made it look good for being a last second thing.

Guest R_to_the_izzo

The student section was much more packed then last year. The Studs and the Bullies had a few words pregame, but I think we got it figured out and will be on the same page for the rest of the season.

I'l continue to get to the gates 30 minutes early and be in the front row, and in all of the pictures in the gallery. ;D

Now it's time for the alum/other fans to get in the game. The 5 MCneese fans sounded louder than you guys.

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

While I don't mind having students pack the game I do mind having an extra 75 people on the first row.  If someone wants good seats then get there early like I did.  I have a freakin' bruise on my leg from people pushing against me!!

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

i understand about not cheering when the offense is on the field, my whole gripe about doing the wave is that people who are doing it/trying to get it started, spend more time working on it and then watching it go around, then on the game and actually cheering on the team.  that stinks about the girl who blew out her knee, you all made it look good for being a last second thing.

For the cheerleaders' sake, maybe they should know the meaning and history of the wave.

The whole point of the wave is that it is originated in the audience, as a reaction to the utter boredom that is happening on the field. Thus, the wave should NEVER be initiated by the cheerleaders, as that's basically admitting that they're not accomplishing anything involving cheering for the on-field action.

Never in my life until last night have I seen cheerleaders initiate the wave. Not their fault, they don't know any better, but just something to keep in mind. The Wave is a "slap in the face" to the players, in essence: "Do something! We're bored."

(To know more, read "Human Waves in Stadiums" IN Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Volume 330, Issues 1-2, 1 December 2003, Pages 18-24 by Farkas, Helbing, and Vicsek.)

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

For the cheerleaders' sake, maybe they should know the meaning and history of the wave.

The whole point of the wave is that it is originated in the audience, as a reaction to the utter boredom that is happening on the field. Thus, the wave should NEVER be initiated by the cheerleaders, as that's basically admitting that they're not accomplishing anything involving cheering for the on-field action.

Never in my life until last night have I seen cheerleaders initiate the wave. Not their fault, they don't know any better, but just something to keep in mind. The Wave is a "slap in the face" to the players, in essence: "Do something! We're bored."

(To know more, read "Human Waves in Stadiums" IN Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Volume 330, Issues 1-2, 1 December 2003, Pages 18-24 by Farkas, Helbing, and Vicsek.)

Perhaps that was the origin, but at the least, it gets some people to actually wake up.

I'm not a big fan of the wave, but there are pros to it in addition to the cons.